Artec VS Creaform Design engine and transmisson brackets

Discuss all Automotive Industry related issues here.
roedel
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris
Company Details: Engineering services
Company Position Title: owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Artec VS Creaform Design engine and transmisson brackets

Post by roedel »

Hello,

i have been experimenting with a structured light scanner based on Flexscan3D in the past for scanning automotive components such as engine blocks and transmissions.
We design custom Alternator and Hydraulic pump sets for Diesel engines.

The scans are useful in general but do not allow designing bolt on brackets with whole tolerances around 0.2mm, i would always have to design a bracket have it laser cut in thin sheetmetal and check the fit, this is especially true when the bracket goes around a corner.
I guess its due to my scanner setup, notice a lot of Volumetric distortion.

I am now looking for either buying a used Creaform 700 or an Artec Eva scanner and hope to find someone with hands on experience with either of those scanners in here.

I downloaded sample files of the Artec Eva and analyzed them in Geomagic Design X, that already gave me a pretty good idea about Artecs ability.

What i notice here is that scanned holes are not clean enough to create a pattern and with that bracket out of it .
See attached image, (this is the flywheel end of a crankshaft).
2016-12-08_080105.png
My question here:

1) Would the Artec Eva scanner be able to create a cleaner scan of these holes if the operator payed attention to that detail?

2) Would the Creaform 700 create cleaner holes since it is laser based?
If anyone could share sample .obj files with me i would be very happy, i could not locate anything on the web....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Artec VS Creaform Design engine and transmisson brackets

Post by TommyMaddox »

I had a demo in person of both of the Artec scanning units. The main problem isn't with the scanner itself. Its with the post processing.

You end up with the laser-scanning equivalent of tolerance stackup when you add the accuracy limitations of the scanner, plus any noise reduction and cleanup of the point cloud, and then a very considerable amount when you mesh+mesh cleanup.

For this reason, we reverse engineer exclusively from the point clouds (Design X is wonderful for this), and not the meshes. Not only does this save us a tremendous amount of time spent on meshing + mesh cleanup, it also avoids having the mesh process fill in holes where you wouldn't really want it to fill them in.

We run a FARO EDGE ScanArm (with the laser line probe, not the HD model), and Design X/Studio/Solidworks and have been very satisfied with the results.

I would bet my bottom dollar that if you obtained the raw scan data (and not the mesh data you're actually looking at in the picture), you would find it to be of suitable quality.
roedel
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by roedel »

Hi Tommy thanks for the response, that makes perfect sense.
scannerman
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: David Coleman
Company Details: Service Provider
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by scannerman »

You can't compare the Artec Eva to the HandyScan 300 or 700.

The Eva is more comparable to the Creaform GoScan.

In answer to your questions:

1. The problem with the holes is down to the projection of the pattern from the scanner, and also the resolution.

2. Yes, the HandyScan will give you better holes.

Any scanner will have an accuracy over distance regardless of it being laser or white light. The HandyScan can scan to a point cloud if you REALLY want to - but for RE there is little point, especially if you are using a high end laser scanner which gives you a clean and accurate mesh.
roedel
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by roedel »

Hi Scannermen, thanks for the input. I am on the market for a used laserscanner now..

Return to “Automotive Industry”