I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: AJS
Company Details: Nomad
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

PDAL

Post by sudo_ki »

I'm wondering if any folk here have a decent amount of experience writing pipelines for PDAL.

I have used it loosely for various functions in the past, but never a start to finish project.

Is it worth getting into? Or should I save myself and stick with cyclone?
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: PDAL

Post by jedfrechette »

I wouldn't think of it as a replacement for Cyclone (although I have thought a little bit about what it would take to build an interactive registration package on top of it) but PDAL is fantastic. It's the first tool I'll look at for any non-interactive point cloud related task. I really like how the tools are structured and there are often ways to write pipelines that are massively parallel so it can be quite efficient.

I'd absolutely suggest more people take a look at it as I think it will only get better.
Jed
sudo_ki
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by sudo_ki »

hey jed,

https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 44&t=13792 maybe you remember this post from a few years ago. Unfortunately I haven't been working with laser scan data since, but it seems i may have the opportunity once more.

I see your point.

have you come across http://www.open3d.org/? I was pondering using this instead, but i've never put large data sets through it, would love to see someone test its limits
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

I think much of that discussion is still entirely relevant. Open3D looks pretty cool too, although not a project I've had a chance to play with myself.

One interesting development in this general area is the recent proposal to work on point cloud visualization inside QGIS via PDAL:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancemen ... issues/194

Certainly PDAL is much more targeted at geographic scale data compared to Open3D, which seems more targeted at object scale data. Ground-based scan data is somewhere in between, so I could see both being valuable.
Jed
sudo_ki
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by sudo_ki »

A project like this is well overdue, so nice to see that someone has found the time and motivation to pursue it. Being able to present clients with a project file which contains vector, rasta and point cloud information is really where we need to be. QGIS is a great tool for accomplishing that.
Certainly PDAL is much more targeted at geographic scale data compared to Open3D, which seems more targeted at object scale data. Ground-based scan data is somewhere in between, so I could see both being valuable.
Absolutely.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

sudo_ki wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:07 am
A project like this is well overdue, so nice to see that someone has found the time and motivation to pursue it.
Agreed, I just saw on the PDAL mailing list that they are setting up a crown funding drive to pay for.

https://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk//crow ... loud-qgis/

They're only looking for $49k euros ($58k usd) for the initial work which seems totally doable if a few companies see the potential value pitch in.

I know I am planning to make a pledge. The development pace and responsiveness to bug reports that I've observed from both QGIS and PDAL make me think it is a pretty good investment.
Jed
sudo_ki
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by sudo_ki »

XD I was just coming back to post the same link!

i'll be making a donation myself :)
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

Hello there!

I'm developing a simpla autamtion script and i use pdal for subsample, etc but i'd like to filter out or assign inetnsity color to completely black or white points, my main problem is i cannot create a new dimension with the sum of the rgb colors.

i can flter to red or blue or green but i cannot add/multiply dimensions of course it must be an issue on my end..

I cannot get over with the documentation..

I can copy the dimension to a new one with ferry, but after that how should it be done?

{"type":"filters.ferry","dimensions":"Red=>MergedColor"}

after that i should assign the MergedColor to Red+Green+Blue I've tried several versions without success

{"type":"filters.assign", "assignment": "MergedColor[:]=Red+Green+Blue"}
{"type":"filters.assign", "assignment": "MergedColor=Red+Green+Blue"}
{"type":"filters.assign", "assignment": "MergedColor[:]=Red[:]+Green[:]+Blue[:]"}

And i've got error message seen below:
PDAL: filters.assign: Invalid value for argument 'assignment'.

I've tried with
{"type":"filters.assign", "value": "MergedColor = Red + Green + Blue"}
but similar result seen below
PDAL: filters.assign: Unexpected argument 'value'

pdal --version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pdal 2.0.1 (git-version: Release)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

badam wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm i cannot add/multiply dimensions of course it must be an issue on my end..
This is the kind of thing you would want to use one of the language filters for, e.g.:

filters.python
filters.matlab,
filters.julia
Jed
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

jedfrechette wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:19 pm
badam wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm i cannot add/multiply dimensions of course it must be an issue on my end..
This is the kind of thing you would want to use one of the language filters for, e.g.:

filters.python
filters.matlab,
filters.julia
Yeah that's what i found out as well, And i would choos python but will it have any perf degradatioon over other filters? because it is a jit language and i think it can slow down things Matlab, never used that, julia as well maybe I should write a plugin for that if i see performance degradation.But i'll try the python filter firstly, and i almost did what i need. And more, I always liked pdal, but now its just got better...

Return to “Open Source Software”