Maximum number of scans

Discuss Trimble Realworks software here.
JkX7
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jiri Krejci
Company Details: DiGiTry Art Technologies
Company Position Title: SEO - Photogrammetry and laser scanning
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Maximum number of scans

Post by JkX7 »

Hello, how much is your bigger project? We have finished last week one project of scanning historical railway station in Prague (Praha Hlavní nádraží - https://goo.gl/maps/5ghb1F9LM1z2yD3M6) and we have 1847 scans with 1,9 bilion (1 900 000 000) points of pointcloud. And we are experienced of limitations of RealWorks. With this number of scans is RealWorks lagging and not responding. Our workstation have 128 GB RAM, 3,7 GHz XEON, two 240 GB SSD drive in RAID (system) and two 2TB drive for data.
I don't know if will help increase of pagefile or another tweak of system.
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews

Re: Maximum number of scans

Post by jaredmatthews »

Try break the project down into smaller chunks.

You no not need ALL stations always loaded in when registering.

Once you have registered (for example the externals), you can export that cloud, leave in a few connecting scans for the internals, and then start registering the internal scans.

This way your PC doesn't have to struggle and constantly try to display billions of points
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

JkX7 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:37 am Hello, how much is your bigger project? We have finished last week one project of scanning historical railway station in Prague (Praha Hlavní nádraží - https://goo.gl/maps/5ghb1F9LM1z2yD3M6) and we have 1847 scans with 1,9 bilion (1 900 000 000) points of pointcloud. And we are experienced of limitations of RealWorks. With this number of scans is RealWorks lagging and not responding. Our workstation have 128 GB RAM, 3,7 GHz XEON, two 240 GB SSD drive in RAID (system) and two 2TB drive for data.
I don't know if will help increase of pagefile or another tweak of system.
Don't know much about real works, but the following is worth checking in terms of hardware.

Your system seems a few years old and it is probably worth seeing where the bottleneck is. If you run task manager while the system is lagging, you can see which component is causing the problem. If you have a eight core processor and the CPU is constantly close to either 12.5% or 100% your program is CPU bound (12.5% single threaded = 100/8, 100% multi-threaded). Same for disks and GPU. If the bottleneck is disk, it is a reasonably cheap and easy upgrade to to get newer faster SSD drives which could be a big improvement. Same for GPU, a bit more expensive but an easy upgrade. If you're CPU is showing 100%, a new CPU with bigger core count would help a lot but could be a major upgrade or even new workstation. CPU showing 12.5% (or 100 / number of cores) suggests you'd get the best performance upgrade by moving to a software solution that was properly multi-threaded.
task.jpg
Personally, on that workstation, I'd swap out the old SSDs for faster 1TB models anyway. You shouldn't really need any swap file with 128gb RAM on a 1.9 billion point cloud, but if you do this will show up as disks hitting 100% on the performance tab. As Jared has said above, the best solution could be modifying your workflow to deal with smaller amounts of data in memory at any one time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
martinuslv
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Martin
Company Details: GEO Development
Company Position Title: Laser scanner manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by martinuslv »

Only problem is your ssd. You must upgrade to m.2 with pci express 4.0. The fastest possible. I use trw for 5 years and as i see the hard drive speed is most important factor. I had 2100 scan project. When use ssd it hangd up, after intaling m.2 disk, i get to result.
JkX7
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jiri Krejci
Company Details: DiGiTry Art Technologies
Company Position Title: SEO - Photogrammetry and laser scanning

Post by JkX7 »

Thank you all for reply. main problem seems to be slow harddrives and we are swapping to new pair of ssd. Our workflow is to assemble floor, stairs, exterior in chunks which are join together for georeferencing.
Pajosh2
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Pavel Grée
Company Details: XGEO
Company Position Title: executive one
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Pajosh2 »

Have similar problems with 1000+ scans in RW. Help: SSD RAID0(cheap-fast), resection-best when RW start freezing, hide part you do not need. PG.

Return to “Trimble Realworks”