Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

BLK2FLY Questions & Comparisons

Post by gsisman »

As per another thread:
https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... 93#p112093
dhirota wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 pm The world is becoming more Leica BLK friendly for us recently. It looks like we are purchasing a BLK2FLY at a significantly reduced price (below the US$62K listed with warranty), which should arrive next week sometime.

BLK2FLY.jpg

We will have the same problems with the "spaghetti" visualizations, but will continue to be working to eliminate that problem as with the BLK2GO. The significant difference between the BLK2GO and the BLK2FLY is with the GNSS availability and crash avoidance in the BLK2FLY.

Also of interest might be our Tuesday scans using the BLK2GO and our Riegl VZ600i to scan a historic building at a private school prior to its renovation. I plan to use the BLK2GO as a "filler" and total building scanner to see how it works out with the VZ600i as the geospatial registration with its RTK. It will also be interesting to compare RTK positioning registration between the BLK2FLY and the VZ600i, since the BLK2FLY does not require a tripod only a case for travel.

views=127,070

Starting a new conversation here:
@ Dennis Hirota or anyone else that is flying one in the U.S.

Dennis I'd love to see an example of a LARGE culvert scan with some kind of lighting.
Can you plan a route with it if you know the underground path (because of the lack of GNSS). We have some very large underground culverts that could do for inspection (8'x20' or 6'x11' ).
How well would it hold a connection, say inside a parking garage or a underground channel like situation?
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: BLK2FLY Questions & Comparisons

Post by dhirota »

gsisman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:45 am As per another thread:
https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... 93#p112093
dhirota wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 pm The world is becoming more Leica BLK friendly for us recently. It looks like we are purchasing a BLK2FLY at a significantly reduced price (below the US$62K listed with warranty), which should arrive next week sometime.

BLK2FLY.jpg

We will have the same problems with the "spaghetti" visualizations, but will continue to be working to eliminate that problem as with the BLK2GO. The significant difference between the BLK2GO and the BLK2FLY is with the GNSS availability and crash avoidance in the BLK2FLY.

Also of interest might be our Tuesday scans using the BLK2GO and our Riegl VZ600i to scan a historic building at a private school prior to its renovation. I plan to use the BLK2GO as a "filler" and total building scanner to see how it works out with the VZ600i as the geospatial registration with its RTK. It will also be interesting to compare RTK positioning registration between the BLK2FLY and the VZ600i, since the BLK2FLY does not require a tripod only a case for travel.

views=127,070

Starting a new conversation here:
@ Dennis Hirota or anyone else that is flying one in the U.S.

Dennis I'd love to see an example of a LARGE culvert scan with some kind of lighting.
Can you plan a route with it if you know the underground path (because of the lack of GNSS). We have some very large underground culverts that could do for inspection (8'x20' or 6'x11' ).
How well would it hold a connection, say inside a parking garage or a underground channel like situation?
Steve

I think from my limited BLK knowledge, the BLK2GO with the lights (US$5K) would be the better alternative than the BLK2FLY (lights $$$??) or the BLK ARC with GNSS with lights$$$??? would probably be the most expensive. Our VLX would have the best imaging and would fit your dimensions, but local processing with the size of the BLK2GO with faster local processing might be the answer. Hopefully, the BLK2GO visualization will improve (when??).

What is your precision requirement?? What equipment do you have?? What software to you have for local processing?? If the answers to the 3 questions are all Leica, then you might be stuck with a BLK2GO. (I am not an expert on Leica equipment since I only have BLK Leica equipment). If you need targets, you should be able to do it with a BLK2GO, but we have not tried it with targets yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27UhoSOWpl4
Check video @4:00min-4:30min

BLK2GO WITH LIGHTS.jpg

views=20
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “Leica Geosystems”