V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: FJD Trion P1 slam Scanner

Post by gsisman »

Ioannis wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:19 pm I would like someone to confirm if that device can adjust point cloud to control points.
Note not to georeference just accurate adjusting. I think no ad the local vendor does not know it to answer me.
As far as I know only the Mobile Vehicle scanner can Geo-reference the ACTIVE mobile scans ,when they are using RTK/RTN for the trajectories. I may be wrong but there isn't a handheld mobile scanner that will track trajectories accurately with SLAM AND georeference . Control points (on Subject coordinate system) must be imported into the software AFTER collection for it to adjust the SLAM-tightened and adjusted cloud (within the Various SLAM loops), to georeferenced coordinates.
The next gen of SLAM scanners adopting RTK local coordinate adjustment and applying that "localized Checkin" to the optimized SLAM cloud will be the leaders of the pack. (very similar to the decades old Localizing your RTK coordinates system) (Think of a tilt type RTN solution that has a SLAM scanner attached) You could scan outdoors and get the georeferenced capability, walk inside and continue using IMU and/or VIS type slam scanning and exit and reacquire RTN correction and scan tie-in georeferencing. Bundle the calculated adjustement and export it to an industry open format. This is basically how the some of newer vehicular mobile scanners work.
Control points on Coordinate system transferred into the interior of building or using an existing coordinated IPS system would provide more internal checks. https://lifehacker.com/tech/what-is-indoor-gps
Nonna
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Tomas Hearn
Company Details: DC Works Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: 3D Modeller
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Nonna »

Hey,

Just organised a demo unit of this scanner. Does anyone have any information of if the unit comes with the 360 camera? If it does do you know the model of the camera it comes with? Will update this post next week after I have had time to test it. Very interested to see how well it plays with BIM software like Revit since that is the main use case I will have for it. I will also try and create some "digital twin" like virtual tours much like matterport. If anyone could point me in the right direction for software like that, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Nonna wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:01 am Hey,

Just organised a demo unit of this scanner. Does anyone have any information of if the unit comes with the 360 camera? If it does do you know the model of the camera it comes with? Will update this post next week after I have had time to test it. Very interested to see how well it plays with BIM software like Revit since that is the main use case I will have for it. I will also try and create some "digital twin" like virtual tours much like matterport. If anyone could point me in the right direction for software like that, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
I believe the camera is an insta x3 series. It is sold as one package when you buy the p1. The s1 uses a different camera, not sure which one.
Bim up till lod200 with the limitation of accuracy of 1.5-2cm needs to be taken into account.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
cesaralmeida
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: cesar almeida
Company Details: KOREC
Company Position Title: Senior Application Engineer

Post by cesaralmeida »

gsisman wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:14 pm
Ioannis wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:19 pm I would like someone to confirm if that device can adjust point cloud to control points.
Note not to georeference just accurate adjusting. I think no ad the local vendor does not know it to answer me.
As far as I know only the Mobile Vehicle scanner can Geo-reference the ACTIVE mobile scans ,when they are using RTK/RTN for the trajectories. I may be wrong but there isn't a handheld mobile scanner that will track trajectories accurately with SLAM AND georeference . Control points (on Subject coordinate system) must be imported into the software AFTER collection for it to adjust the SLAM-tightened and adjusted cloud (within the Various SLAM loops), to georeferenced coordinates.
The next gen of SLAM scanners adopting RTK local coordinate adjustment and applying that "localized Checkin" to the optimized SLAM cloud will be the leaders of the pack. (very similar to the decades old Localizing your RTK coordinates system) (Think of a tilt type RTN solution that has a SLAM scanner attached) You could scan outdoors and get the georeferenced capability, walk inside and continue using IMU and/or VIS type slam scanning and exit and reacquire RTN correction and scan tie-in georeferencing. Bundle the calculated adjustement and export it to an industry open format. This is basically how the some of newer vehicular mobile scanners work.
Control points on Coordinate system transferred into the interior of building or using an existing coordinated IPS system would provide more internal checks. https://lifehacker.com/tech/what-is-indoor-gps

Lovely. And now, unbeknownst to you, what you've articulated there is the reason why I only refer to mobile mapping systems, the ones that have the INS tightly coupled with the GNSS - SLAM or no SLAM. Systems that don't do this I call "dynamic". Mobile mapping systems that are capable of reading the GNSS accurate position and couple it (tightly or not, depending on the weight applied to the filter - Kalmann if you are interested in mathematical geekiness) in real time, or more commonly, on a post processed trajectory have been doing this for almost 2 decades now.

