Z+F Laser Control vs Leica Cyclone

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
gabrio
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gabrio Rossi
Company Details: Intellegere srl
Company Position Title: technical director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Z+F Laser Control vs Leica Cyclone

Post by gabrio »

Hi guy. We're happy owners of a Z+F Imager 5010 and we're looking for the best registration software for us, becouse now we have a licence of Laser Control Professional plus 8.5.4 that works only with target and upgrade it cost more than a new Cyclone licence. We'd like to register targetless and we want to be ready to manage hundreads of scans. What sw do you use with your ZF5010series/HDS7000 and why? Well, we know that using LSC we don't need to create the imp dbase (faster) but it looks like everybody use Cyclone. Ok, every opinion is welcome. We are confused about the right choice. Thanks
Last edited by gabrio on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
arch. Gabrio Rossi, MRICS
[email protected]

Passaggio dei Canonici Lateranensi n. 4
24121 Bergamo - Italy

+39.035.601.1492
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Z+F Laser Control vs Leica Cyclone

Post by bdawood »

I have a Faro scanner and use scene, I notice that it takes z+f, my projects consists of hundreds of scans in each project and use C2C, and it works just fine, you can try it for free for one month and see if it works for you, it has improved so much over the last few months.

Good luck
Wei Fang
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Wei Fang
Company Details: Huawei
Company Position Title: Algorithm expert

Post by Wei Fang »

I recommend Autodesk Recap360 Pro.
I have tested it with about 150+ stations of Faro Focus X330.
The most important thing is: it's really cheap.

gabrio wrote:Hi guy. We're happy owners of a Z+F Imager 5010 and we're looking for the best registration software for us, becouse now we have a licence of Laser Control Professional plus 8.5.4 that works only with target and upgrade it cost more than a new Cyclone licence. We'd like to register targetless and we want to be ready to manage hundreads of scans. What sw do you use with your ZF5010series/HDS7000 and why? Well, we know that using LSC we don't need to create the imp dbase (faster) but it looks like everybody use Cyclone. Ok, every opinion is welcome. We are confused about the right choice. Thanks
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

I have only used Cyclone and Scene and would take Cyclone any day of the week over Scene as its far more stable (doesnt crash any where near as much), loads up almost instantly, it is more "complicated" but once you get going its actually easier to use and to find errors in the registration/QC. It also has the new smart align which is a massive time saver for going target-less.

I scanned a tricky ish building inside and out, 175 scans over 2 evenings as we had limited access, good field notes to load to smart align (original building plan and noted all scans then photographed the bit paper), i think it put the scans in to around 18 groups and some ungrouped, i spent less than 6 hours checking it / manually aligning each of the groups and additional scans together. Plus the pc time after each evening of scanning to import which i did when i was sleeping and the smart align was started before going out for food and done by the time i got back :D

Also depending on your work flow you have all the Jet Stream / Cloudworx plugin options.

One thing Scene does have over Cyclone is you can batch export all the scan worlds as separate registered scan worlds - Cyclone is a manual process for this.
gabrio
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gabrio Rossi
Company Details: Intellegere srl
Company Position Title: technical director

Post by gabrio »

Thank you Bashar. Sorry but Scene it's not a choice for our workflow. Too many translation steps.
And thanks Wei: we have Recap Pro and we agree that it's an exciting piece of software, but you don't have any control. Probably this is the reason of the "exciting mood", it's a sort of bungee jumping experience ;-) Recap it's ok when we scan to BIM: we have a building and it's clear if there are some macro-errors. But we 're looking for a sw that you can use also in more generic laserscanning works, also whne it's difficult to visual control the alignment.
And thanks Smith: this is exactly what we need: some reliable QA/QC tools. Also the jetstream option (not now, for us) it's a plus for Cyclone. We use autodesk sw to design and model, so we just know how important is for the futeure development to be a market leader for the R&D budget.
Our question now is about the specific preprocess filter of the Z+F raw data and about the time you lose to create the imp dbase. But Cyclone it should be our choice.
No LSC fans around here?
thanks guys
arch. Gabrio Rossi, MRICS
[email protected]

Passaggio dei Canonici Lateranensi n. 4
24121 Bergamo - Italy

+39.035.601.1492
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by bdawood »

I do hear lots of good news about cyclone, maybe I should try it, to get comfortable it will probably take a month. I should seek a free trial.
Rjw
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ryan walker
Company Details: Veerum Inc
Company Position Title: Geospatial Engineer

Post by Rjw »

DelioPontes
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Delio Pontes
Company Details: Fugro
Company Position Title: Engineering Surveyor

Post by DelioPontes »

I work with both, but for registration only Cyclone.
I use laser control only to filter, colourize the Z&F scans and to check the scanner.
I dont know if cyclone registration is better but was always our main software for point clouds.
Other good thing that we use Cyclone is to make a 3D Rotation of our total station control before we start the registrations.
For example, control on offshore platforms needs to be adjusted because of the platform movement and cyclone do a very good "best Fit".
jorgenspetz
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Jorgen Spetz
Company Details: RISE Research Institutes of Sweden
Company Position Title: Technical manager Geometry

Post by jorgenspetz »

Hi Gabrio,

We work with both of them too. Worked a lot more with Cyclone, still feels like I have more control, and are able to tweak the last mm. We have only LC Scout as of now, and not the full plane check version. But LC Scout is really doing a good job, especially considering your own effort is so small. We are using it more and more. If it had some proper loop closure I think it would have been really great. Have not had any problems with large projects.
Sorry, can't help in deciding, we kinda like both of them. ;-)
richard_m
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Richard Merrin
Company Details: Fugro
Company Position Title: Data Processor _ Project Engineer

Post by richard_m »

I'm the same as the above two posts. I use both but I just kinda get a better 'feel' of where my reg is stressing and where issues lie when using Cyclone. Saying that, LC is far better for filtering data (.zfs in particular), checking scanners and of course colouring 5010c data.

Recap is fine if you don't know anything about ACCURATE scan registrations or want to, all very 'Teletubbies go Scanning'.

Cheers

Richard.

Return to “Registration Software”