V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Railway Bridge - RTC360 - Reg360->Cyclone - video made with Recap

Post by Scott.Warren »

Heyo,

Made a short video of one of our recent small projects, a bridge site in Vermont. We captured 3 bridges total, 2 being shown in this video. we used survey targets, a mix of paper targets and Tilt 'n Turns. Med res, with images and vis on. We used a telescopic tripod for 2 purposes:
1. To get better/more data on the top of the larger rail bridge without having to send a person out there (no railing, long drop into rocks or rapids)
2. collect bridge abutment details where a conventional total station couldn't reach without a lot of offsets
We captured 200' +/- of ground data up/downstream of the bridge, and a good view of the water line/edge (consistent elev), and boulders in the watercourse itself. This was not the goal of the field survey, but was used by our draftspeople none the less. I did very little cleaning of the point data, and no editing of the HDR imagery.

Lots of trees and leaf litter, a rough trim of the tree's crown made the reg a little easier. Vis worked fairly well, lost a VIS-lock a few times in the thicker trees. Tablet was used to correct tilts and get the c2c started. Did targeting in R360, then imported into Cyclone Core. Import times into R360/Cyclone core still seems stifled by the HDR/file size, be nice to import more than 1 at time (on initial import).

I made the video in Recap easily enough. The process was straight forward, although Recap Crashed bunch, so save often. A mix of RV and 3D states. seems easier than trying to make a flight-path and cameras in Cyclone or Pointools.

youtu.be/5Rnovcdc4Fc

Let me know your thoughts, and happy new year!
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Re: Railway Bridge - RTC360 - Reg360->Cyclone - video made with Recap

Post by stutosney »

Scott.Warren wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:56 pm Heyo,

Made a short video of one of our recent small projects, a bridge site in Vermont. We captured 3 bridges total, 2 being shown in this video. we used survey targets, a mix of paper targets and Tilt 'n Turns. Med res, with images and vis on. We used a telescopic tripod for 2 purposes:
1. To get better/more data on the top of the larger rail bridge without having to send a person out there (no railing, long drop into rocks or rapids)
2. collect bridge abutment details where a conventional total station couldn't reach without a lot of offsets
We captured 200' +/- of ground data up/downstream of the bridge, and a good view of the water line/edge (consistent elev), and boulders in the watercourse itself. This was not the goal of the field survey, but was used by our draftspeople none the less. I did very little cleaning of the point data, and no editing of the HDR imagery.

Let me know your thoughts, and happy new year!
Hi Scott,

Nice work, just completed scanning 6 rail bridges and 13 tunnels myself. We used a P40 as we were extracting the rail in some parts where it wasn't safe to access (the bridges had no guard rails). Our imagery is not he best, but we used the on-board P40 camera as it wasn't essential. i have attached some images below of one of the bridges:
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Did you extract the rail at all, if so, how did you find the RTC360 for accuracy for that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
graham.watson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Graham Watson
Company Details: Road Science
Company Position Title: Technical Lead - High Speed Data

Post by graham.watson »

Nice work Scott
MikeDailey
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Mike Dailey
Company Details: Survey work
Company Position Title: Office Tech

Post by MikeDailey »

Scott.Warren wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:56 pm Import times into R360/Cyclone core still seems stifled by the HDR/file size, be nice to import more than 1 at time (on initial import).
Are you using imagery to color point cloud only or are you exporting panos to use as deliverables as well?

If you just want a colorized point cloud, adjust your cube image resolution for quick imports.

5120x5120 = 1 Scan at a time
4096x4096 = 2
2048x2048 = 4

You can definitely tell a difference when viewing the panos but it seems to make very little difference for colorization. I've been going back and fourth between 2048x2048 and 4096x4096. I can't tell if I really notice a difference when viewing the cloud or if it's just my mind telling me I should see a difference.

Also, do you really feel that time is saved importing into REG360 - assign targets - import to core? The target assignment in R360 is definitely nicer but is it worth the double import? Is there more storage space required for that workflow?

Return to “Show off Past Projects”