Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Ultimate Computer Setup for Processing RTC360 Data

Post by smacl »

dhirota wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:18 am I believe the i9-7980X is cheaper than the i9-9980XE that I have or the newer i9-109980XE, but if you overclock it , it will probably have similar throughput. The Ryzen 3970X has more cores, but it will depend on the applications one runs.
If you look at the following comparison between the i9-7980XE and the 3970x you'll see the 3970X is also faster on all single threaded benchmarks as well as being much faster on multi-threaded benchmarks. On Amazon UK it is currently also cheaper at £1,474 vs £1,771. With those stats I think you'd need to be reasonably confident that specific applications will perform better to go the i9 route. For my money, the 3970x is at the sweet spot of price/performance on the threadripper range.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

smacl wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:08 am For my money, the 3970x is at the sweet spot of price/performance on the threadripper range.
Anandtech agrees: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11891/be ... rkstations
Jed
Landmåler
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Michael
Company Details: Landmåler
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Landmåler »

Tookie wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:33 pm Ryzen will take DDR4 5000 memory but the infinity fabric halves in speed after 3600 so your limiting bandwidth for diminishing returns.

I think DDR4-3600 CL16 is the sweet spot if you can find it.
I'd like to ad here that I'm now running a threadripper 3970X with two kits of F4-3600C16Q-64GVKC in X.M.P so full speed on the memory.

Thanks for the input!
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Carbix »

smacl wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:08 am
dhirota wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:18 am I believe the i9-7980X is cheaper than the i9-9980XE that I have or the newer i9-109980XE, but if you overclock it , it will probably have similar throughput. The Ryzen 3970X has more cores, but it will depend on the applications one runs.
If you look at the following comparison between the i9-7980XE and the 3970x you'll see the 3970X is also faster on all single threaded benchmarks as well as being much faster on multi-threaded benchmarks. On Amazon UK it is currently also cheaper at £1,474 vs £1,771. With those stats I think you'd need to be reasonably confident that specific applications will perform better to go the i9 route. For my money, the 3970x is at the sweet spot of price/performance on the threadripper range.
With how much of our process are not multi-threaded, would not a 3950x be the better value choice at 2/5th the price. Single-core boost is higher.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

It's probably worth noting that with AMD's Zen 3 architecture (5xxx series part numbers) now available, that's probably where you should be looking for best performance. They seem to handily beat all of the other Intel and AMD CPUs in both single and multithreaded workloads. Benchmarks below:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/am ... 00x-tested
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... ndup-1962/
Jed
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Carbix »

jedfrechette wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 pm It's probably worth noting that with AMD's Zen 3 architecture (5xxx series part numbers) now available, that's probably where you should be looking for best performance. They seem to handily beat all of the other Intel and AMD CPUs in both single and multithreaded workloads. Benchmarks below:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/am ... 00x-tested
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... ndup-1962/
Sorry, I meant 3960x and the 5XXX lineup is sweet buuuut wait until you need way WAAAAAAAY more ram. 3XXX ThreadRippers cap out north of 2Tb of ram. where 5000 caps out at 128mgb.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Carbix wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pmWith how much of our process are not multi-threaded, would not a 3950x be the better value choice at 2/5th the price. Single-core boost is higher.
Carbix wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:32 amSorry, I meant 3960x and the 5XXX lineup is sweet buuuut wait until you need way WAAAAAAAY more ram. 3XXX ThreadRippers cap out north of 2Tb of ram. where 5000 caps out at 128mgb.
3960x is certainly an excellent price / performance choice as is the 5950x, worth noting the Threadripper motherboards are that bit more expensive too. It depends to a large extent on how long you plan to use your PC before replacing it and how proactive your software suppliers are about providing updates. I think Leica have been pretty good in this regard in recent times and wouldn't be surprised to see more of their single threaded code rewritten as multi-threaded. Other big advantage of the 3960x is that you have more threads available as a drop in upgrade without having to change your hardware, re-install all your software, etc... where the 5950x is already top of the line.

Personal bias, the tools I use and the software I write tends to be heavily multi-threaded so the 3970x is probably the sweet spot for me in terms of price/performance with 5950x as another very attractive option. As you know well yourself, choice of kit comes down to your own personal needs which are best understood by carrying out your own computer performance analysis with your own data and workflows.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

How many scans do you need in a project before it exceeds 128 GB?
Jed

Return to “Leica Geosystems”