V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: NEW SurphSLAM

Post by jedfrechette »

I'm curious how the software for this works from an operational perspective. Do you still need to upload the data to GeoSLAM's servers for processing or is the new RealTime software, that's briefly mentioned, something that runs on the user's hardware?
Jed
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

Jed, I believe they had the desktop version of GeoSLAM running onboard, so the full processing could take place after the scan. During the scan it is only a preview, but even that preview looked amazing. I would imagine that this solution could just capture the scans for upload to their cloud processing later, but don't take my word for it.

Just shoot them an email...if they have recovered from the show they should be very responsive :lol:
afingret
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Adam
Company Details: Extreme Measures Inc.
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by afingret »

My understanding is that GeoSLAM is working on real-time, on-board slamming for SurphSLAM and Revo. Coarse registration happens while you walk (as previewed on the screen). Then, once you "close the loop" and finish scanning, fine registration kicks in to tighten everything up.
Paul-CSIRO
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Paul D Flick
Company Details: CSIRO AS
Company Position Title: Senior Project Leader

Post by Paul-CSIRO »

I am from CSIRO, the group behind GeoSLAM who developed Zebedee, REVO and now SurphSLAM.

We have been working with Surphaser for a number of years now and we felt that the hard work had been done and it was time to show a glimpse of the new system. It has allowed us to get feedback that can be combined into the production ready system ready in the not too distant future.

The SurphSLAM system is a self contained mapping system, as you walk through the map is built up. Once you finish it goes through a final processing optimisation and straight away you have the full point cloud.

The SLAM Software, although using some of the core parts of the REVO/zebedee software has been re-engineered to run in Real-Time and to achieve reliable results with the best accuracy possible.
afingret
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Adam
Company Details: Extreme Measures Inc.
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by afingret »

It would be really nice if there were an option to output in a variety of point cloud formats so that users could get straight to work after scanning. RCS and E57 output would be my vote personally. Wireless transfer of point clouds to laptop (if reasonably quick) would also help remove steps from the post-scan process.

Most scanner manufacturers seem to ignore post-scan productivity. If SurphSLAM is going to be fast, it should be fast at every stage from scanning to export.

Everyone understands the benefits of speed and the removal of technical barriers. It's an easy sell.
r_oliveira
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Ricardo Oliveira
Company Details: Murphy Surveys Ltd
Company Position Title: Head of Digital Engineering

Post by r_oliveira »

Any chance we can have a look at some samples, for both exterior and interior? In challenging environments ;)
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

jedfrechette wrote:I'm curious how the software for this works from an operational perspective. Do you still need to upload the data to GeoSLAM's servers for processing or is the new RealTime software, that's briefly mentioned, something that runs on the user's hardware?
Jed,
My understanding is you can pay as you go and upload to the cloud, or you can pay a larger one time fee for the software to run locally. It mainly depends on how much sqft your going to be scanning. If you scan 1 million sqft a month then it makes sense to pay for the standalone - for example (just making up numbers).

I guess the stand alone would also solve any security concerns.
walkerrichard
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Richard Walker
Company Details: Point Cloud Solutions
Company Position Title: Canadian Distributor for GeoSLAM Scanner

Re: NEW SurphSLAM *bump to output file conversion*

Post by walkerrichard »

Bump in this thread - it is a fast paced SLAM environment.

A few posts up Adam from Extreme Measures was looking for e57 etc outputs from GeoSLAM to get to his (pat on the back to him here) level of efficiency.

We delivered. First of all GeoSLAM is on continuous development with the in-the-machine solution - its very do-able there and the usual quality and support will go with it when it comes to market. In the mean time we got the job done as well.

At Point Cloud Solutions (toot of our own horn), the Canadian distributor for GeoSLAM and supporting products, we created a desktop sub-routine converter which grabs the laz and converts to DXF, E57 and a dozen others without more than a minute of laptop gyrating, drag and drop.

We built it in house at Point Cloud Solutions. Innovation is fun.
chris_e
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Chris El-Araj
Company Details: Underhill Geomatics Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by chris_e »

Anything more on this? Has anyone had a chance to use the system? Is it available for purchase?

Thanks,

Chris
C. R. El-Araj, BCLS,

www.underhill.ca

Return to “Surphaser”