NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Discuss all NavVis related products here.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Post by GeorgSchroth »

dhirota wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:29 pm Lieven

It did leave MUC yesterday, and is stuck in FRA until Wednesday, July 1 leaving for DFW. It will arrive in HNL, July 2 at 2:21P HST if I am lucky.
Uff, ok I will check with our team if we can help accelerate things.. let me know if you see a way.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

Just in case you need an expensive package from Germany or EU quickly, I would suggest that you check other alternatives than DBSchenker or American Airlines Cargo. Checking on their tracking airbill, it appears that it sat in a warehouse for 8 to 10 days in Munich, DE to fill up an airlines container in Munich according to the nice DBSchenker person in the USA (blaming the other company). Why it took 3 days to leave FRA? When I called AACargo @ DFW this morning 5 hours before AA5 leaving, they did not know if it was loaded or since it left early for HNL, whether it was on the flight (see planned after leaving on the list).

07-02-2020 09-10-02 AM.jpg

Hopefully, my VLX will show up this afternoon in HNL. I will be doing some generic testing on range and imaging of the VLX over the long July 4th weekend since I will not be able to upgrade the software in the VLX until next week when we upgrade our M6 as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

It is hard to believe that the NavVis VLX finally showed up in HNL. As usual, with any technology arriving from outside the USA and Hawaii, the locals are always trying to shaft you for a few extra $. At HNL, they want another US$50 terminal fee for American Airlines Cargo and the politicians here. I then had to wait another 2 hours since the DBShenker airbill that AACargo had did not have my name and/or company name and they would not release it to me. I had to tell them that DBShenker did not have an office in HNL, so they had to figure out who represented them, which they did in another 30 minutes.

Lucky that the woman that came to pay the US$50 and sign for DBSchenker was significantly more graceful than I was becoming after 2.5 hours at AACargo.

The box was larger than I thought it was going to be, since I was looking forward to placing the VLX into one of my RIMOVA suitcases to streamline carrying it on a plane. It is interesting that our VLX serial number is smaller than I thought it would be.

20200702_161239.jpg

Still charging batteries, so no data capture until tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

dhirota wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:59 am ... streamline carrying it on a plane ...
Hi Dennis, on that point (and yes I could probably pull from spec sheet) - how big are those batteries? I assume lithium of some flavour and more than 100mAh? Our airlines get very twitchy over the 100 mark.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

4 Li-ion batteries

each=98Wh, 8Ah/14.4V

charge from = 2.5 hours

NavVis also provides 6 wooden door stops
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Veit
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Veit Streicher
Company Details: Navvis
Company Position Title: Consultant

Post by Veit »

jamesworrell wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:59 am
Hi Dennis, on that point (and yes I could probably pull from spec sheet) - how big are those batteries? I assume lithium of some flavour and more than 100mAh? Our airlines get very twitchy over the 100 mark.
Hi James,
our engineering was careful in the design and battery capacity to match travel requirements. Crossing fingers that this rules will last :x

Veit
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

The VLX manual and video need some help in explaining to an older person with glasses, how to see all the small characters, and symbology on a display that is exactly the same size as my iPhone 6, which is getting itself ready to be trashed. I do not know if a larger screen like my Samsung 10+ would make any difference. Hopefully by Monday, the holiday will be over and I can get some training help to figure most of it out. I used my living room rug to help check out reading the screen during the accelerometer calibration, so I can lie on something soft and not scratch any lenses or scanners.

20200703_081452.jpg

The lenses that NavVis is using are 4 each 195deg superfisheye 4K+, 20Mpixel images. I still need to figure out how the automated image capture works every time, or is it better to manually click and move faster. The Germans at NavVis have done a great job on calibrating the Hawaii blue sky when compared to some of the other EU people that think sky is gray.

00000-pano.jpg

Another component that NavVis is using is the Samsung T5 1TB SSD for external storage, which has USB-C (3.1 at 540 MB/sec) in a black color. This allows the transfer of data from the VLX very quickly. I decided that the black color hides the SSD on the VLX, which also black in the location of the SSD. I decided to order two Samsung T7 (USB-C 3.2 at 1050MB/sec) in red to better identify their location. Also check to see if your processing workstations have USB-C either 3.1 or 3.2. Fortunately, all our processing workstations have USB-C, both 3.1 and 3.2.

Tomorrow, July 4th holiday for scanning with the VLX.

07-03-2020 07-00-41 PM.jpg
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

Good to see you have received the VLX safely, and I very much look forward to you putting it through its paces.. ;)
Thank you
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

July 4th no fireworks and it is raining, so no VLX scanning outdoors until the rain stops.

As I indicated earlier, I need some help and practice in getting the optimal image capture nailed down on the VLX. As indicated earlier, the VLX has a bunch of pixels to use on colorizing the point clouds generated by the two Velodyne sensors. The post-processing software, SiteMaker, allows you to set the range of the laser's computation between 10 to 100 meters, where the default is 30 meters. One would expect to use the maximum for outdoors or a large indoor space, but spreading of the point cloud with increased distance from the sensor may not be optimum for visualization.

The Hawaii Loa Ridge Park, 4 doors from my home, was used as a project to scan using the Hexagon BLK2GO and posted on the LSF thread below:

viewtopic.php?p=85267#p85267

I used it again with the VLX, but the imaging needed significant help, so I am planning to scan it again since it should take me about 10+ minutes. No targets were used, only NavVis registration.

Screenshot from 2020-07-04 09-52-21.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-07-04 09-53-14.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-07-04 09-54-43.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-07-04 09-55-00.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-07-04 09-57-07.jpg
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

jamesworrell wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:59 am
dhirota wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:59 am ... streamline carrying it on a plane ...
James:
A little more investigation into the VLX batteries (98V-mount) shows that they are also being used with many high end cinema and video systems. These people are into reliability of the product and ability to transport batteries all over the world, so it is a good sign that NavVis is using them for power.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “NavVis”