V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Looking for 3d scanning monitoring software - Cloud 2 cloud distances

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi everyone!
Latelly we have been getting involved in many monitoring 3D scans. Surveys that we do with an SX12 every years over many years. I found that the deliverables we are doing are not up to what I would love them to be. Clients are satisfied, but here is what is bothering me the most with our current software solutions;
Cloudcompare: Almost perfect but we cannot see the 'direction' the movement is going, just that there is a movement, it could be in either directions
TBC : I dont like the distance algorythm and controls of color mapping is lackluster.

Here is what I am looking for ;
-(most important) A triangulation type of algorythm similar to the 2D1/2 triangulation in cloudcompare https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... omputation
-Similar controls to the gradiants available within cloudcompare
-Be able to apply colorisation to the pointcloud, to export it, and bring it in autocad for presentation (just like with cloudcompare). OR - built in tools to create pdf printable presentation up to scale (1:50, 1:100, etc).
- Set the ''perspective'' and have the software account for the direction of the movement and colorise scans accordingly if movement is going inwards or outwards in relation to the reference scan.

Here is a picture of my latest project that we are monitoring;
Monitoring wall.png
Would love to improve our cloud 2 cloud analysis deliverables. Currently we plan keep on working with cloudcompare, but I am curious to know how everyone on LSF do these type of analysis.

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin_au
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Ankor
Company Details: Anon
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Looking for 3d scanning monitoring software - Cloud 2 cloud distances

Post by Martin_au »

Maybe mesh the reference surface and use cloud to mesh analysis? That reports distance and direction (postive or negative) in Cloud Compare.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Leandre,
What specs do you put in your proposal for delivery of a scan monitoring job?

Looks to me that 5mm would be the absolute highest achievable. Curious to know.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:05 am Leandre,
What specs do you put in your proposal for delivery of a scan monitoring job?

Looks to me that 5mm would be the absolute highest achievable. Curious to know.
They sell the local accuracy of the scan - the assembly - being +-3mm and they sell the geo positionning of each scans each year beeing in the +-3mm as well. You know some hard to reach results but when you know your gear its not impossible. So overall a +-6mm between each study. For this particular projet due to the environnement we have 3 monuments, a I beam that was dugged 4 feet deep and covered with concrette. We also have various pk nails in concrete at various areas.
Thing to achieve high accuracy is to use traverse prisms, it helps reduce errors in between stations as your tribrach doesnt move at all. We had 6 tripods setup and shot every stations with the traverse prism , from every station, in order to get a good network adjustement;
network adjustement ellipse.png
So +-6mm is achievable but requires good technique and setup. Here we are looking for movements in the 5cm+

As for the mesh question, I will look into it. Issue I might have is that it can create false positive, as mesh meshes every points and sometimes noise. but at the same time that is probably the same thing that is happening in the 2D1/2 triangulation as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Request Help With Projects”