Exporting a Walkthrough

Please post any tips or advice you have in general relating to laser scanning either whilst onsite or office based.
EstatesSpace
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Space Manager
Company Details: UCL
Company Position Title: Space Manager

Exporting a Walkthrough

Post by EstatesSpace »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to laser scanning. I would consider myself a beginner, having only used the BLK360 a few times.

I'm trying to get my workplace to purchase a laser scanner and am trying to put together a business case. We are a university, so essentially the client. We manage everything from new capital projects to minor works and O&M.

One of the questions I have been asked is if you can create an exportable "walk through" from the HD images that are taken from the scans. I have found examples on YouTube of flythroughs of the point cloud images but not of the images. Would this be possible?

Also, any advice about creating a Scan-to-BIM digital twin of our campus is welcome. I'm assuming this doesn't replace a CAFM system but links to it? What platform do you put a model like this on? Is it one complete model of the campus (200+ buildings) where you "check out" a building you want to work on or do you save each building separately? Also, how can colleagues that won't have access to the scanning software be able to view the 360 degree HD images?

Thanks for any tips/advice!
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Exporting a Walkthrough

Post by MarkJLane »

You can export your images from your registration software and host them online. I publish mine as a VR walkthorugh for clients to explore, see below. https://discob0-b3e5f.web.app/

With regard to digital twins, you can also host them online. Autodesk Forge can even allow you to build a viewer that can integrate spherical images and even readings from IOT devices.
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
SonofOdin
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Darnea Olson
Company Details: Helix RE
Company Position Title: Senior Manager Reality Capture
Skype Name: Darnea Olson

Post by SonofOdin »

EstatesSpace wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:36 am
Also, any advice about creating a Scan-to-BIM digital twin of our campus is welcome. I'm assuming this doesn't replace a CAFM system but links to it? What platform do you put a model like this on? Is it one complete model of the campus (200+ buildings) where you "check out" a building you want to work on or do you save each building separately? Also, how can colleagues that won't have access to the scanning software be able to view the 360 degree HD images?

Thanks for any tips/advice!
For this kind of service check out Helix RE (https://helixre.com/). I've been in the laser scanning industry since 2015 scanning sites for the oil and gas sector to architectural and manufacturing. I'm currently working with this company and our whole business is Scan-to-BIM and creating digital twins.
bobbyf90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Bobby Fenttiman
Company Details: Private
Company Position Title: Revit operator Trainee
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by bobbyf90 »

Hi Mrk,

That app is great! How can I publish my own? Did you make it yourself?
Mrk wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 am You can export your images from your registration software and host them online. I publish mine as a VR walkthorugh for clients to explore, see below. https://discob0-b3e5f.web.app/

With regard to digital twins, you can also host them online. Autodesk Forge can even allow you to build a viewer that can integrate spherical images and even readings from IOT devices.
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager

Post by MarkJLane »

bobbyf90 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:46 am Hi Mrk,

That app is great! How can I publish my own? Did you make it yourself?
That's right - it's a custom web app. At the moment I make each one manually, but I may automate it and launch it publicly down the track.
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM

Return to “Tips & Advice”