V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RIEGL VZ600i

Post by dhirota »

Here is the Riegl Black paper target that we have adapted to test. It is 20.3 cm square active area which can be printed on an Epson inkjet printer on 8.5X11 inch paper card stock.

SOH-RIEGL-TARGET-TEXT-240521-SMALL.jpg

We tested it on on a wall at 40 meters and the software Riscan Pro 2.19.3 r 13847 found it (RiScan Pro v2.19.1 also found it, but the improvements in v2.19.2 generated errors).

RIEGL BLACK PAPER TARGET.jpg

We also found paper targets on the AC parking lot surface within 2 to 3 meters from the tripod, but not reliably.

We have a project next week which is scanning an airport parking apron with our VZ600i to match/verify the existing topographic survey. Testing will be accomplished with our Trimble SX-12 or Trimble S7 to check surface elevations.

We decided to test the use of reflective targets and dug out our 15 to 20 year old Goecke Schwein pan tilt 60mm reflective targets. Our major problem was that we only had 5 units in the plastic box and figured that we needed 10 more. No one in Hawaii knew of the company in Germany, or who carried or stocked them in the USA. It helps to to have a secret internet search engine, since I found someone with 150 units in stock and shipped them out today, to be received tomorrow (US$40.00 each including next day UPS, tax).

For those that might not be familiar with the Goecke Schweim targets, they have a maximum range of 150 meters, a Wild/Leica socket of 12mm, a horizontal axis of 86mm and offset of 2mm.

The only problem is you need to find the targets while you are scanning (which is good, since they will not be found after you leave the site in RiScan Pro, the Riegl paper targets are the only ones currently that you can find after the fact). We tested the target finding indoors, but it had no problems finding the 60mm target.
GOECKE SCHWEIM PAN TILT 60mm TARGET.jpg
RIEGL FOUND REFLECTOR TARGET.jpg

We also have some ideas of setting the targets without tripods, using GAFF tape which can be removed without leaving tape marks and you can see the red GAFF tape attached to the blue steel column.

Views=47,530
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
china007
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Hui
Company Details: Cloudwell
Company Position Title: Technical Manager
Skype Name: mychina007
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by china007 »

Take a look at our tripod and batteries, you will find it even more remarkable. :lol:
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

china007 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:25 am Take a look at our tripod and batteries, you will find it even more remarkable. :lol:
1.jpg2.jpg
Your batteries and tripod are not identified, so it is difficult to compare them with the batteries that we are using. The remarkable vision of Riegl was to allow the use of batteries from multiple sources in order to operate in any location in the world. We currently use the Riegl Li-ion batteries that are contained within the the VZ400i and VZ600i scanners. Both scanners have two power ports for external power sources. We are currently using
V-MOUNT batteries that are also used in the video industry with 98Wh for each battery. An unlimited number of these batteries can be transported on airlines if carried personally anywhere in the world. Two each of the 160Wh versions can be transported on commercial aircraft for each person traveling anywhere in the world. The V-mount battery shown below is from our NavVIS system, connected using a special DTAP to Riegl power cable.

V-MOUNT BATTERY FOR RIEGL SCANNERS.jpg

Your battery has no identification or power rating as all V-mount batteries require for travel verification. We have 12X NavVIS 98Wh batteries what can be used with our Reigl scanners and 11X commerical V-mount 98Wh batteries that we use with our Trimble surveying equipment. I am showing a HOT SWAP V-MOUNT panel for mounting two V-mount batteries that can be used for 34.5 hours of scanning remotely (23X 1.5 hours per battery).

HOT SWAP V-MOUNT BATTERIES.jpg

views=47,731
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

dhirota wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:08 pmWe are currently using V-MOUNT batteries that are also used in the video industry with 98Wh for each battery. An unlimited number of these batteries can be transported on airlines if carried personally anywhere in the world. Two each of the 160Wh versions can be transported on commercial aircraft for each person traveling anywhere in the world.
Not to mention that you can easily rent those batteries in most major cities. I remember doing this with our old Optech scanners and it was pretty great. I didn't know that Riegl's modern scanners supported off the shelf batteries too, but that's fantastic.
Jed
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

jedfrechette wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:50 pm
dhirota wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:08 pmWe are currently using V-MOUNT batteries that are also used in the video industry with 98Wh for each battery. An unlimited number of these batteries can be transported on airlines if carried personally anywhere in the world. Two each of the 160Wh versions can be transported on commercial aircraft for each person traveling anywhere in the world.
I didn't know that Riegl's modern scanners supported off the shelf batteries too, but that's fantastic.
Jed

I thought I would insert this statement about what I posted, so our Riegl friends would not get too excited about "off the shelf batteries". The cable shown in the image below took many months to research the use of the correct connector for the Riegl power port and to find someone to build it for me. I normally build our Anderson to DTAP cables for powering our Trimble Surveying sensors with Li-Ion V-Mount batteries, but in this example with the Riegl power connector, I had many built after testing was completed, since it is not completed in a week. Also no one at Riegl knows who built them for me.

