stiebert
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Tyler Stieber
Company Details: Architectural Services
Company Position Title: Project Manager

Scene Export RCP File

Post by stiebert »

I registered about 60 scans together and exported them to and RCP file. When I open the RCP file in Recap or AutoCAD, the scans are no longer registered and just randomly set about the screen. The only thing I changed is that I just update Scene from the last release to this recent release (I waited because I figured there would be problems and here I am). Anyone have this problem and have a solution?

Thanks
Tyler Stieber
gordonired
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scene Export RCP File

Post by gordonired »

Have you tried to compress the project history? Doing that with a save afterwards may be something to try.
BeateM
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Beate Metzler
Company Details: kubit - now FARO
Company Position Title: Technical Support
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by BeateM »

The FARO SDK is not read/used (by Recap and unfortunately by the Decap feature in Scene too) in the way it is required to get the correct position of each single scan.
The projects that are effected - as I know - are the one with
- clusters and/or
- external references and/or
- tranformations.

I would recommend to
- export to a new (temporary) Scene project. Now all "meta" data is written into each single scan (is the same effect as you may know from the previous "save copy of scan" command).
- Then you can decide to export the single scans, the clusters or the whole project into an RCP project or to import the lsproj. file or single scans into Recap with correct position.

--> As I know there is a new Recap version available that will read the SDK correctly. So as soon this is implemented in next Scene version the RCP export should work as expected without loss of registration information. But still to test....
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Scott »

BeateM wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:52 pm The FARO SDK is not read/used (by Recap and unfortunately by the Decap feature in Scene too) in the way it is required to get the correct position of each single scan.
The projects that are effected - as I know - are the one with
- clusters and/or
- external references and/or
- tranformations.

I would recommend to
- export to a new (temporary) Scene project. Now all "meta" data is written into each single scan (is the same effect as you may know from the previous "save copy of scan" command).
- Then you can decide to export the single scans, the clusters or the whole project into an RCP project or to import the lsproj. file or single scans into Recap with correct position.

--> As I know there is a new Recap version available that will read the SDK correctly. So as soon this is implemented in next Scene version the RCP export should work as expected without loss of registration information. But still to test....
What a complete mess -exactly what my clients dread. What happens in older versions of Scene and ReCap? This should be a bullet-proof format that service providers and AEC offices can depend on.
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.

Post by bdawood »

What I found to work well is to export as a lsproj file format and then Import into recap. Do not use recap pro for this, if you do then it will attempt to register the scans.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

i also export as a project and import the separate fls scans in recap. Works faster than export to rcp directly from scene
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Ryan
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ryan Frenz
Company Details: Autodesk
Company Position Title: Engineering Manager - ReCap

Post by Ryan »

bdawood wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:42 am What I found to work well is to export as a lsproj file format and then Import into recap.
I agree that this is the best (and probably fastest) way, assuming your ReCap is up to date. SCENE uses the same libraries to create RCP, however, so you shouldn't see much difference in the end result, and everything should be compatible.
bdawood wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:42 am Do not use recap pro for this, if you do then it will attempt to register the scans.
This is not accurate. ReCap Pro will offer to register the scans, but this can be easily skipped by selecting 'Skip Registration' from the big blue menu.
SkipReg.png
-Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.

Post by bdawood »

The reason I said that about recap is because I experiment this before with an older version, where I had to log out of recap pro and go back into recap and finish the exporting, there might be something at the settings that I could have done at the time, or I might have missed something.
stiebert
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Tyler Stieber
Company Details: Architectural Services
Company Position Title: Project Manager

Post by stiebert »

Do you even need to export as a .lsproj file or can you just use the .lsproj file that is created Faro Scene save folder? I just opened Recap, imported the existing .lsproj file from C:Users\NAME\Documents\Faro, processed & indexed scans and then saved as a .rcp file. It looked good in AutoCAD so I think it worked. Let me know if I'm missing something.

I actually got an email from a Faro rep and he recommend the following:

"There is an issue in the current release of SCENE 6.2.4.30 with the Recap engine. This will be corrected in our next release. From what I understand, it has to do with the Recap UI and nothing to do with SCENE. A work around is to export the scans as registered .fls files using the export tab in SCENE (export scans ordered). This export process will take a few seconds for all of your scans. Simply create a Recap project, import your scans and index. Utilizing this method will also give you control over the filters and decimations values."
Tyler Stieber
BeateM
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Beate Metzler
Company Details: kubit - now FARO
Company Position Title: Technical Support

Post by BeateM »

Ryan wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:20 pm I agree that this is the best (and probably fastest) way, assuming your ReCap is up to date. SCENE uses the same libraries to create RCP, however, so you shouldn't see much difference in the end result, and everything should be compatible.
That's right. The important step is to export first in a new lsproj file as I wrote before then in a next step to start either
- the (scan, cluster or project) export into RCP project or
- to import the scan project into Recap (Pro). The indexing is free as Ryan mentionend and there should be no difference to Scene RCP export except you can define a decimal grid inside Recap.
stiebert wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 pm "There is an issue in the current release of SCENE 6.2.4.30 with the Recap engine. This will be corrected in our next release. From what I understand, it has to do with the Recap UI and nothing to do with SCENE.

Correct. Thats what I meant in my first post here.
Next Scene version will include updated Recap libraries so you then can hopefully skip the step to create a new Scene project first.

Return to “FARO SCENE”