I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jeff Mead
Company Details: APMS Engineering
Company Position Title: Applications Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Reverse Engineer Pipe

Post by JebbersWA »

First post here, so please be gentle, I'm still learning a lot very quickly.

I'm in a new job and part of that job is to get the Trimble X9 they have here up and running to scan pipes and pressure vessels and reverse engineer them to create designs for the reproduction of replacement parts. I'm about as green as they come, I have an extensive IT background and have managed to get my head around Realworks quickly and have scanned the pipes, registered them and isolated the point cloud to the specific parts required. I've imported the point clouds into both AutoCAD and AutoCAD Plant 3D but have hit a wall there. My autoCAD skills are basic and I'm working on building those up too, but it seems like doing these drawings manually based off the point cloud would be a little inefficient and prone to errors.

From looking around Faro As-Built might offer a good solution for me to quickly create design drawings for the parts with a more automated workflow. Is there anyone on here doing this and am I heading in the right direction? Or should I be using something totally different?

Thanks - from the newbie.
melshy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Duy Nguyen
Company Details: Baezeni VietNam
Company Position Title: Baezeni VietNam
Skype Name: duy_bz

Re: Reverse Engineer Pipe

Post by melshy »

If you find the solution for piping I can recommend Edgwise, 3DR 2024, faro asbuitl, Leica cloudworx...
JeffT
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Jeff T
Company Details: Geospatial
Company Position Title: Engineering Technician
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by JeffT »

Seconding Edgewise. Amazing time saver.
mrhunt
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Michael H
Company Details: CFM
Company Position Title: Senior Surveyor

Post by mrhunt »

For any large piping jobs I use Cloudworx for Autocad. Does a great job in creating pipes from point clouds. When I need to create Isometric drawings for pipe runs I use plant 3d.
pfirmsto
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Peter Firmstone
Company Details: Zeus Project Services Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by pfirmsto »

JebbersWA wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:51 am First post here, so please be gentle, I'm still learning a lot very quickly.

I'm in a new job and part of that job is to get the Trimble X9 they have here up and running to scan pipes and pressure vessels and reverse engineer them to create designs for the reproduction of replacement parts. I'm about as green as they come, I have an extensive IT background and have managed to get my head around Realworks quickly and have scanned the pipes, registered them and isolated the point cloud to the specific parts required. I've imported the point clouds into both AutoCAD and AutoCAD Plant 3D but have hit a wall there. My autoCAD skills are basic and I'm working on building those up too, but it seems like doing these drawings manually based off the point cloud would be a little inefficient and prone to errors.

From looking around Faro As-Built might offer a good solution for me to quickly create design drawings for the parts with a more automated workflow. Is there anyone on here doing this and am I heading in the right direction? Or should I be using something totally different?

Thanks - from the newbie.
For pressure vessels, I'd consider using Geomagic Design X (it's what I use).

Return to “FARO As-Built”