I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Denis
Company Details: Ellisdon
Company Position Title: BIM Coord
Linkedin Profile: No

MANUALS ON LFM

Post by deniscell »

Hi, Community.
Recently downloaded and attempting to test a demo of LFM.
WIN 7 64 bit 16 GB memory, FARO FOCUS for scan collection, Scene 5.0 for registration.
got friendly email with all the instructions on how to get server to work and what to install to connect to .FLS scans.
now , trying to figure out the connection between LFM Scan Gateway, LFM Server and LFM Modeler.
NO DOCUMENTATION !!!! help files contain links to PDF's describing features in general terms.
tried to get faro file .fls to digestable format. apparently it is
scanning analysis for 2 minutes, small summary, button to "process", clicking on it, .1 seconds later conversion finished. .lfr file created with 1 kb on it.
now, neither LFM server nor LFM modeler import or open this format.
going another way. Picking up .ptx file/.asc file ( tried both); modeler is loading it for some time, then showing blue empty screen.
OK, it is not working out of the box, apparently.
Any ideas on where can i find some useful documentation on this software? even this forum is pretty empty on material.
Will appreciate support in form of literature and tutorials.
Joce
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LFM Software Support Team
Company Details: LFM Software Ltd
Company Position Title: LFM Software Support
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: MANUALS ON LFM

Post by Joce »

Hi Denis,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been having trouble using the software. I will try my best to explain the process here, but words on a screen aren’t always the best way to deliver information.

I believe you’ve been told about the need for the Faro dependency files in the LFM installer, and it sounds to me like they’re installed because it is analysing the scans and presenting the summary.

Once you have imported the scans to LFM Scan Gateway you will see a list of scans in the lower window and a check box next to each one. Please ensure all the boxes are left unchecked, as the check boxes mark the scans as ‘processed’ and will only create the registration file (.lfr).
When you select ‘Process’ it will go through a sequence of creating a .zfc file, followed by the .int (BubbleViews) and .png for each individual scan.
There will be one .lfr file created which contains the registration information for all the scans that were in that session.
The .lfr file is used by LFM Server to generate a dataset (.lfd), but does not contain any point data itself. The scans can be used individually (.zfc) by LFM Modeller.
The Scan Gateway documentation can be found in:
C:\Program Files\LFM\LFMServer\helpfiles\LFM_ScanGateway_v4.1.0.0.pdf

For the .ptx/.asc in LFM Modeller it may appear that the 3D View is showing a blue empty screen, but this likely to be due to the eye position looking at 0,0,0. Rotating the view should display the points. We’d always recommend using the .zfc files though as they are filtered to optimise the points and eliminate noise in the scans. You will also get the BubbleViews to use with the object fitting tools.

We would recommend a short training course to get the maximum benefit and productivity from the software; we can arrange this to happen at your office for convenience or at the Centre of Excellence for 3D Data Capture in Manchester, UK. In the mean time I can offer a WebEx to answer any questions you have.

Joce,
On behalf of the LFM Support Team
axe-z
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: cozzolino michael
Company Details: 3d scanning modelling
Company Position Title: IndusBIM

Post by axe-z »

hello,
I have exactly the same problem I try to import FARO FLS in gateway. Then I go on lfm server and import "FILE LFR." still nothing. help me
Joce
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LFM Software Support Team
Company Details: LFM Software Ltd
Company Position Title: LFM Software Support

Post by Joce »

Hello everyone,

We have already replied to axe-z via an LFM support ticket (which can be raised by emailing [email protected]).

However, in case there are other people interested in this issue, a copy of our response is below.

"Thanks you for continuing to show an interest in Laser Scanning and LFM Software in particular.

Can you confirm the version of LFM Server that you are using. The latest version 4.2.0.11 works in two modes (the attachment Gateway Mode.png shows the product in Gateway Mode)...

Gateway Mode - This is used to import various scan types, including .FLS files that you are trying to use. If the imported scans are determined to be "Register" (the position and direction of the scanner is already calculated) their properties will reflect this status and the scan icon will be marked with a green tick. Under these circumstances the LFM Server deliverable can be created. Once the LFM Server dataset has been generated it can be opened in LFM using Server Mode.

Server Mode - This is used to interact with the BubbleViews and the consolidated point cloud. Server mode forms the basis of the various LFM CadLinks - where the pointcloud can be made available in a variety of CAD and Design packages.

Note during it install you will be prompted if you wish to install the Faro Dependency Files and File Formats options - see attached. You should ensure that these are selected (in practice all of the File Formats are usually checked). These are used as part of the Gateway process and should be installed.

The gateway process and dataset creation are covered in the help guides that accompany the software, so you should find these useful.

Please note - the registration information isn't available in the .fls files by default, but the attached document will cover preparing FLS FILE IMPORT. By following this document you should be able to achieve registered .FLS files. If you continue to have problems can you please send me some screen shots and further information."

Regards,
The LFM Support team
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead

Post by Matt Young »

I had similar problems when I first used LFM for a Leica project, it was very frustrating. But I talked with LFM support and they were very helpful. You will have a few light bulb moments and suddenly it will all fall into place.

Gateway - Converts data from other scanner formats into .zfc .png etc

LFM Register - Does what is says and registers your data after conversion in Gateway. Pre registered data will be identified in the Gateway process.

LFM server - Think of this like Faro Scene or Leica Cyclone - it's the engine that runs your point cloud for use in 3rd party plugins or just as a viewer. The lfr file is used to generate a database in LFM server, it's not imported or opened. You have a source for the .zfc .png etc, a location for file generation, and a destination for the database files.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of this please LFM, just trying to convey the basics.

Keep going, talk with LFM support, and you will succeed.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
Graham
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: GrahamM
Company Details: AVEVA
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Post by Graham »

Matt,

Succinctly put, basically that it is

Transfer the data to a single format that can be read -> Register -> Generate fully spatial indexed database
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Matt Young »

I'm having some trouble with LFM modeller today. I need to link a plot plan dxf with the scans. I followed the instructions given to me by Z+F and the plot plan links perfectly in position. I save the file and close it. When I open the file again the plot plan reverts to a local position that is not near the scans. so I detach the plan and re-attach and it's in the perfect position again. I save, close, re-open and it's in the wrong position again. The plot plan has the correct coordinates and I have checked this by loading it up with the scan data in Cloudworx. So am I missing something in LFM modeller?

Incidentally, if I try to open the help files via the menu in LFM modeller I get an un-handled exception and the program has to terminate, forcing me to restart the license server in order to open the software again. Someone from Z+F will come back to me on this but I wanted to see if anyone else has the same problems?
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Matt Young »

Z+F have been quite helpful in general. LFM support seem to be non-existent...
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Matt Young »

It turned out that the text file (crd file) was formatted wrong... it had to be tab delimited and not space delimited. At least this seemed to fix the issue.

Return to “AVEVA Suite”