Register 360 and BLK2GO drifting solutions?

Discuss Leica Geosystems hardware here.
rangokobis
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Gobi
Company Details: Axess
Company Position Title: 3D modeling
Linkedin Profile: No

Register 360 and BLK2GO drifting solutions?

Post by rangokobis »

Hi,
Just recently started using Leica and its software's.
We have need for scanning tight and narrow industrial spaces. Scanner is great and software is very good. But I do have some questions.
  • How to handle save project in register 360? Specifically, how can I know when is project saved and how to change directory of saved project?
  • I had 30 m tall building to scan, To much pipes inside to make it using one battery. Also, there were some scaffolds on approx 15 m of height, blocking reach to upper level. I managed to register both scans by scanning same bottom level area, going outside, scanning stairs and continuing to scan upper level. I found some "holes" through scaffolds to capture lower sections. But there was noticeable drift on pipes, I guess caused by insufficient space and distances in range of 5 -12 meters. Is there any way to solve this in software, or should I find the way to capture more data to establish better connection between bottom and upper level? This image shows drifting which is closer on pipe which is captured on closer distance from upper level, drift is worse on larger distance.

• When connecting multiple scans, does it matter which link I choose, or how many links when using BLK2GO scans?
  • Are there any other advice's related to this scanner and processing its data?
Thanks.
Martin_au
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Ankor
Company Details: Anon
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Register 360 and BLK2GO drifting solutions?

Post by Martin_au »

Main advice I can offer is to keep loops short. E.g., when doing a water tank, I won't go around it in one big loop. I'll do 3-4 smaller loops each doing a quadrant of the tank. This means that the drift within each loop is small. Likewise if doing a building floor, I'll do a couple of "backbone" loops, up and back along main thoroughfares. Then do smaller loops into adjacent smaller spaces and rooms.
Martin_au
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Ankor
Company Details: Anon
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Martin_au »

Oh yeah, and try and go back along the same path as the first half of your route so the SLAM software can get two looks at surfaces and tighten things up.
rangokobis
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Gobi
Company Details: Axess
Company Position Title: 3D modeling

Post by rangokobis »

Martin_au wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:09 am Oh yeah, and try and go back along the same path as the first half of your route so the SLAM software can get two looks at surfaces and tighten things up.
Hi,

Thanks for advices, I could try with smaller loops this time. I managed to solve issue by taking plenty of overlap between scans and filtering out drifts. Problem is that some areas are not so accessible.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by pburrows145 »

Try the "BLK: Re-observation" feature in R360 (Settings/General).

You're working in a database, so there is no "Save-as" Function... but you can use "versions" with the "Version manager".

You cannot easily move the data... but it is possible with *.RAF files to change locations of the data and reconnect to your databases.

Read everything you need here: https://rcdocs.leica-geosystems.com/cyc ... gister-360

Hope this helps.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman »

rangokobis wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:38 am Hi,
Just recently started using Leica and its software's.
We have need for scanning tight and narrow industrial spaces. Scanner is great and software is very good. But I do have some questions.
  • How to handle save project in register 360? Specifically, how can I know when is project saved and how to change directory of saved project?
  • When connecting multiple scans, does it matter which link I choose, or how many links when using BLK2GO scans?
  • Are there any other advice's related to this scanner and processing its data?
Thanks.
In regards to the moving projects. We do this fairly often at the present time since the migration of the Databases at v2023.1

The fastest way is a FAST EXPORT which will move the encrypted DB (Very difficult to find a specific Project DB in the Main Storage location). It is all managed through the Database manager at the top of the software (looks like a Ringed cylinder)

The Archive function option will produce an *.RAF file (as Paul states) that is the most robust and "safe" way to move a project and then "Re-import" the same project. Unfortunately it is the slowest and redundant process.
The FAST SAVE option was created when after a lot of savvy first users of Reg 360 found a way to trick the DM into finding the newly copied encrypted data base to a new location and creating a storage location at that spot on the hard drive or server. The speed and efficiency of not having to Archive a zipped RAF file and then reimport that RAF file (having Unzipped and re-read into the DB manager) must have been deem of the "appropriate value" to add this tiny little option ;)

It basically allows you to quickly copy an UNZIPPED encrypted project file directory intact into an ALPHA named location at another spot. Once that is done you can then point to that location with the RECONNECT option in the DB manager Storage Locations Tab, select the project file you want (Highlight it in RED) and RECONNECT.
One Caveat is , that after it is moved you can't Reconnect to it until the first project location is completely deleted or completely disconnected from from the DB manager. Since it shares an identical copy of the encrypted file structure, if you don't remove it -the DB manager sees it as a redundant copy and will tell you there is no VALID project to reconnect to.
We move projects back and forth all the time from our NAS to local NVME SSD drives, especially when we need high performance on much larger projects or extensive editing tasks.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

If you want to move the projects on the same machine/server database you can just use the move project function. You need to define multiple storage and then you can move the projects freely between them in the project converter app or with reg360 database menu.
Or even a windows file explorer... ctrl-x + ctrl-v :mrgreen:

If the projects located in the "serverdb" and in any of the defined storage (only once) then you can open it.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”