Sowing

OpenScanTools is a free and open source point cloud software. Discuss and develop here.
gordonired
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Sowing

Post by gordonired »

I find this to be a very interesting tool. I will quite often align a scan to coordinates so a wall will line up nice and square to an axis, and then be asked to measure from one seemingly parallel face to another. Turns out they are usually NOT parallel, or aligned with the world axis. So I need to switch either take slices and and do my best in autocad, or play in cloudcompare.

This tool looks like it could help with quick measurements, but I struggled with it the other day to do what I want (with the documentation open on another screen). Is there any chance we could get some tutorial videos on how to use this on your Youtube channel? Thank you.
scankukai
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scan ku kaï
Company Details: Scankukai
Company Position Title: CEO

Re: Sowing

Post by scankukai »

gordonired wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:05 pm I find this to be a very interesting tool. I will quite often align a scan to coordinates so a wall will line up nice and square to an axis, and then be asked to measure from one seemingly parallel face to another. Turns out they are usually NOT parallel, or aligned with the world axis. So I need to switch either take slices and and do my best in autocad, or play in cloudcompare.

This tool looks like it could help with quick measurements, but I struggled with it the other day to do what I want (with the documentation open on another screen). Is there any chance we could get some tutorial videos on how to use this on your Youtube channel? Thank you.
Hello,

Indeed this experimental feature needs more explanations.
It can be used to create automatic measurements with a regular step, to study parallelism, verticality...
This function requires further explanation. Even I have to consult the documentation for this function, which I designed myself!
I will do a tutorial in the next few days.

auto distances.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gordonired
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator

Post by gordonired »

Appreciate that very much. One thing that I'm always worried about when picking points, is that the one I happen to pick may not represent the surface accurately (noisy data etc). If I'm able, I like to take an average. I'm not sure if the software does this, but calls the average one point for the sake of simplicity, or if it truly does only measure one single point. Does sowing take a small average around the point picked? Or is it only one point?
scankukai
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scan ku kaï
Company Details: Scankukai
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by scankukai »

gordonired wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:31 pm Appreciate that very much. One thing that I'm always worried about when picking points, is that the one I happen to pick may not represent the surface accurately (noisy data etc). If I'm able, I like to take an average. I'm not sure if the software does this, but calls the average one point for the sake of simplicity, or if it truly does only measure one single point. Does sowing take a small average around the point picked? Or is it only one point?
Measurements use a raytracing that picks one point. We'd have to code an option that takes an average into account. But it would have to be configurable, because digital noise differs from one scanner to another, and the range of a point's neighbors would also have to be defined.
I'll note your comment in my request follow-up table.

Return to “OpenScanTools”