PipeMan
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Bruce Raymond
Company Details: Adair Engineering
Company Position Title: Lead Designer

Alternative to Sphere / Checkerboard Targets

Post by PipeMan »

Hi all - I would like to know if an algorithm has / could be developed to automatically recognize cones as targets for laser scanning, being stackable they would be so much easier to handle in the field, without the bulk of spheres or attention required for tilt and turn types of targets.
Regards
Bruce Raymond
brian715
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Alternative to Sphere / Checkerboard Targets

Post by brian715 »

We use cones...but we put spheres on top of them.
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LPaulCook »

I use cones to hold my 200mm sphears..

Where would the radius point of a cone be?

An accurate target needs to be a point or the intersection of 3+ planes or 2 lines. Cones don't provide any of those elements.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by mikajahkola »

In theory a cone would make a very good target. It does have a well-defined tip point, and besides easy stacking it has the advantage that you could mix cones of any length as long as they all have the same opening angle. Measurement data could be matched to a cone just as easily as to a sphere.

The general equation of a sphere centered at x=y=z=0 is:
(x^2/r^2) + (y^2/r^2) + (z^2/r^2) = 1

The equation of a cone with the tip on z=y=z=0 and symmetry axis = z looks somewhat similar:
(x^2/a^2) + (y^2/a^2) - (z^2/b^2) = 0

I don't know that any commercial point cloud software would recognize conical targets, but some do recognize conical surfaces for modelling purposes.
tadol
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tad Laird
Company Details: Koppa Target Spheres
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by tadol »

I think you would be much more limited in mounting options with a cone - While it might look like a cone from quite a few angles, there are going to be many viewpoints that it will resemble an uneven sphere, or worse, and could throw off registration by more than a bit - Also, from greater distances, you would have a harder time identifying and manually selecting a cone, and getting an accurate registration point.

But if they write algorithms to make it all work easily and accurately, I'll make the best d--n scanning cones out there -

:D

Tad
http://www.KoppaTargets.com
Inexpensive Laser Scanning Targets & Accessories
for Architecture, Engineering, & Forensics
"We're right on targets!"
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva

Post by sreed »

mikajahkola, you stated mathematically what i've been thinking for some time - and this thread raised the issue. A cone is a shape that has a discrete point (coordinate) that is recognizable from any perspective, similar to a sphere but unlike a Checkerboard target (unless rotatable). The advantage of a coneis it could be any size, provided it is well machined/manufactured (#KoppaTargets). The "strongest" shape cone would be a 45 degree angle, but anything approximating that (say 30 degrees) would be sufficient for determining the tip with relative precision. An algorithm could be developed that would identify and fit a cone for a particular slope, then the target cones could be large (think traffic cones or larger), medium (think party hat), small or even micro - all with the same target settings. As has been stated here, cones stack well and could be manufactured within a set tolerance for less investment than spheres. They are also inherently more stable on desktops, bedposts, asphalt, etc.

This could be a very good development and i'd be happy to work on/fund it with anyone more capable than me at SDK/C++/programming. I've developed 2 other apps with consultants, one of which is an alternative target device for registration. How about it YanKoch /Taglabs?
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Interesting thread gang...I think the cones have some merit, especially for roadways or open areas. It is true they may not be as good for different mounting options but in terms of stability on the ground, you will likely not have them move or tip over easily.

What do you think the optimal size would be for the base/height? Should it end at an approximate point or do you leave a large flat on the top for other mounting options?

Eugene
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva

Post by sreed »

In terms of calculating the target point, wouldn't matter if pointed or flat top. (shape would be best fit, and tip calculated from shape). In fact, any edge artifacts on scan returns may be more pronounced with a pointed tip, so a cropped top may be even better for the fit algorithm.

For practical reasons, i'd think NOT having a point would be better. Approximately the shape of a traffic cone would be my suggestion.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Someone mentioned a 45 degree angle to the cone. I don't know what the actual angle is on a regular traffic cone but I would guess it is roughly 20 degrees or so.
Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Hi,

a cone is less suitable than a sphere. When detecting a cone, the fitting accuracy in XY and Z direction are not the same. Due to the approaching geometry in the Z direction upwards, larger errors can occur here. There are also totally different types of cone. These would probably also be difficult to compensate for. Spheres are probably the best way to adjust targets that are viewed from different angles.

We have also very accurate way to fix your sphere on top of a cone and to measure it by totalstation.
Laserscanner-Strassenkegel_b2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FARO”