Comet 5 White light/fringe projection scanner

Dot Product DPI-8X, 3D3 HDI, ATOS, Breuckmann & DAVID etc.
Sebas
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Sebastiaan Kuiper
Company Details: Introtech Eng. and Cons. BV
Company Position Title: Sr. System Operator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Comet 5 White light/fringe projection scanner

Post by Sebas »

Although this is laserscanning.org.uk I would like to tell you some more about the white light/fringe projection scanner of Steinbichler namely the Comet 5.

You can find some more info about fringe projection on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured ... 3D_scanner

It is a close range scanner working with one camera and one projector. This modular system is available in several camera resolutions (1.4MP to 11MP). It is also possible to change the field of view (camera objective) allowing a broad range of applications. From the size of a coin up to car or even bigger.

When changing field of views 3D point distances ranges from 25micron up to 650 for the biggest FOV (800x800mm). The lightbulb is placed outside the scanner housing and connected to the scanner using a fiberoptic cable so is doesn't influence the accuracy (heat etc) of the scanner. Typical accuracy is 6microns for the smallest FOV and 40micron for the biggest.

We use this scanner at our office for smaller jobs with a rotary table. This allows for automatic measurements of the complete object surface. Or at the customers location mostly for quality control and reverse engineering purposes.

The actual scanner mounted on a robot:

And some example pointclouds:

ImageImageImage

Feel free to ask any questions!
markalexander
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mark Alexander
Company Details: KU Leuven
Company Position Title: PHD Student

Re: Comet 5 White light/fringe projection scanner

Post by markalexander »

Hi can we get any indication of cost? sounds like an interesting product

A lot of open source/DIY project are appearing such as http://www.strippo.de/forum/portal.php which might be interesting for those who want to experiment and have access to a beamer and camera.

Regards, Mark
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

Sebas wrote:Although this is laserscanning.org.uk I would like to tell you some more about the white light/fringe projection scanner
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of scanning !
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
Sebas
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Sebas »

markalexander wrote:Hi can we get any indication of cost? sounds like an interesting product

A lot of open source/DIY project are appearing such as http://www.strippo.de/forum/portal.php which might be interesting for those who want to experiment and have access to a beamer and camera.

Regards, Mark
HI mark

Yes there are in fact a lot of DIY projects out there. I believe there are some on youtube as well. Although these are interesting adn fun things and of course you get an "image" on your computer, data quality and accuracy is not very high. Just the kind of things you need in quality control ;)

Pricing for the comet starts at roughly 70000 euro. This is a scanner, tripod and computer.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

The accuracy of this scanning method is amazing, and the ability to scan in real time at 40fps+.

I think, considering the potential applications of a scanner using this technology, the effort that went into developing it, the price is about right.

It reminds me somehow of a virtual Gall-Peters Projection in in reverse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
china007
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Hui
Company Details: Cloudwell
Company Position Title: Technical Manager
Skype Name: mychina007
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by china007 »

And the QTsculptor is very similar to

http://www.polygon-technology.com/Produ ... ducts.html

Products

QTSculptor
Procedure
Technical Specifications
Measurement method, measurement extent and object size, range image accuracy
Applications and examples

QTSculptor is a complete system for the 3D digitization and reconstruction of real world objects.

It consists of a 3D sensor built according to the stripe projection method and a high-performance software package, which allows the 3D data to be processed into an accurate STL model.

The model can optionally be textured and viewed using photos taken using the texture module.
The 3D sensor of QTSculptor

Scanning of an object on the turntable. A turntable that has been developed for QTSculptor allows for the automatic acquisition and registration of complete scan sequences of small- to medium-sized objects.

To scan very big objects it is possible to import point clouds generated by various 360° 3D scanners. Hence the QTSculptor software is also suited for processing of data produced by exquisite scanners by other manufacturers.
Many applications are only possible once the exact geometry of an object is known. By means of the QTSculptor system, design models can be digitized and reconstructed. Complex or large objects can be captured from several directions in order to ensure a complete reconstruction of the object.

With QTSculptor, objects can be measured from arbitrary viewpoints, which are then effortlessly registered into a common coordinate system. Afterwards the dataset is triangulated and if desired textured with supplemental photographs such that a photorealistic model is produced.
Sebas
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Sebas »

There are some advantages when using a single camera. You dont need overlapping areas for example...

Return to “Structured Light Scanners”