I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Paul Casson
Company Details: multipass 3d laser scans ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: do anybody use surphaser scanner

Post by mls »

Surphaser was far better that any other phase based scanners 7 years ago or more, and none of the other manufacturers has come up with the goods in all that time...fact is, Surphaser gives better results. If you want to know how its done you can always look up the patent, or ask the people at Basis software to spill the beans. It don't signify.
If you need super quality in large volume pointclouds use Surphaser. If you need speeding tickets and bad fuel consumption, use a Ferrari. Quality often comes at a price.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

I am not arguing the price at all and I have only heard good things about the Surphaser and the quality of the scans. I have seen presentations and anyone who does laser scanning can see a remarkable difference.

Do you have any links to the patent or other information? Sounds interesting.

Thanks!

Eugene
mls
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Paul Casson
Company Details: multipass 3d laser scans ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by mls »

Eugene.
As has been pointed out in the thread, there is room for improvement in the Surphaser scanning software, which can really drag out your onsite time, but on the other hand, the high quality of the pointcloud data means you wont have to spend time cleaning up noise, stringing, etc - throwing away data, as you will usually need to do with pointclouds from competitors scanners.
Perhaps my previous was a little flippant. I want to point out that, as in most products, cars, post processing software, tripods, laser scanners, whatever - there are choices to be made based on what you or your clients need. Basis supply tools (phase based large volume scanners) which output better quality pointclouds than any of their competitors. How they have done so is a matter for speculation on our part, but if you really want to know you can always try ask them directly.
The short range Surphaser provides a crossover between high precision metrology (laser trackers, CMM, Laser Line Probes, Structured Light Scanners etc) and Civil/Architectural BIM workflows. With the high precision coupled with large volume coverage, we large volume bods will start incorporating workflows, techniques and levels of precision which we couldn't imagine 10 years ago. The range of deliverables will expand accordingly.
Working with inaccessible or harsh environments, using remote deployments, we will always prefer to get cleaner and more accurate measurements in return for the risk and effort we face in gathering the data in the first place. Surphaser allows us to answer questions with a higher degree of confidence.
So its a trade off - thanks to all those hard working scanner manufacturers for giving us an ever increasing choice of tools.

Return to “Surphaser”