V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Riegl VZ400i

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

Pretty incredible number of scans to complete in 8 hours on foot with integrated positioning and registration!!

http://riegl.com/media-events/newslette ... l-vz-400i/

When can we expect to see the VZ1000i & VZ2000i for mining applications??

Cheers,

Chris
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Re: Riegl VZ400i

Post by tbwester »

extremely impressive, but very doubtful of that number! 64 scans per hour :shock:

Just to move the tripod and scanner 30 feet and get setup would take at least 30 seconds to 1 minute, right?

Would love to review the registration, can you post the data as decimated e57?
christopherbyrne18
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

Hey Thad,

I had nothing to do with this. I just received it as part of the monthly Riegl newsletter. They captured the data themselves as a showcase I think.

I think its do-able. We have our scan times down to 15 seconds with our VZ1000's in stop and go and the VZ400i measures more than twice as fast. Also, there is no tribrac or levelling required with the carbon tripod they used. So its just plonk it down hit start, wait and move. Rinse & repeat 513 more times!

It would be a nice dataset to get our hands on alright. From my experience with RiSCAN Pro & RiMINING in particular which uses the same auto registration algorithm I have no reason to doubt that it ran as they say it did.

Again, I keen to see these new features (MEMS IMU & on-board processing) rolled out to the VZ1000 & 2000. The range of the VZ400 is just a little too short for most of our large open pits.

Cheers,

Chris
Graham
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: GrahamM
Company Details: AVEVA
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Post by Graham »

I guess it also depends what the 8 hours time included. The operator could be Jack Bauer of 24 fame, we all now the jokes, no need to eat, sleep or go to the loo.

Impressive the results are but would it not have been more efficient to have just used a mobile scanning in this case?
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Here at the conference in Neuss, I got a first hand demo of the VZ-400i. It really is a good piece of hardware with a lot of options and flexibility. Very robust, quiet operation, clean data and very fast scanning and photo capture.

...now if they could just reduce the price a bit :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by tbwester »

dang 7 second scans? incredible. No hate, it is impressive!

Mobile scan more efficient (arguable over this distance), but wayyyy more expensive.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by tbwester »

dang 7 second scans? incredible. No hate, it is impressive! The scanning rate is really really good. Faster is always better.

Mobile scan more efficient (arguable over this distance), but wayyyy more expensive I am sure.
Dave Foster
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: David Foster
Company Details: RIEGL UK
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by Dave Foster »

I have the good fortune to get a real good look at the VZ-400i of late. This dataset is a showcase of the capabilities of the machine - I've no doubt the same area scanned with a mobile device would be more efficient but the speed of set-up data capture and move to the next station is quick - the device generates new station positions automatically when moved so using the same settings will bang out station after station without blinking, just a single button press. Oh, and the auto registration algorithm works extremely well

But you're right, there's no time for sightseeing!!!
Dave

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts

twitter: @fozzy116
Christian Sevcik
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Christian Sevcik
Company Details: RIEGL Laser Measurement Systems GmbH
Company Position Title: Strategic Software Alliances

Post by Christian Sevcik »

To give you a bit of a background. This is an internal project, we carried out to see what's possible with the new instrument. The idea was to find out how many scans can be done within a work day. So we setup the measurement programm and started the stopwatch. 4.5 km and 8 hours later, we had these 514 scanpositions on the harddrive, whereas 1 scanposition equals 1 scan. No photos were taken.
Given the fact that the scan engine provides a pulse repetition rate of 1.2 GHz plus a linespeed of up to 240 (!) lines per second we found an average scanposition took 55 seconds. This 55 seconds is made up of 30 seconds of pure scantime and 25 seconds to move between the positions and trigger the next scan. The scanner was not shut down between scans.
A single scan was acquired at a 50mdeg scan pattern with a field of view of 100°x360° and gave us approx 14 million points.
Of course one of the motivations for the project was to drive the development of the processing software, especially the registration procedure. Just think of the vast amount of observables for the adjustment algorithm, when there are several thousand planes per scan. Actually the registration was done with a development version of RiSOLVE; no manual interaction so far. We are currently waiting for the surveyors to collect some more control points for further testing.

As Graham and Dave stated mobile laser scanning would have been an option, but we simply wanted to test the capabilities of the VZ-400i ...and the operator. The brave guy had to run on water and cereal bars only. ;)
But i think it is interesting to see what's possible if you don't have access to a mobile system, or -as in our case- the area is a pedestrian zone and therefore closed to traffic.

Christian
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Christian. Great information and I think this is a great test to push the limits of your scanner and software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Riegl”