NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Discuss all NavVis related products here.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Post by GeorgSchroth »

Haven't had the time to post a few more video of VLX scans (I rather have to work on scaling production these days), but here is one of a plant :)
We will try to make a better video using the software from Nubigon since it doesn't need to stream the point cloud as it as a desktop based SW.
Really good for visualizations.

Also there will be a video coming from Brooklyn Bridge shortly :)

youtu.be/PGJ4YCgw2oA
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

The hurricane, Douglas was supposed to hit HNL at 2PM, today. I have all our electronic equipment shutdown except for 3 power workstations and my laptop, still cranking.

Thank you for all the kind notes, emails, and texts from LSF folks insuring that we would survive this hurricane, since many pass through this space between July and October every year. The last big one in 1992 did US$3billion of damage and I was fortunate to visit Kauai a few days later to see newly designed projects with cement roof tiles penetrated through garage doors and walls.

The good news is the weather folks have not predicted the track and force of the hurricane as usual (so far), so at 2PM I a took a photograph from our office front door toward the HPD main office as shown below.

20200726_134505.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

I hope everything goes well.
Best wishes,
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

As promised Marek did a swift scan of the Brooklyn Bridge :)
Standard settings have been applied since we haven't released the new outdoor preset settings which will extend the range of the VLX.
Have a look:

youtu.be/hI7mmi1ATwg
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

We just released IV2.7 to enable sharing & annotation & planning with our new measurement tool. I hope NavVis IV enables us (means laser scanning professionals) to not "just" deliver point clouds and models and fight for the lowest price. Rather I believe we need to extend our offering towards collaboration tools to get our data into the hands of project managers and their stakeholders.

viewtopic.php?f=229&t=16586
I added a few videos to check it out.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

dhirota wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:46 am
I probably will be posting less information since it seems that I have answered all of the questions or no one is interested to see if the VLX will do anything different than what most people are doing on the LSF.
Dennis

Probably don't have the same opportunity that we do here near the Potomac River, But I would really like to see one of these units scan a longer underground culvert or tunnel. Like very large 8-9' x 20'.
We have a lot of old ones in the Metro DC Suburban area when they enclosed many open the streams/hydrology lines 70-100 years ago for development. Thinking of targeting through traversing targets on culvert walls and checks through available surface drain openings.
It's becoming a bigger issue with the rate of storm flooding to be on the rise in the next 5 years from projects reports
We also didn't get to do a very big busy intersection- quite a bit larger than that Honolulu one- and a nightmare for Static scanning
I may have to get Marek to make another trip out of NY.......I agree with you about images and their value while capturing a job
By the way I agree with Shane-I'm jealous of the beauty of your work environment.......
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

gsisman wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:04 pm
dhirota wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:46 am
I probably will be posting less information since it seems that I have answered all of the questions or no one is interested to see if the VLX will do anything different than what most people are doing on the LSF.
Dennis

Probably don't have the same opportunity that we do here near the Potomac River, But I would really like to see one of these units scan a longer underground culvert or tunnel. Like very large 8-9' x 20'.
We have a lot of old ones in the Metro DC Suburban area when they enclosed many open the streams/hydrology lines 70-100 years ago for development. Thinking of targeting through traversing targets on culvert walls and checks through available surface drain openings.
It's becoming a bigger issue with the rate of storm flooding to be on the rise in the next 5 years from projects reports
We also didn't get to do a very big busy intersection- quite a bit larger than that Honolulu one- and a nightmare for Static scanning
I may have to get Marek to make another trip out of NY.......I agree with you about images and their value while capturing a job
By the way I agree with Shane-I'm jealous of the beauty of your work environment.......
Steve and Shane

Thank you for the comments.

The NavVis folks are really cranking up the software features for IndoorViewer. Hopefully the outdoor color balance will be available soon.

Long, straight, dark projects may be a problem for the VLX. We may need to test how dark/illumination will the VLX require to produce decent images. We recently scanned part of underground parking with overhead lights turning on and off as we moved through the space. The images were not a good as constant illumination or direct sun light.

Drift will be a problem for long projects without targets.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

Agreed, long tunnels without much structural elements look like a rail to the SLAM systems. You need something to hold to. Otherwise the SLAM might slip a cm to the back and the trajectory would be wrong.

One could try with bringing bigger artificial structures on the height of the horizontal scanner into the tunnel, but that's certainly an experiment. There are, however, dedicated scanners for tunnels that use laser trackers or a very expensive IMU: https://images.app.goo.gl/Jxt9Rmgakz83h8qw9

For the dynamic objects problem, like cars on the street or persons on a construction site passing by, our processing software has a dedicated algorithm that takes those artifacts out. You just have to make sure that you saw the structure that you wanted to scan at all and not only the persons / cars ;)
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Here is an interesting project. Scanning my neighbor's home lower level with a NavVis VLX for a renovation after he has retired from being a professional Japanese basketball manager.

He has had a home below us for the last 30+ years, unfortunately no lighting in lower levels. I used 5 US$10 Costco hurricane emergency lights to illuminate a pathway around the space, so I would not kill myself.

07-31-2020 09-23-48 AM.jpg
07-31-2020 09-26-34 AM.jpg
07-31-2020 09-47-54 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

dhirota wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 pm Here is an interesting project. Scanning my neighbor's home lower level with a NavVis VLX for a renovation after he has retired from being a professional Japanese basketball manager.

He has had a home below us for the last 30+ years, unfortunately no lighting in lower levels. I used 5 US$10 Costco hurricane emergency lights to illuminate a pathway around the space, so I would not kill myself.

07-31-2020 09-23-48 AM.jpg

07-31-2020 09-26-34 AM.jpg

07-31-2020 09-47-54 AM.jpg
nice and crisp data Dennis. 👍
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “NavVis”