Correcting a Traverse in Cyclone

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
berdindc
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dan
Company Details: Berding
Company Position Title: Project Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Correcting a Traverse in Cyclone

Post by berdindc »

I've reached the end of the line... :cry:

I've got the Cyclone Manual (circa 2009) I'm using for reference along with searching the forum. I've got a traverse that is all jacked up. On the third setup, the wrong point was entered as BS. Entered 151 instead of 150 for the backsight. This error was then carried through. Fixing this in Cyclone has got to be one of the most difficult things I've ever come across.

Looking for any words of wisdom or beer. :x
AXISEMMETT
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: emmett leversedge
Company Details: axis survey and mapping
Company Position Title: land surveyor scanner tech
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Correcting a Traverse in Cyclone

Post by AXISEMMETT »

do you have ctrl file you are registering to? if so, you could probably fix the traverse in cad and re-export new control values and re-register. not sure if that is possible with scanner traverses though, we use total stations so it hasn't come up.
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

berdindc wrote:Looking for any words of wisdom or beer. :x
Are you trying to use the 'Traverse Editor' in Cyclone Scan Control...
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com
berdindc
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by berdindc »

Yes, I'm trying to use the TRAVERSE EDITOR. Problem I keep running up against: the KNOWN COORDINATES scan world has the incorrect coordinates. I can change these coordinate values. But when I run through the TRAVERSE EDITOR I cannot get the corrected coordinates.

I need to change the BS on setup #3 from pt. #151 to pt. #150 and then have that adjust the remainder of the loop.

I'm having my field guy shoot in all the points today, I know I can get it to work that way. Otherwise, I don't understand how to use Cyclone to change my BS on setup #3 and have the rest of the loop adjust itself based on the new backsight. The original "bad coordinates" seem to be baked into the scanner positions. Confused. :?
berdindc
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by berdindc »

Ended up talking through this with someone at Leica. I have fixed the issue but not the traverse. The following recap is for my memory or in case anyone else stumbles upon this. It may not be the best solution, but it worked.

1. Delete all "known coordinates"
2. Create a new text file with my starting 2 points (known, surveyed in).
3. Import the text file as my "known coordinates"
4. Run through the incredibly confusing and ass-backwards traverse editor to establish new coordinates on all of the occupied points, starting with the 2 surveyed points.
5. Print out the traverse report and key in these new coordinate values into a new "known coordinates" text file, appending on to the 2 survey points I started with.
6. Import in the "KNOWN COORDINATES" text file.
7. Create a registration and add the above text file along with all scan worlds. Auto-add constraints. All SW's have 3 constraints: BS, FS, instrument point.
8. One SW was just a spur point and hence had only 2 constraints. For this one I had to create a vertex common to another scan. This instance it was center of pipe column at top of footing.

Perhaps having a newer version of Cyclone would have helped and/or being more fluent with cloud registration. All in, it probably would have been quicker to have the crew re-do the project vs. the amount of time spent in office mucking with it. I guess I know for next time... :?:

Return to “Registration Software”