Looking for Instruction for Total Station Use

Post any education related material or training courses that are available to assist with getting users trained in laser scanning.
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Looking for Instruction for Total Station Use

Post by sreed »

Forum Members,

Can anyone direct me to a good resource for learning and operating a total station? Theory and practice. I am not interested in Community College classes or Surveying Courses generally as they have too much focus on legal matters - though even those are difficult to find. I'm interested in the math and technology and software associated with total station use and applications, and maybe some GPS/GNSS modules. We have a subscription to Lynda/LinkedIn Learning.

Thanks,
-S.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Looking for Instruction for Total Station Use

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

This is an interesting question with few answers. I never came across a course to operate an instrument.

I know of a few youtube channels which do some small courses "OTENBuildingCourses", "Illinois Surveyor". Have a look at those, pretty old but they do the basic and therefore the essentials
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Ηire a surveyor for a week or better work with him some weeks, if it was too easy everyone will do it.

It’s like to say I want to be a doctor can anyone teach me how I will make a surgery.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

sreed wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:01 am Forum Members,

Can anyone direct me to a good resource for learning and operating a total station? Theory and practice. I am not interested in Community College classes or Surveying Courses generally as they have too much focus on legal matters - though even those are difficult to find. I'm interested in the math and technology and software associated with total station use and applications, and maybe some GPS/GNSS modules. We have a subscription to Lynda/LinkedIn Learning.

Thanks,
-S.
This is going to vary significantly by manufacturer and software used onboard or on the logger. If you already have the total station, I'd recommend talking to your supplier to buy some training on its usage. For the theoretical side of it, I'd look to see what's online at the universities teaching surveying rather than LinkedIn learning. Charles Ghilani used to offer some great online courses through Penn state though not sure if he's retired at this point. As indicated above, surveying is a degree level course that demands a lot of field experience before you'd be considered competent. Much like laser scanning, there's a bit more to it than might be pointed out to you by the eager survey salesperson out to make their commission. That said, a few days training would certainly get you started for small works once you're given and apply throrough methodology with decent QA. Plenty of good introductory text books out there on surveying worth reading too.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

As mentioned, either shadow a surveyor for a while or look at a course. You don't have to go all lout, try a diploma or have a look at The Survey Association (TSA), they are based in the UK but do online training, I think you can pick and choose as well
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva

Post by sreed »

Thanks for all the feedback from the Forum. All good suggestions and i'll follow up on each suggestion!

Return to “Training Workshops & Online Tutorials”