Comparitive scans, Leica, Faro, Trimble

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
TByers
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Tyler D Byers
Company Details: PCL Constructors LTD
Company Position Title: Field Coordinator
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Comparitive scans, Leica, Faro, Trimble

Post by TByers »

This is fantastic. Thanks so much for doing this and keeping us all in the loop. Another testament to how valuable this forum can be! Keep it up!
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Would be interesting to see the performance of the Z+F 5016. That scanner produces a very clean point cloud.
MajorDomo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo

Post by MajorDomo »

Good exercise.

For photogrammetry, distortion is not an issue, variable settings are.
Set all the parameters on the lens to fixed, focus and aperture. both of those produce shifts in the focal length, and to distortion .
Photogrammetry always has issues with lighting, and cross polarization won't work in an environment that has light bouncing around (like the real world, outside of a blacked out studio), it will improve it, but never fix it, better to do a few passes with different light setups.
You can choose to vary the shutter speed, or the ISO, or both to compensate for different brightnesses, that unbalances colours, but it's the fastest way to get it done.
Consider doing texturing passes separate to the photogrammetry.
Use the biggest possible baseline you can, that fits in one photo, you can also have a few scale bars around the scene, but even there nothing stops warping or variable scaling of the geometry, other than independent control with a higher level of precision.

Yeah, the cheapest option equipment-wise is the most expensive in man-hours...
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by dhirota »

MajorDomo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am ...

Yeah, the cheapest option equipment-wise is the most expensive in man-hours...
Major

Your perfect comment is what all the guests (and some registered members) on this forum should learn sooner than later.

LESSON LEARNED: It is better to have the tax people help pay for the equipment up front, than to have the hole in your pocket and lose it as payroll.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Dave Foster
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: David Foster
Company Details: RIEGL UK
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by Dave Foster »

This is a great thread and providing interesting results. The Riegl VZ-i series would perform very well in these tests. Unfortunately, we can't organise a field trip for a test scan, due to the travel restrictions currently in place.

From clients in the cultural heritage domain we learnt the combination of the laser scanner and a high-quality camera is of great value. The user has full control over many aspects including f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, bracketing if needed, etc, to cover varied lighting conditions. Although the VZ-i series are not dome scanners, the gaps in data on the ceilings are filled just as well if not better, than the nadir gaps all scanners create. To give you an idea, how the data may look, here is an example of a castle in Austria, scanned with a VZ-2000i.

What might be of interest in this context is the creation of panorama views from the pointclouds with RiPANO.
The plugin to RiSCAN PRO creates an out of the box panorama viewer, that can run from a flash drive, or be hosted on any standard webserver for free.
With the RiPANO viewer users can create their own side / plan views and sections on the fly. These views can be exported in a variety of formats including dxf for subsequent use in CAD applications. A hosted project can be found here: pano.riegl.work
SV-SCR006426.png
SV-SCR006425.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts

twitter: @fozzy116
HagaeusBygghantverk
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Thomas Hagaeus
Company Details: Hagaeus Bygghantverk AB
Company Position Title: Dictator

Post by HagaeusBygghantverk »

I have never considered the Riegl for this kind of purpose because of its limited field of view. Very interesting to see it used for that. Is the 100 degrees evenly spread up and down from the horizon or is it more to one side? Is the gap filled in by the camera or how do you capture the ceiling in a small room?

Thinking about it, 100 degrees really equates to 200 degrees if you compare to dome scanners, since they count both sides.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Scott »

Re: RiPANO
Thank you for the nice example using RiPANO. I appreciated the way traditional conventions: plan view, section marker, and scale bar, were combined with the pano locations, in an intuitive, clean layout. Most clients would like this deliverable.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

HagaeusBygghantverk wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:51 pm I have never considered the Riegl for this kind of purpose because of its limited field of view. Very interesting to see it used for that. Is the 100 degrees evenly spread up and down from the horizon or is it more to one side? Is the gap filled in by the camera or how do you capture the ceiling in a small room?

Thinking about it, 100 degrees really equates to 200 degrees if you compare to dome scanners, since they count both sides.
The key is to scan a few positions more to fill the gap if necessary. Because a scan is done within 45 seconds (or even faster in my case for interiors), this problem can be solved.
Scott wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:16 am Re: RiPANO
Thank you for the nice example using RiPANO. I appreciated the way traditional conventions: plan view, section marker, and scale bar, were combined with the pano locations, in an intuitive, clean layout. Most clients would like this deliverable.
Ripano is an excellent product. The client likes it, i use it myself to check and view even if i have the project in Riscan. A lot of possibilities that even i don't even know. No fiddling about with settings, just upload through an ftp software to the webserver and ready to go.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Dave Foster
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: David Foster
Company Details: RIEGL UK
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by Dave Foster »

HagaeusBygghantverk wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:51 pm I have never considered the Riegl for this kind of purpose because of its limited field of view. Very interesting to see it used for that. Is the 100 degrees evenly spread up and down from the horizon or is it more to one side? Is the gap filled in by the camera or how do you capture the ceiling in a small room?

The 100 degrees FoV is in one direction so yes if you make comparison to a dome scanner then 200 degrees makes sense! From the horizontal, it's 40 degrees down and 60 degrees up. 14mm lens fitted to the camera covers the FoV fully.

The speed of the scanner means multiple positions to cover the gaps is not an issue. Indoor I often use a setting that is 30s per position.
Dave

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts

twitter: @fozzy116
HagaeusBygghantverk
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Thomas Hagaeus
Company Details: Hagaeus Bygghantverk AB
Company Position Title: Dictator

Post by HagaeusBygghantverk »

Phew!

The report is done! Enjoy!
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=5E1 ... QL55w&em=2" width="476" height="288" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

A comparison of scans v1.1.pdf is also in the folder to download (link in the first message).

Thank you for good feedback!

I will happily continue to compare other scanners, but right now, after two years of studying, I need to make some money first. Beginning next monday, I will start restoring Rosersberg slott. Would love to scan it as well of course. https://www.kungligaslotten.se/english/ ... alace.html

/Thomas Hagaeus

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”