Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: AMD THREADRIPPER PRO 3995WX

Post by smacl »

dhirota wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:37 am Since my last update, I have been installing more software on my TR PRO running W10 Pro installed on a 1 TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe stick. Although it has a 5 year warranty, there is also an endurance limit that comes with the warranty. The majority of most people will probably be under the endurance limit in their use of the SSD/NVMe stick. Shown below are some of the parameters to consider.

SAMSUNG-980-PRO.jpg

I used the Samsung Data Migration software to copy all the information on the 1TB 980 PRO to the 2TB stick. If you have ever copied a boot disk with 200+GB on it, the time with a SSD might take 30 to 60 minutes. In this instance, it took a total of 6 minutes as seen on the screenshot below.

DATA-MIGRATION.jpg

One of the significant reasons for the increased boot disk size besides speed is the accumulation of programs and data as well as endurance as shown in the table above. With the ability to track the health of our boot SSD/NVMe disks and raid individual HDDs it is important to check the remaining 5 year warranty to receive a better idea of system stability.
A couple of thoughts on this. Firstly, how would an endurance failure manifest itself? My understanding was that SSDs typically performed read after write verification so a write failure would result in a bad sector, the write happening to another sector and a net effect of the usable disk space being reduced but no lost data. Secondly, choice of RAID strategy becomes important here. Using RAID 1+0 for example is going to provide both redundancy against drive failure while also halving the number of writes to each drive hence delaying endurance issues. The redundancy cost is needing twice the number of drives and slots per TB so robust but expensive.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

if we are talking about safety then i'would choose zfs over any kind of raid, you have the oportunity the create snapshots, bitrot protection,etc. Of course then you will need high performance networking for example 10g, 25g,40g and the latency still lag behind it depends on the usecase, but we currently using reg360 over 1g ethernet and still working perfectly fine some of the tasks are io botlenecked but most of them is fine. and the data safety is more important then speed in a lot of cases. and not to mention we can load the projects from different machines in just a moment.

and the second advantage is that you have lot more storage space then any other solution. we have 21 drives in 3 raidz2. of course this is a small storage server. we are going to replace our networks to 10 g in the near future.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

smacl wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:35 am Firstly, how would an endurance failure manifest itself?
All the SSD's I've had fail got really, really, I mean unusably slow. I'm no expert, but I think that's the typical failure mode rather than abrupt failure and data loss. Fortunately, all the crypto bros are busy testing this for us as we speak.

Big +1 for ZFS, it is amazing and I wish something similar existed in Windows land.
Jed
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

jedfrechette wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:13 pmFortunately, all the crypto bros are busy testing this for us as we speak.
Looks very much like the CHIA miners will be hoovering up the big HDDs rather than the SSDs as from what I've read the SSDs are failing pretty quickly. Looking forward to the next crypto crash so I can put together a new system without being gouged on prices.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

smacl wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:34 am
jedfrechette wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:13 pmFortunately, all the crypto bros are busy testing this for us as we speak.
Looks very much like the CHIA miners will be hoovering up the big HDDs rather than the SSDs as from what I've read the SSDs are failing pretty quickly.
I think they need both, fast SSDs to create their lottery tickets as quickly as possible and then big HDDs to file them away.

The giant waste of resources that is crypto can't die soon enough.

Interesting reddit thread from that world about endurance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chia/comments/ ... _and_tear/
Jed
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

jedfrechette wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:36 pm
smacl wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:34 am
Looks very much like the CHIA miners will be hoovering up the big HDDs rather than the SSDs as from what I've read the SSDs are failing pretty quickly.
I think they need both, fast SSDs to create their lottery tickets as quickly as possible and then big HDDs to file them away.

The giant waste of resources that is crypto can't die soon enough.

Interesting reddit thread from that world about endurance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chia/comments/ ... _and_tear/
Jed

Thank you for searching for the documentation on what I did in my last post to enhance endurance of my W10Pro boot drive (Samsung 980 Pro, 2TB). The significant difference from your referenced discussion shown below, is my 100% vs the suggested 10% over-provisioning for an additional cost of US$200.

SSD-ENDURANCE.jpg

If you are building a system for the future, better acquire some parts now before the BIDEN costs make it prohibitive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I just learned another thing about keeping your SSD/NVMe running with over-provisioning. This time Samsung has it running on their Magician version 6.3.0 (maybe earlier, but I never look at all the options).

MAGICIAN-OP.jpg

This is running on a HOME PC with a 860EVO 1TB boot drive. I still think I am better off with a 100% OP using a 2TB boot drive on my TR PRO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

jedfrechette wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:13 pm ....
Big +1 for ZFS, it is amazing and I wish something similar existed in Windows land.
Jed

Again, your comment on ZFS suggested that I spend some time to refresh my memory on when we were using Sun Microsystems too many years ago. As part of this TR PRO 3995WX build, I mentioned earlier on this thread of using the system for both W10 Pro and Ubuntu applications. Having additional storage on this workstation is an important component when using many of the applications that we are evaluating.

Below is an older, but relevant reference on ZFS, Raidz Performance, Capacity and Integrity for those that might not be familiar with ZFS.

https://calomel.org/zfs_raid_speed_capacity.html
ZFS.jpg

We have been using the LSI/AVAGO raid controllers for many years (with spares), and are using the 9361-8i controller on all of our raid6
systems. For those folks who are thinking of running dual OS systems on a single workstation, this has been working very well for us for at least 3 years on 4 workstations. We are able to read and write files in applications running using both OS Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 18.04 using the same raid6 system (PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR APPLICATIONS TO SEE IF IT WILL WORK FOR YOU). This is very helpful if you need to use raw or processed files between OS systems and not copy large files between OS. We have been using the Enterprise SAS models of Seagate HDD and think, but not detailed tested, we are getting better reliability and speed from them.

1.W10PRO-LSI-AVAGO.jpg
2.W10PRO-LSI-AVAGO.jpg
3.W10PRO-LSI-AVAGO.jpg
UBUNTU-PC88E.jpg

You can see the same folders in both the W10 Pro and Ubuntu directories.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

i'm curious about the new mach2 drives from seagate. it could mean that we can double the io/bandwidth of our storage with same amount of drive...

for us we are good to go for 4-5 years, with 21*18 378tb raw capacity.

we also used lsi cards from ebay during our build.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

badam wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:44 pm i'm curious about the new mach2 drives from seagate. it could mean that we can double the io/bandwidth of our storage with same amount of drive...

for us we are good to go for 4-5 years, with 21*18 378tb raw capacity.

we also used lsi cards from ebay during our build.
Adam

Seagate has been apparently selling the Exos 2X14 since 2019 to many of the "cloud folks", but not to people like us. Shown below are some clips from the review of Tom's Hardware

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/seaga ... -exos-2x14

1.TOM'S-SEAGATE MACH.2 Exos 2X14.jpg
2.TOM'S-SEAGATE MACH.2 Exos 2X14.jpg
From the testing on our TR PRO 3995WX Raid6 with 8X12TB Seagate SAS, we easily get 500+ MB/sec transfer today depending on file composition, and file destination (same disk system, local NVMe/SSD or other networked devices).

In 4-5 years, you may not have 21X18TB HDD to purchase unless you are on the Ebay refurbished market, but 10X50TB for new storage.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “General Chat”