ReCap 360 2017

4M, ARES, AutoCad, BricsCAD, DraftSite, GstarCAD, IntelliCAD, LiteCAD, MicroStation, nanoCAD 21, VeCAD, ZWCAD Etc.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: ReCap 360 2017

Post by tbwester »

When using Recap Pro we are being told that a minimum of 98% of our points are under 6mm, now that means that they could be well at 1mm or 2 mm but 6mm is the worst. For the Projects we are doing on Recap 6mm is more than good enough. Our Projects requiring that ultimate accuracy Cyclone is still being used. This is also being worked on to be more accurate for the future so I will report back on it as it develops.
It is not possible to report accuracy of scan registration in this way. The numbers are guides, but visual inspection is the only way with c2c. You could easily have 1-2 inches or much much more but the reported registration is 1mm.

It took me so long and lots of work to get good at registration in Cyclone, there is so much that can go wrong with a registration. We review many contractors scans completed in other registration packages and I've yet to receive one that is without significant misalignment (1 inch or more). Honestly, most applications do not need it to be perfect (if even 1mm accuracy is requested), but seems dangerous to me.
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Gadowski
Company Details: Transport for London
Company Position Title: Senior Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by danielgadowski »

tbwester wrote:
When using Recap Pro we are being told that a minimum of 98% of our points are under 6mm, now that means that they could be well at 1mm or 2 mm but 6mm is the worst. For the Projects we are doing on Recap 6mm is more than good enough. Our Projects requiring that ultimate accuracy Cyclone is still being used. This is also being worked on to be more accurate for the future so I will report back on it as it develops.
It is not possible to report accuracy of scan registration in this way. The numbers are guides, but visual inspection is the only way with c2c. You could easily have 1-2 inches or much much more but the reported registration is 1mm.

It took me so long and lots of work to get good at registration in Cyclone, there is so much that can go wrong with a registration. We review many contractors scans completed in other registration packages and I've yet to receive one that is without significant misalignment (1 inch or more). Honestly, most applications do not need it to be perfect (if even 1mm accuracy is requested), but seems dangerous to me.
words of wisdom there Thad :)
to me it just sounds weird to spend the time importing the data into Cyclone, then exporting it, importing it again and then claim it is saving time... :roll:
Dave Davey
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Dave Davey
Company Details: Engineering Surveyor
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Dave Davey »

danielgadowski wrote: to me it just sounds weird to spend the time importing the data into Cyclone, then exporting it, importing it again and then claim it is saving time... :roll:
Hit-the-nail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Almudena
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Almudena
Company Details: Beca Ltd
Company Position Title: Surveyor Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Almudena »

SCCS HDS wrote:Hi Joe,

I have read your post and it is actually what I did for the project I am currently working on. I did register the P30 data in Cyclone and then I exported a PTG file of the whole registration. The problem I have is when I import the PTG files into RECAP 360 I lose the multimages to be able to have a realview(recap) similar to the TruView(Leica). The mirror balls and the scan position are correct and well located but when I go in one of the mirror balls it isn't showing me the image but the point cloud (which has missing data (reflexion)).

I wonder if I am missing some step to be able to get the same result in Recap as in Truview.

Than you,
kind regards.

Almudena.

Steven,

If you want to get the files out of Cyclone as PTG you will have to export them in the normal way. However, it will be very time consuming to export each of your 900 scans individually. It would be much better to wait until the registration is complete in Cyclone then export this as a PTG. Recap will only read ScanStation P16 data directly and not other P-Series scanners.]

Joe,

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why Recap is a much faster at registration than Cyclone? Is it really that much quicker and if so how? Are you using the AutoAlign feature in Cyclone?

Return to “CAD Software”