Scanning in Hot Weather

Discuss all Oil & Gas Industry related issues here.
sandysurveyor
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris
Company Details: Iraqi Surveyor
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Scanning in Hot Weather

Post by sandysurveyor »

I am interested in peoples experiences of scanning in very hot weather out in the middle east oil fields. I come from a terrestrial scanning background in the UK but are looking to use more scanning out in the ME so any people out here please give me some feedback. Some of the lads in Australia will also be able to give me their thoughts as well. I would like to know what gear they use and problem they have with dust and heat.

I have a scanner at the moment (brand will remain unknown) which fails to work in 40 deg plus. I am also interested in servicing issues and general problems like flying into various ME locations.

Feel free to let me know your problems (rather than sales guys getting on and telling me how great their gear is).

thanks
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scanning in Hot Weather

Post by Oatfedgoat »

There is a forum user and ex-colleague that took a job in similar conditions of extreme heat.

You'll have to check the technical specs, but I think the C10 was his best option at the time. I think the P20 can operate in even more extreme conditions. I'm sure Paul Burrows can confirm.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

We did a job in Kurdistan a couple of years ago that involved some scanning. The Kurds were great but the best advice we got for that particular part of the Middle East was "Fly in to Erbil not Baghdad", but I'm guessing you've already heard that one. ;-)

Although not impossible scanning during the day at 40+ is going to be a challenge no matter what gear you use. Even if the equipment is working properly you're probably going to have problems with refraction and mirages causing distortion once the range exceeds more than a few tens of meters.

We get our share of dust here in the southwest US but honestly I don't worry about it to much in terms of scanning. If the wind is blowing hard enough and there is enough dust blowing around that you're worried about significant amounts getting in to the scanner you're data quality is going to be suffering anyway and its probably time to call it a day. Even if you use a scanner that is adequately sealed against dust ingress its mirrors and/or lenses are still exposed and subject to pitting.
Jed
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

I have used the Leica C10 scanner in a very hot environment - around 40-45 degrees celcius. It worked fine, although it did become unresponsive/crash a couple of times. I took it out of the hottest area and left it for 20 mins and then it worked again.

I think the batteries got very hot because they dont seem to last as long any more. The scanner seems to be fine though and was recently serviced by Leica.
colhum1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Colin Humphreys
Company Details: Warwickshire Police
Company Position Title: Forensic Collision Investigator
Skype Name: col.humphreys

Post by colhum1 »

Would be a nice change from all this wind and rain :lol:
"Just leave me alone. I know what I am doing" - Kimi Räikkönen
sandysurveyor
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris
Company Details: Iraqi Surveyor
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by sandysurveyor »

Thanks for the input especially regarding the dust and things like that. I know the area well and the security concerns regarding Erbil and Baghdad so we have that firmly under control but thanks.

I was more thinking of how scanners were taken in and out of the countries and if people had Tax implications etc? I have just shipped some kit into a country in the region and it is sitting in a government warehouse waiting for a man to make a decision on what it is!!!!!!

I also know that there were problems in the UK with Laser safety etc (people with clip boards mainly) but have people had any issues in oil fields?
Graham
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: GrahamM
Company Details: AVEVA
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Post by Graham »

Try contacting Italia Progetti as in 2010 they surveyed as part of the Zubair Field

http://www.italiaprogetti.eu/en/references.php?id=5
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead

Post by Matt Young »

As far as I know the Leica P20 is rated to work in +45 degrees c.

I have used a scanstation 1 in +53 degrees c once while in Qatar (hottest place I have ever been) - the scanner worked but the laptop melted. Also did some scanning in Kazakhstan in +46 degrees c.

Much prefer the hot than the cold ;)
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
christopherbyrne18
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

We regularly use our Riegl VZ1000's vehicle mounted in +40 degree weather in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. They are very robust in terms of heat and dust. I recall my ex college Mike Annear who is on this forum doing a job for the military in the bush with a Leica HDS6200 in extreme temps and as long as they didn't turn it off it kept working!!

Cheers,

Chris
B.Chazaly
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: CHAZALY
Company Details: Fugro Geoid
Company Position Title: Digital and 3D expert

Post by B.Chazaly »

I've used a riegl LMS Z 390i in Saudi Arabia few years ago, by 48°C, for several weeks.
To be sure to avoid any problems, we have put a towel on the head, that was regularly moisten with fresh water, so we could keep the temperature under 40°C all day long.

A picture of the scanner on the Riegl TLS gallery :

For a short exposure to high temperature (scanning near a flear), we have built a protection using a metallic reflective car window sun visor : very cheap, and quite useful.

Regards,

Bertrand.

FUGRO GEOID SAS
http://www.fugro.com

http://www.bertrandchazaly.com

Return to “Oil & Gas Industry”