RIEGL POWER PORT TO DTAP CABLE.jpg
views=48,075
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
pfirmsto
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Peter Firmstone
Company Details: Zeus Project Services Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by pfirmsto »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:14 pm A Riegl is not sensitive to vibration as other scanners.
The VZ600i has an accelerometer and gyroscope, we don't operate the RTC360 in operating plant, which needs to be shutdown to avoid external forces causing errors, however even when shutdown, maintenance workers cause vibrations walking on steelwork, we currently use a NavVis VLX to scan operating plant due to vibrations, however your comment has me wondering if the VZ600i might be able to compensate for vibrations while scanning?
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

pfirmsto wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:14 am
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:14 pm A Riegl is not sensitive to vibration as other scanners.
The VZ600i has an accelerometer and gyroscope, we don't operate the RTC360 in operating plant, which needs to be shutdown to avoid external forces causing errors, however even when shutdown, maintenance workers cause vibrations walking on steelwork, we currently use a NavVis VLX to scan operating plant due to vibrations, however your comment has me wondering if the VZ600i might be able to compensate for vibrations while scanning?
My vz400i goves a notification when the scan is unstable. Small vibration on a pad in a factory will be compensated. I've done ton of projects where the data was fine after processing.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
pfirmsto
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by pfirmsto »

Anyone know if it's possible to import fixed georeferenced control scans into the VZ600i, and have it register to these in the field? Would be a neat feature if it's possible.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

pfirmsto wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:28 am Anyone know if it's possible to import fixed georeferenced control scans into the VZ600i, and have it register to these in the field? Would be a neat feature if it's possible.
Peter

I do not know if I will answer your question, but we are completing a project to save a contractor by verifying the elevations of a military training area aircraft parking apron by lidar scanning with our Riegl VZ600i versus not using a digital level for determining the elevations in one day. This would have required using GNSS sensor at approximately 2,000 meter elevation with the digital level to generate the contours. They had a map generated in 2014 by that evaluation technique given to them by the USACE.

We decided to use the Goecke Schweim targets mentioned earlier in this thread, since they have a maximum range of 150 meters, a Wild/Leica socket of 12mm, a horizontal axis of 86mm and offset of 2mm. I found the definitive source in the USA at US$31.00 each, so we now have 15 reflector targets. The major question was what do we use to scan both sides of the target and not bring 15 tripods 200 miles to the Bid Island training area that is stable enough not to move on the AC pavement. The smart guys in our office decided to try standard traffic cones and the targets fit nicely into the tops with GAFF tape and can be removed easily. Our contractor had the 15 on site, so that was easy. Below is the area that we scanned.

1.PROJECT AREA.jpg

We scanned 50 SCAN POSITIONS (SP) with the Riegl VZ600i using RTK to cluster the SP. The data set was 29 GB of 2,539 files and 236 folders and decided to use our PC90C drive (4TB, Crucial T700) for data processing instead to our raid6, 72 TB PC90E drive which is slower. The 39GB of raw data transferred into the PC90C in 10 seconds (see below) instead of the 3 minutes for our raid6 disk drive.

2.RAW DATA IMPORT.jpg

Post Processing using RiScan Pro 2.19.3 r13847

Although the 50 SP were registered in the field yesterday, they were unregistered in the office to be registered with the targets using MSA2.

Transfer Raw Scanner Data into Project Database = 123 seconds
Filter Scans = 11 seconds
Calibrate SONY Camera Mount = 55 seconds
Colorize scans with 300 SONY Images for 50 SP = 173 seconds
Coarse registration with targets = 18min10 seconds still using RTK position for seeing voxels on registration screen.
MSA2 Fine Registration with targets = 145 seconds
Mark Moving Objects = 160 seconds
Create Octree point Cloud = 600 seconds w/out moving Objects

TRAFFIC CONES + REFLECTOR TARGETS

3.TRAFFIC CONE + REFLECTOR.jpg

4.REFLECTOR POSITIONS.jpg

5.SCAN POSITIONS + REFLECTOR TARGETS.jpg

RTK and TARGET COORDINATE SYSTEM

6.TARGET COORDINATE REFERENCE SYSTEM.jpg

Here is a partial table of GNSS positions with 30+ satellites

7.SAMPLE GNSS MEASUREMENTS.jpg

Here is the MSA2 (Multi-station Adjustment 2) that gets measurement registration into the mm range.

