Overengineered hex-key-security-holder-thingie

Please post discussions that do not fit into any other category.
Plaete
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Patrick Brand
Company Details: DUT
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Overengineered hex-key-security-holder-thingie

Post by Plaete »

(for your exhilartion)
Using a 2-Way Telescopic Tripod with extension rods, we have to use a hex-key to fasten these extensions. Especially when working over manholes and lowering the scanner into it, I am always feared of loosing the hex-key into the dark, smelly sewage and remaining with a 4 meter long rod not being able to unloose it.

Possibility #1: Having a spare allen key (boooooh!)

Possibility #2: Using a 3d-printer, bearing, retractable key chain, expensive software and a little bit of trial & error to create the most over-engineered solution to this problem.

Now the hex-key is fastened with the keychain to the tripod, not being able to get lost anymore. The bearing allows turning the hex-key and fastening/loosing the extension-rods without entangling with the keychain. BOOM!
keychain3.gif
keychain_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Overengineered hex-key-security-holder-thingie

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Plaete wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:06 pm (for your exhilartion)
Using a 2-Way Telescopic Tripod with extension rods, we have to use a hex-key to fasten these extensions. Especially when working over manholes and lowering the scanner into it, I am always feared of loosing the hex-key into the dark, smelly sewage and remaining with a 4 meter long rod not being able to unloose it.

Possibility #2: Using a 3d-printer, bearing, retractable key chain, expensive software and a little bit of trial & error to create the most over-engineered solution to this problem.

Now the hex-key is fastened with the keychain to the tripod, not being able to get lost anymore. The bearing allows turning the hex-key and fastening/loosing the extension-rods without entangling with the keychain. BOOM!

keychain3.gifkeychain_small.jpg
Nice solution.

I have a third one : keep the keys bought with your ikea packages in the car ;-)
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Overengineered hex-key-security-holder-thingie

Post by sim.herrod »

Plaete wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:06 pm (for your exhilartion)

keychain3.gifkeychain_small.jpg
Having done exactly what you describe with that tripod, this kind of over-engineering makes me happy. :lol:

Return to “Any Other Issues”