I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Arthur Kowalski
Company Details: Podium Group
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

New to Scanning - Looking for Recommendations

Post by ArthurPodium »

Hi All,

I've recently started to look into using laser scanning for work and found this Forum and was hoping to see who can assist me in pointing me in a direction to start. Apprecaite any suggestions/recommendations.

I work in construction and my main applications are to inspect substrates such as concrete floors and gyprock walls in bathrooms. To be able to check against the relevant codes of flattness, plumb, squareness, etc. Areas can be from a 2m x 2m bathroom to a 20m x 20m concrete floor. What i was hoping to achieve was to be able to provide a heat map of the floor and or walls or provide evidence to show how far out of level/square/flatness a substrate is from where it should be. I am working to an accuracy of 1-2mm

What would you all recommend to look into as in a unit and software to deliver these outcomes?

Will spend the evening reading through the forum but if anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Arthur
tomii7
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tomasz Gerlich
Company Details: OutPut Precision Ltd
Skype Name: tomek.gerlich

Re: New to Scanning - Looking for Recommendations

Post by tomii7 »

Hi (Czesc!) Arthur,

I think from my experience it will be good if you could play with Leica Cyclone Register or Survey license.
For your purposes Survey license has got more applications such as floor flatness.
Also, it will be worth to play with new Leica Cyclone and 3D reshaper.

If you have more questions, guys from LSF can help you or If you cloud send me an email I'll try to answer your questions.
-----
Best Regards,
Tomasz Gerlich

tomaszgerlich[at]outputprecision.com or tomaszgerlich[at]gmail.com
+44 7756613300

www.outputprecision.com - Reality Capture
www.realitycapture3d.com - Matterport

OutPut Precision Ltd, Manchester, UK
jmiller2103
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jay Miller
Company Details: Madigan Surveying
Company Position Title: Surveyor draftsman 3D modeler

Post by jmiller2103 »

ArthurPodium wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:38 am Hi All,

I've recently started to look into using laser scanning for work and found this Forum and was hoping to see who can assist me in pointing me in a direction to start. Apprecaite any suggestions/recommendations.

I work in construction and my main applications are to inspect substrates such as concrete floors and gyprock walls in bathrooms. To be able to check against the relevant codes of flattness, plumb, squareness, etc. Areas can be from a 2m x 2m bathroom to a 20m x 20m concrete floor. What i was hoping to achieve was to be able to provide a heat map of the floor and or walls or provide evidence to show how far out of level/square/flatness a substrate is from where it should be. I am working to an accuracy of 1-2mm

What would you all recommend to look into as in a unit and software to deliver these outcomes?

Will spend the evening reading through the forum but if anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Arthur
Arthur,

We have seen a huge rise in the number of asbuilt flatness slab scans we are conducting, probably due to the uncertainty of the slabs quality, this has now become part of major handovers and has been written into contracts to ensure that the slab has been created within tolerance, usually 3mm over 3m straight edge. We use the Leica P series which gives us a great results which we contour on a 0.5m grid then overlay with a colour elevation image. Clients have been extremely happy with the results due to its clarity and speed of delivery. Let me know if you need anything or I can point you in the right direction. See attached a floor levelness colour image, where each colour represents a nominated colour deviation usually 5mm.

Regards,

Jay Miller | Laser Scanning | Madigan Surveying Pty Ltd / Laser Scanning Pty Ltd

T 61 3 9819 9599 | F 61 3 9818 2322 | M 0475 777 233

96 Morang Road, Hawthorn VIC 3122

E [email protected] | W www.madigan.com.au | W www.laserscanning.com.au
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JFlammVDC
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Jason Flamm
Company Details: PARIC Corporation
Company Position Title: VDC Survey Manager

Post by JFlammVDC »

Currently I use a FARO Focus S 350 to scan, Scene to process and the Rhithm bolt-on app to do analysis of our floors in our projects. I get great results and our project management have been very happy with the deliverables. I use it also to do as-builts of PT decks, steel and old buildings after we gut them for repurposing. All though I haven't done it yet, you can scan and analyze wet pours on the fly with Scene/Rhithm. I've done it in an office setting though. Scene can export .RCP files and projects to use in about anything Autocad also.
I used a P-40 at my previous survey company but I didn't get to touch the processing end of it. Leica and FARO both make great units but I feel they are different animals and you can't go wrong with either. But I will pick the FARO for the size and ease of operation. The P-40 is a monster and comes in a coffin. We are currently building a 30-story building and I have to do pre-pour scans of the PT deck. The buck hoist is routinely 2-5 floors behind the top floor so I have to rope and ladder my scanner to get to the top. It's just my experience so far.
PLS MO, AR, MS
Part 107 UAS Pilot
ArthurPodium
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Arthur Kowalski
Company Details: Podium Group

Post by ArthurPodium »

Afternoon All and Czesz Tomii7! Good to see another Polak working with these things!

