Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Spot Rigs the Game

Post by Scott »

Boston Dynamics' Robot Dog Starts New Work On BP Oil Rig
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/bo ... bp-oil-rig
The virus pandemic is accelerating the trend of robots replacing humans in the workplace. One robot that is quickly being adopted by mega-corporations is Boston Dynamics' compact four-legged robot, called Spot.

June was the month when Boston Dynamics began selling Spot. By July, Ford Motor Company received the robot dog, equipped with five cameras to survey its Van Dyke Transmission Plant in Michigan.

Ford employed the four-legged robot over human surveyors to save money and time. The Michigan-based automobile manufacture isn't the only company embracing robot dogs to complete mundane tasks generally performed by humans. Reuters notes BP Plc has programed Spot to "read gauges, look for corrosion, map out the facility, and even sniff out methane on its Mad Dog rig."

Cont... w/ 5 min. video
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Re: Spot Rigs the Game

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Well... I still have about 30years till my retirement. Hope I can ride the wave and not loose my job as a surveyor. Wish there will be a somewhat of a revolution, some sort of "human only accepted" type of client haha.

Interesting stuff nevertheless. Makes a lot of sens to have a drone like that accessible from anywhere in the world that can be used by anyone to manually inspect a specific area. It would defenitivelly work for small 3d scan survey (not huge c2c surveys, but small c2c survey it would be great, bigger surveys you will need targets)
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

Hot Spot Report
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/bo ... yl-reactor
Boston Dynamics' Robot Dog Builds "Radiation Map" Of Chernobyl Reactor
Spot, the autonomous robot dog, from Boston Dynamics, was equipped with radiation sensors to create a map of the radiation coming out of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, according to news agency Ukrinform.

Researchers at the University of Bristol and nuclear experts from the State Specialized Enterprise "Central Enterprise for Radioactive Waste Management" recently deployed the four-legged robot to the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant Zone that has been abandoned since the catastrophic meltdown in 1986. The site has since been covered up with layers of steel and concrete to keep nuclear material from escaping into the atmosphere.

Weekly measurements around the Chernobyl site are mainly done by humans, which puts them at risk, unlike Spot, a robot who could do so without putting humans in grave danger of radiation poisoning.

cont...
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/hy ... bor-costs
HYUNDAI BUYS $900MM STAKE IN ROBOT-DOG MAKER BOSTON ROBOTICS
"Now that SoftBank has unwound the options-trading strategy that earned it the nickname "the Nasdaq Whale", the Japanese telecom-VC hybrid is resorting to unloading pieces of its portfolio to try and generate badly needed liquidity.

Reuters reports that SoftBank is unloading Boston Dynamics, the robotics company known for its terrifying "robot dog". "Spot", the autonomous robot dog, recently made headlines for building a radiation map of Chernobyl.

Hyundai Motor Group, the South Korean carmaker, has agreed to take an 80% stake in BD. The deal values the robotmaker at $1.1 billion (which means Hyundai paid some $880 million for its stake).
Any readers who are wondering why a carmaker might want to buy a fledgling robotics company, the answer lies in Hyundai Motor Group chairman Euisun Chung's pledge to reduce reliance on traditional car manufacturing. To accomplish this, the company is exploring methods to streamline its plant operations, cutting reliance on human workers and the pesky unions who represent them."

cont...
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/ny ... -criminals
NYPD To Deploy Robotic Dog To Combat Criminals
Dubbed "Digidog," the Boston Dynamics robot weighs 70 pounds and is able to move at a maximum 3 mph.

"This robot is able to use its artificial intelligence to navigate things, very complex environments," NYPD TARU's Deepu John said.

This is the department's only robot dog, and during the latest testing phase, it has been used a few times in the field. The existence of the robot came to light in late October after it assisted in a suspect's arrest in Brooklyn.

This particular robot model, known as Spot, has been put to work in other applications this year, including work on an oil rig, nuclear power plant, car plant, and military base.

Digidog is capable of two-way communication and could also be used by NYPD to enforce mask-wearing - this was seen earlier this year in Singapore."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant

Post by jcoco3 »

Well this is hilarious:

youtu.be/fn3KWM1kuAw

I have not been much for the personification of robots, but if your robots are this good then I will let it slide :lol:

Marketing genius! The agility demonstrated raised my hopes about the future use of robots for scanning in the difficult spots.

Reference article:
https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2020/12/2 ... cing-video
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

What the ZeroHedge reader's think :D
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/bo ... -new-video
Boston Dynamics Robots Learn How To Dance In Creepy New Video
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/sp ... orld-ahead
"Spot's Rampage" Event Awakens Us With Reality Of Dystopian World Ahead
"To summarize the company's manifesto. It said: "See Spot KILL!! Spot is an empathy-building tool, because: Cute and approachable!"

Update with new title: Watch Live: Boston Dynamics Spot Robot Goes On Rampage With Paintball Gun
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/sp ... orld-ahead
Update (1330 ET): More than 20 minutes into the live broadcast (watch here), internet users worldwide have been allowed to control (for two minutes) a Boston Dynamics Spot robot with a mounted paintball gun.

Users are selected randomly by a company called MSCHF, will be given two minutes to run amuck in a makeshift art gallery.

Have fun, LSF ~S
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant

Post by jcoco3 »

I almost didn't post the following, but what the heck its Friday 8-)
That was an amusing article. An interesting and almost ironic response form Boston Dynamics, as military drones with the ability to remotely kill in an impersonal way have been around for a long time. From their response I don't think MSCHF's use aligns well with Boston Dynamic's mission.
"See Spot KILL!! Spot is an empathy-building tool, because: Cute and approachable!"
Those guys are clearly joking and poking fun.

I don't really blame B.D. for wanting to avoid this type of publicity, as it unravels the story of the playful and helpful dancing doggy persona their marketing has projected. If I was trying to market a dog robot I don't think a terminator version would be my approach or a version that will take everyone's jobs, but so much of technological improvement is inherently that. Still, I view this paintball gun scenario more on the side of a video game or virtual reality for the sake of entertainment and their own publicity rather than actual warfare. One might say it would not take much more effort to instead mount a lethal gun on the robot, but that is a slippery slope fallacy and in this case they did not actually do that.

The phrase,"Technology is neither good nor bad, its how we use it that decides." popped into my mind. I didn't know where that came from aside from the depths of my cloudy memory and imagination, so I searched and found:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Kranzberg
which lead me to:
https://www.technologystories.org/first ... cond-laws/
and the realization that I should be slower to formulate an opinion on the matter.

Must be Philosophy Friday :lol:
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

Spot has a brother "Digidog":
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/aoc ... ghborhoods
AOC Blasts NYPD's New "Robo-Surveillance Ground Drones" For Poor Neighborhoods
"Digidog is like any Boston Dynamics Spot robot - though this one is equipped with lights, two-way communication, and video cameras."
"Social media was not enthused with NYPD's actions to purchase a Boston Dynamics Spot.
One person tweeted: "destroy it at all costs. destroy every boston dynamics robot you see in the wild."
Another said, "I'm sorry, but @BostonDynamics needs to ban these types of uses. Their tech should be used to enrich people's lives and to help society, not oppress it. I absolutely love their work, but I will not shed a tear if every single one of these gets destroyed by citizens."
We showed last week just how easy a weapon (though a paintball gun) could be mounted on one of these robots.
It's only a matter of time before these robotic surveillance dogs are deployed to low-income neighborhoods across the US."

Scanning is supposed to shed light in a positive, constructive way--not reflect a Black Mirror episode. A clever dog, but poor PR for our growing profession, IMHO. ~S

Return to “Robotic Scanning Solutions”