PointCloud VR

aurivus|REVIT, 3D Studio MAX, 3D Coat, Lightwave, ZBrush, VRMesh, TopoGun, Blender, Rhino, Trimble Sketchup Etc.
ivalencia
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Israel Valencia
Company Details: AMT
Company Position Title: Project Manager
Skype Name: israelvalencia_c
Linkedin Profile: Yes

PointCloud VR

Post by ivalencia »

Hello! I didn't find anywhere else I could talk about this.

Does anyone know any VR technology that works flawless with PointClouds?

Let's say instead of adding a Point Cloud to Navisworks (for example) and rotate/fly/etc it.. put some VR glasses on my clients and they can navigate Point Cloud like they are there. I saw this ( http://www.faro.com/faro-3d-app-center/ ... oud-viewer ).

Any ideas?
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Re: PointCloud VR

Post by pburrows145 »

Leica Geosystems has a beta version of JetStream VR which is pretty awesome!

We've been showing this since Intergeo last year, and at various user conferences. In addition to being able to fly-around the pointcloud we have the ability to pull through Geo-tags, similar to those used in TruView/Cyclone Model and these 'pop' into view when you're in close proximity to the objects in question. This could include images, documents, external links or even movie files or links to other hosted clouds. Feedback from everyone who has used it has been very positive.

We also trialled a VR-enabled version of TruView Global which works on Samsung Gear (one of our colleagues has also created a version compatible with iOS (I will ask him if I can share this)). There is no '3D' aspect to this solution, as it's TruView is essentially 2.5D. But there is the ability to measure and mark-up using a remote device (though I think iOS struggles with this aspect until they 'officially' support VR).

The key in the future will be how we link the TruView VR and the JetStream VR into one cohesive experience which is usable, fun and engaging. Think about the collaborate aspect also. Much like the Facebook demonstration of avatars sharing a single unified space, how cool would this be with pointclouds? I can't wait!!
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Christy
Company Details: Veesus Ltd Arena4D.
Company Position Title: Technology Director

Post by Mark Christy »

IValencia,

We have a VR plugin available today for our Arena4D Data Studio desktop application which allows you to view all types of data (including massive point clouds) on the Oculus Rift.

You can add panoramic images, 3d models, measurements, annotations, maps, lighting and all kinds of things to the scene as well as just point cloud data.

The VR plugin is just £99 per year. More details here:
http://www.veesus.com/veesus/index.php/ ... ata-studio

Here's a couple videos of it in action:

youtu.be/-dyyopJlWX8

youtu.be/q4QbXKW2p_I

If you want a trial version please let me know.

Mark
ivalencia
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by ivalencia »

pburrows145 wrote:Leica Geosystems has a beta version of JetStream VR which is pretty awesome!

We've been showing this since Intergeo last year, and at various user conferences. In addition to being able to fly-around the pointcloud we have the ability to pull through Geo-tags, similar to those used in TruView/Cyclone Model and these 'pop' into view when you're in close proximity to the objects in question. This could include images, documents, external links or even movie files or links to other hosted clouds. Feedback from everyone who has used it has been very positive.

We also trialled a VR-enabled version of TruView Global which works on Samsung Gear (one of our colleagues has also created a version compatible with iOS (I will ask him if I can share this)). There is no '3D' aspect to this solution, as it's TruView is essentially 2.5D. But there is the ability to measure and mark-up using a remote device (though I think iOS struggles with this aspect until they 'officially' support VR).

The key in the future will be how we link the TruView VR and the JetStream VR into one cohesive experience which is usable, fun and engaging. Think about the collaborate aspect also. Much like the Facebook demonstration of avatars sharing a single unified space, how cool would this be with pointclouds? I can't wait!!
Hi! thank you for this response. I looked up the beta version of JeatStream VR but can't find it anywhere. Do you know if this is still available.?
ivalencia
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by ivalencia »

Hello Mark! that video is exactly what we're looking for. I've never tried before Arena4D Data Studio. But the way the guy in the video navigates within the PointCloud is what we need, with the power to add 3D Models and surf around these.

Does it only work with the Oculus Rift? In that case, does it work with the rift and touch or just the rift?

I'd love a trial. Thank you!
Mark Christy wrote:IValencia,

We have a VR plugin available today for our Arena4D Data Studio desktop application which allows you to view all types of data (including massive point clouds) on the Oculus Rift.

You can add panoramic images, 3d models, measurements, annotations, maps, lighting and all kinds of things to the scene as well as just point cloud data.

The VR plugin is just £99 per year. More details here:
http://www.veesus.com/veesus/index.php/ ... ata-studio

Here's a couple videos of it in action:

youtu.be/-dyyopJlWX8

youtu.be/q4QbXKW2p_I

If you want a trial version please let me know.

Mark
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Mark Christy »

IValencia,

Currently it's just working with the Oculus Rift and any USB/Bluetooth gamepad. We plan on expanding the VR options this year, so watch this space..

Our Point Server product is also capable of streaming to web browsers via the PoTree framework. There are a few examples online of people who have modified the PoTree viewer to run with VR headsets, including Google Cardboard, etc. So that is potentially another option.

If you want the trial just drop me a PM here with your email address, or contact us through our website and we'll get you up and running.

Many Thanks

Mark
stef2101
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Stephane Dupasquier
Company Details: Octarina
Company Position Title: ceo
Skype Name: stephanedupasquier

Post by stef2101 »

Hi,
We are developing a technology that allows displaying of large pointcloud data, including in a VR experience.
The first objective is not be limitated by huge amount of data. It allows measurement, photosphre, adding 3D model.
If any interest, Please check this out: http://www.octarina.com/en/capture-3d-vr/
Do not hesitate to contact me to know more.
REgards.
ivalencia
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by ivalencia »

Hello to all. So it's been a year since I wrote this post. We have been doing some tests but we haven't got any far.

We looked up on Octarina.com but there are only videos, No software to try.

@Mark Christy ... Can you PM me? We'd love to try Cinema 4D for point clouds VR.

Best regards to all!
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Mark Christy »

ivalencia wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:57 am Hello to all. So it's been a year since I wrote this post. We have been doing some tests but we haven't got any far.

We looked up on Octarina.com but there are only videos, No software to try.

@Mark Christy ... Can you PM me? We'd love to try Cinema 4D for point clouds VR.

Best regards to all!
Hi IValencia,

If you go to our website (http://www.veesus.com) you can download the software to try for 14 days. You'll also find the user guides, FAQ's and tutorial videos.

Also drop us an email at [email protected] and we can set up a screen sharing session with you to help get you running.

Many Thanks

Mark
flohrd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Flohr
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: VP of Software Engineering
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by flohrd »

Check Out Scene VR!

youtu.be/4EWfV2AoDDE
Handles billions of points with ease. Displays Models, measurement, notes...
Also available as free Version in Scene LT.

Return to “Modeling Software”