V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Camera for P40

Post by steves01x »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:22 pm I started a discussion on this topic on Linkedin. Some great replies so far
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/lsbbvba_ ... 89696-yGbp
All good and valid.

Time is money with colour, although on non rgb jobs i do take some quick scans with colour / pics with the camera for our own use in production etc .
Formula1982
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stephen Ferrari
Company Details: UTEC StarNet Geomatics
Company Position Title: Technical Lead

Post by Formula1982 »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:49 pm People need understand the exponential costs of a colorized Pointcloud. It isn't free. Even with #rtc360 the field time alone on a 500scan Project is 10 hours which will mean 1 to 2 shifts more in mobilization and staff costs just for field activities. Then Registration is an exponential time factor after also in the office. Not to mention your data even once into ReCAP as *.PTS import is at a Minimum 33% larger... So if you want color, you better realize that it costs!!! And we aren't talking a small cost increase. In the case of a 500scan job using an #rtc360 the Basic #pointcloud alone is going to cost a minimum of 3 times more than a simple plain #pointcloud. so in the #3DLS world if you want color you better realize it isn't free and recognize the exponential costs of a colorized #pointcloud over the simple "LaForge" view #pointcloud. If color is necessary it should be independent of scanning with a true camera platform. Leave scanning for geometry and good pointcloud data. Good photos require different stationing, different lighting a d different perspectives. So scan to optimize scanning and do a photo campaign to optimize for photos. If necessary to colorize the Pointcloud itself there software packages out there that will do that
You must have a different workflow to us, as whilst it definitely takes longer for colour, around 25-35% longer, it's nowhere near as bad for us as it sounds for you.
We've had discussions with clients about colour/no colour in the past but their designers ALWAYS want the option to toggle in their software between realistic rgb and intensity/greyscale. It gives them 2 options if they're struggling to identify something, but more than this it makes what they're looking at more intuitive if it's RGB.
Secondly, they want the 360 images that come from the service not just to colourise the data, but as separate georeferenced jpg files to use as a virtual tour. They aren't interested in doing that in highly pixelated 360 degree images of greyscale pointcloud - they want the high resolution, HDR imagery.

We have a range of camera systems in our stock, and you mention that for you, colour imagery should be independent of scanning. In our experience not only do our customers absolutely love the imagery they get off our RTC360's, our surveyors really appreciate how quick and simple it is to capture with no additional equipment to take on/off the tripod. Plus our processing teams appreciate that they can basically 'forget' having to do anything with imagery/colourisation, as it's now done automatically. So even though we have the capability to separate the photo/3D elements of a job, it seems that every link in our production chain from surveyor to client loves the results from the scanners which combines the two well.
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Rikore »

We use several methods of collecting imagery, but mostly use the Canon 80D with a nodal ninja. Our work flow has it done faster than the internal camera options. I use PTGui and then fix the panos in Adobe. The latest version of cyclone has issues aligning the panos, but there is a work around. For us, great images are the key for our projects. However, time is on our side and we don't have budgets to deal with. I agree with the others that color is over rated on most scan projects, but for us, it is a must.
GavFoster
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Gavin Foster
Company Details: Offset Services Ltd
Company Position Title: Photogrammetry - Laser Scan

Post by GavFoster »

It's hard not to colour scan data when our clients often ask specifically for coloured data. All you can do is make the process as efficient as possible.
Yes it takes longer on site , yes it takes longer to process the data , yes the data is bigger but you have to work this into the overall cost.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

I want to choose a good panorama head in order to colourize scans from a P40 and also for photogrammetry purposes.
I was thinking an automatic panorama head from panocatcer 1000 euro or pixplorer500 from rodeon aproximatelly 5000 euro but they are too expensive, so i decide to go to a nodal nidja type for 300-400 euro.
Can anyone explain me how i will set the camera properly (sony a 7rii with sigma lenses 14mm 2kg weight at the center of the nodal), i will have no parallax issues?
The center of the rotation of z and y axis will be the same?
Dirkie2710
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Dirkie Uys
Company Details: Landpartners
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Skype Name: duaus

Post by Dirkie2710 »

Ioannis wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:30 am I want to choose a good panorama head in order to colourize scans from a P40 and also for photogrammetry purposes.
I was thinking an automatic panorama head from panocatcer 1000 euro or pixplorer500 from rodeon aproximatelly 5000 euro but they are too expensive, so i decide to go to a nodal nidja type for 300-400 euro.
Can anyone explain me how i will set the camera properly (sony a 7rii with sigma lenses 14mm 2kg weight at the center of the nodal), i will have no parallax issues?
The center of the rotation of z and y axis will be the same?
It's pretty simple. See the below link.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/findin ... llax-point

Best using a prime lens, as any zoom lens will differ based on the focal length. Also once you determined the "offset" it doesn't change (on prime lenses).

Here is a table that shows a number of lenses and their "offsets"

https://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Anyone tried theta z1 or similar solution like nctech in order to colouring pointcloud with p40. It’s many months since we last discuss this topic and I would like to know if anyone find a better solution.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

Ioannis wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:08 am Anyone tried theta z1 or similar solution like nctech in order to colouring pointcloud with p40. It’s many months since we last discuss this topic and I would like to know if anyone find a better solution.
Depending on the purpose of the photos.

But we run a BLK360 with all C and P series scanners. You do get the colorized BLK360 photos and LGS file.

Register the P series data in itself and constrain it. Then bring in the BLK360 data.

The BLK360 provides some redundant checks on the PointCloud and can infill if needed. Plus it gives the Photo.

Can export all stations, or just the P series stations or just the BLK360 stations for a 360 viewer.

Also if you control the BLK360 with the Matterport app, you can host the BLK360 data in Matterport.

Alternatively see if your can't find the DSLR handle that was for the "C" series scanners. You'll need have Leica unlock the firmware on your ScanStation but that is abother solution that is built by Leica. There is a small routine on startup to calibrate the camera to the scanner so that you don't Get bad paralax
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by JNally »

I used and hated the istar, as mentioned above buggy buggy. I also used the Canon with a Nodel Ninja that was pretty good, you would use PTGUI to stitch the photos together and then import to cyclone. Best one I ever used though and the most expensive was the SpheronVR, you get that an the adapter for the nodal point. the picture quality is 200mp and its amazing. Workflow is a tad clunky. But gives good results.
Majid_noori
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: MAJID DOOST
Company Details: PointSharePlus Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Director

Post by Majid_noori »

Ioannis wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:08 am Anyone tried theta z1 or similar solution like nctech in order to colouring pointcloud with p40. It’s many months since we last discuss this topic and I would like to know if anyone find a better solution.
I have been using Z1, there still remains a bit of parallax but very quick solution when you are not fussed about accurate results and just coloured point cloud.
Cheers
MAJID

Return to “Leica Geosystems”