And I agree mostly, except on the part of the newer mobile mapping vehicular systems - I was working with a mobile mapping vehicle system in RTK (or PP if I so wished, it's not one or the other) a decade ago now. I guess it depends on the definition of "newer". Still prefer Post processed trajectories in that space. Less connectivity risks to worry about at this point in time.

SLAM should just be another process to be fusioned together with the existing technology, but as it is common with these things, do not assume it's an easy process - it's not. Hence why all the mobile slam based devices are purely SLAM and INS (visual slam or not, doesn't really matter for this point), but.. the GNSS is only used for georeferencing, or for block adjustment of the trajectory to control - not to continuously adjust the trajectory every 1, 2, 5, 10 hz, whatever it might be, from the GNSS position.

just my two cents. two and a half, maybe.
bertazizoglu
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bert
Company Details: NUBIGON
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: bertazizoglu

Post by bertazizoglu »

For reference, here's a scan conducted with an FJD Trion S1 Pro, visualized and animated in NUBIGON:

youtu.be/eV9kn21fXF4
Bert M. Azizoglu
Co-Founder & CEO
NUBIGON Inc.
Web: https://nubigon.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/nubigon
Yudhistira
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Yudhistira Knoch
Company Details: 3D Indonesia
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Yudhistira »

Kodi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:41 pm Hello everyone ! I am a newbie to the laser scanning world, (just creating point clouds with Iphone lidar so far -> cloudcompare -> Recap etc..) so I need your help :D
I would like to buy a slam scanner : right now I have two options :
1) The FJD Trion P1 slam at 7500$
2) LixelKity K1 at 10000$
I am looking for max accuracy level ~2cm, mainly indoors, outdoor accuracy is welcomed as well !
Also, I have seen that the K1 has as an addition an RTK module. Is this relevant ?
May I have your opinions ?
Thnx in advance !!
I have tried both, and I could says lixel Kity K1 from Xgrids has a much better performance, more dense point cloud and less noise, also it can attached RTK, while the P1 cannot. It has built in panoramic camera and got the ability for capture 3D Gaussian Splatting data. And, free software.

For the price, I think is a bit similar, since P1 now is USD 11,249 in their website, and still need add on of insta360 camera around USD 400 for color.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

FJD Trion was at Geobusiness with a small booth. They sent over a French rep to explain the gear.

Besides 2 physical instruments being there there wasn't much too see and nothing much on display.
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
geodezja3d_pl
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jakub Kałaska
Company Details: Geodezja3D
Company Position Title: owner

Post by geodezja3d_pl »

S1 also uses Insta360 X3
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:09 pm

Thanks, Tom
I believe the camera is an insta x3 series. It is sold as one package when you buy the p1. The s1 uses a different camera, not sure which one.
Bim up till lod200 with the limitation of accuracy of 1.5-2cm needs to be taken into account.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

geodezja3d_pl wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:55 pm S1 also uses Insta360 X3
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:09 pm

Thanks, Tom
So why is the camera option on a s1 is a whopping 2400€ as the camera itself is about 500€. 2000€ for a plastic bracket is outrageous.
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
geodezja3d_pl
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jakub Kałaska
Company Details: Geodezja3D
Company Position Title: owner

Post by geodezja3d_pl »

I remember that geoslam asked around 4000$ for panocam. It was also one of cheapest Ricoh models on a pole...

Return to “General Chat”