8.MSA2 WITH TARGETS + SPOT CHECKS.jpg

Our Riegl scans needed to be within 9 mm of the current surface. The following point cloud contained the scans and check points to verify the current pavement. We used Trimble 12i GNSS units and a Trimble Dini Digital level together as one sensor for elevation and a Trimble S7 as the other sensor for elevation. A quick check resulted in 6.8mm, 4.3 mm and 5.4 mm difference between the VZ600i and the conventional sensor elevations.

9.TESTING POINT CLOUD + CK SHOTS.jpg

views=49,000
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
pfirmsto
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by pfirmsto »

No, we work over greater distances at higher levels of accuracy, I was wondering if we can use our control scans to tighten vz600i scans, or just to confirm their accuracy?

The problem with the laser scanning industry in general, is it's difficult to estimate point cloud accuracy without something to compare it to, as there's no equivalent standard that all manufacturers follow, for validation, we use long static GPS observations, process it through AUSPOS, then include GPS vectors and covariance matrices, with total station, level and scanner observations in least squares analysis. The scans and point cloud are always difficult to provide an estimate of accuracy @ 95% confidence, we basically get as close as control, then using prism observation error std deviations from the same instrument occupation that performed the scans to estimate accuracy of each scan.

Cheers,

Peter.

dhirota wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:17 am
pfirmsto wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:28 am Anyone know if it's possible to import fixed georeferenced control scans into the VZ600i, and have it register to these in the field? Would be a neat feature if it's possible.
Peter

I do not know if I will answer your question, but we are completing a project to save a contractor by verifying the elevations of a military training area aircraft parking apron by lidar scanning with our Riegl VZ600i versus not using a digital level for determining the elevations in one day. This would have required using GNSS sensor at approximately 2,000 meter elevation with the digital level to generate the contours. They had a map generated in 2014 by that evaluation technique given to them by the USACE.

We decided to use the Goecke Schweim targets mentioned earlier in this thread, since they have a maximum range of 150 meters, a Wild/Leica socket of 12mm, a horizontal axis of 86mm and offset of 2mm. I found the definitive source in the USA at US$31.00 each, so we now have 15 reflector targets. The major question was what do we use to scan both sides of the target and not bring 15 tripods 200 miles to the Bid Island training area that is stable enough not to move on the AC pavement. The smart guys in our office decided to try standard traffic cones and the targets fit nicely into the tops with GAFF tape and can be removed easily. Our contractor had the 15 on site, so that was easy. Below is the area that we scanned.

1.PROJECT AREA.jpg

We scanned 50 SCAN POSITIONS (SP) with the Riegl VZ600i using RTK to cluster the SP. The data set was 29 GB of 2,539 files and 236 folders and decided to use our PC90C drive (4TB, Crucial T700) for data processing instead to our raid6, 72 TB PC90E drive which is slower. The 39GB of raw data transferred into the PC90C in 10 seconds (see below) instead of the 3 minutes for our raid6 disk drive.

2.RAW DATA IMPORT.jpg

Post Processing using RiScan Pro 2.19.3 r13847

Although the 50 SP were registered in the field yesterday, they were unregistered in the office to be registered with the targets using MSA2.

Transfer Raw Scanner Data into Project Database = 123 seconds
Filter Scans = 11 seconds
Calibrate SONY Camera Mount = 55 seconds
Colorize scans with 300 SONY Images for 50 SP = 173 seconds
Coarse registration with targets = 18min10 seconds still using RTK position for seeing voxels on registration screen.
MSA2 Fine Registration with targets = 145 seconds
Mark Moving Objects = 160 seconds
Create Octree point Cloud = 600 seconds w/out moving Objects

TRAFFIC CONES + REFLECTOR TARGETS

3.TRAFFIC CONE + REFLECTOR.jpg

4.REFLECTOR POSITIONS.jpg

5.SCAN POSITIONS + REFLECTOR TARGETS.jpg

RTK and TARGET COORDINATE SYSTEM

6.TARGET COORDINATE REFERENCE SYSTEM.jpg

Here is a partial table of GNSS positions with 30+ satellites

7.SAMPLE GNSS MEASUREMENTS.jpg

Here is the MSA2 (Multi-station Adjustment 2) that gets measurement registration into the mm range.

8.MSA2 WITH TARGETS + SPOT CHECKS.jpg

Our Riegl scans needed to be within 9 mm of the current surface. The following point cloud contained the scans and check points to verify the current pavement. We used Trimble 12i GNSS units and a Trimble Dini Digital level together as one sensor for elevation and a Trimble S7 as the other sensor for elevation. A quick check resulted in 6.8mm, 4.3 mm and 5.4 mm difference between the VZ600i and the conventional sensor elevations.

9.TESTING POINT CLOUD + CK SHOTS.jpg

views=49,000

Return to “Riegl”