Scanning Novice In Search of Tutorials

Post any education related material or training courses that are available to assist with getting users trained in laser scanning.
fmahoney
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Frank Mahoney
Company Details: The Chazen Companies
Company Position Title: Survey Technician

Scanning Novice In Search of Tutorials

Post by fmahoney »

Hey all,
First post to the forum! I'm a surveyor from NY who has interest in laser scanning and has been given the opportunity within the firm that I work to perform scans and learn scanning software. The company I work for is currently renting a Leica P20 and I sat in on a week long training session for using the scanner and processing the data within Cyclone/Infraworx. So far, I have stitched together multiple scans both through auto-registration and visual alignments and have begun creating fly thru's of the scans within Cyclone. I haven't touched Infraworx. The salesman who rents the scanner to us had recommended that we use Cyclone for outdoor scans and Infraworx for indoor scans. Would anyone be able to elaborate on why that is beneficial?

After scouring these forums, I can't help but feel that the software that's currently at my disposal is somewhat obsolete and that the knowledge I'm gaining of Cyclone software might be a waste of time. Is my time spent learning Cyclone valuable regardless of software I'm using? If not, I keep seeing Pointools as the best option for creating fly-thrus - would Pointools also be software for stitching scans together? I want to gather as much information as I can for my employer so we move quickly at getting caught up with the world of laser scanning. I realize the technology within this field is always changing and improving and just want to invest my time in the most worthwhile way I can. I appreciate any/all advice anyone can give and if Cyclone is worth diving deeper into, if anyone has some tutorial videos that particularly helped them, I would love to see them.

Thanks in advance,
Frank Mahoney
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scanning Novice In Search of Tutorials

Post by tbwester »

You should dive deep into cyclone. it can do it all, especially for registration needs.
Andy H
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrew Hunter
Company Details: METROPOLITAN POLICE SERVICE
Company Position Title: Senior CAMB Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Andy H »

Have a look at arena4d too, they have number of vids etc that may be of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Rikore »

Frank,
Congrats on being able to get into scanning. We use Cyclone's full suite for scanning software. I have been able to import scans from Faro and Z&F with no problems. I agree that you should dive deep into Cyclone as it has many great options for managing point clouds. With that said, Pointtools has many great options such as being able to make photos look better when colorizing point clouds. Clear Edge has some great modeling features. Check out YouTube for Leica Cyclone videos. Leica also has training classes available. If your firm permits, try going to conferences like SPAR or Hxgn Live. HxGN is all Leica and they have a special tract for HDS. If you need questions answered, this Forum has been a wonderful source. We use Cyclone for both inside and outside scans.
Bruce
fmahoney
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Frank Mahoney
Company Details: The Chazen Companies
Company Position Title: Survey Technician

Post by fmahoney »

Diving deeper as we speak! Thanks for the responses, guys. Maybe once I have my first fly through published on youtube, I'll post a link. Would love some constructive criticism!

Thanks again,
Frank

Return to “Training Workshops & Online Tutorials”