Appreciate the responses and the direction. I've managed to get some scan data of a few slabs and will be trying out the Faro Scene/Rithim option and see how that performs and how I can extract reports using that data. Given that the main purpose of the tool is for internal business use as long as the scanner is reasonably accurate it should do the job well.

The workflow as I am being guided is to clean up the point cloud, assign a plane to work from then run the deviation tool within BuildIT. A little bit of playing around but it seems to be working quite well. Once i'm done with my first few passes i'll post some images of the data it was able to capture. Looking forward to seeing how the Rhithm apps work in comparison to BuiltIT.

Would you have any suggestions on software that can be used to check wall squareness and flatness? Its all about ease of use and speed to generate simple reports. Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Arthur
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

=Hi Arthur,

my advice would be hold off jumping head first into purchasing. Having recently left Oz, there are some really good suppliers over there who will happily lease you kit and software and show you the basics. Have a play around and see what works for you. Do you really want to invest thousands in Leica kit/software when something much cheaper would get you the results you need? You also need to consider what accuracy you want. Would a Leica BLK be adequate if it is uncoordinated general flatness? If you want any advice on who to speak to, drop me a PM
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis

Post by jamesworrell »

Arthur,

If you are looking at this as part of an overall as-constructed/project documentation outcome - go for it!

If you are looking doing some walls and floors - try a local surveyor first. We do heat maps, points on grids, meshes etc all the time for people and it is a pretty economical service. It might not seem like it, but when you have a surveyor standing there and a truck plus $150k of equipment in it and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of software and computing hardware sitting back in the office - it is probably too cheap to be honest!

I actually expect construction validation in bulk will become a thing in the not too distant future as well - more the default than the exception.

The gear isn't cheap, the learning curve, whilst getting easier, is still not particularly fast/automated.

Also when looking at your overall business case, make sure you look at all costs for software (subscriptions/perpetual/maintenance), equipment maintenance/calibration/repairs, storage, fast computers etc. It is a bit of a rabbit hole
neeravbm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Neerav Mehta
Company Details: Indoor Intelligence
Company Position Title: CTO
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by neeravbm »

I actually expect construction validation in bulk will become a thing in the not too distant future as well - more the default than the exception.
James, just curious. What do you mean by construction validation in "bulk"? Is this different from construction verification that Verity, Navisworks or Faro BuildIT offers? Or do you mean that it'll be much more common in practice than now?
Neerav Mehta
CTO, Indoor Intelligence
Creators of http://scantobim.xyz and http://rep3d.com
melshy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Duy Nguyen
Company Details: Baezeni VietNam
Company Position Title: Baezeni VietNam
Skype Name: duy_bz
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by melshy »

simply, you can use civil 3D create toposurface and report height map by value or RBG if you want :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis

Post by jamesworrell »

neeravbm wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:01 am
James, just curious. What do you mean by construction validation in "bulk"? Is this different from construction verification that Verity, Navisworks or Faro BuildIT offers? Or do you mean that it'll be much more common in practice than now?
By "bulk" I mean as in regular scanning as opposed to discrete jobs like checking a floor. More like scanning a site every few days for a full record of the build - with or without model validation like Verity.

As sensors get faster - think mobile here - we walk around a site, get it on to control, whack through verity (or visually inspect) looking for gross errors say > 150mm .. that might be your daily check stuff, but also have higher precision scanning via normal terrestrial for documenting say rebar/post tensioning etc when it makes sense to do it.

All data streamed from a central server to the full consultancy group ala Jetstream. So an architect can turn on a point cloud at any time and see the formwork going in in the wrong place, or see if something is already installed - can it be moved, or validate a gap for a new service or something throughout the lifetime of the design/construct.

If this is then used to validate the model(s) - the model(s) is handed over at the end as an as-constructed model(s) with certain accuracy provisions, perhaps by family - structure +/- 10mm .. mep +/- 50mm etc.

Return to “Request Help With Projects”