V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Repair without Faro

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

TommyMaddox wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:47 pm How long should a company:

1. Manufacture parts for products that are discontinued?
2. Service units/systems that are obsolete/discontinued?
3. Store or maintain inventory of spare parts for units/systems that are obsolete/discontinued?

Each of the three above items requires an often substantial investment from the company to do, while offering minimal returns if any, while also cannibalizing new sales efforts.

Is 10 years expected serviceability life not reasonable enough here? You don't get that service level out of power tools, phones, computers, cars, appliances, and many other comparable items out there, especially systems where rapidly evolving technology is a major component.
You surely don't compare a phone or a drill with a laserscanner that costs 100k?
Don't know about overseas but a car can easily be serviced here for 15 years or more.

Riegl makes a lot themselves and the internal architecture of the scanners is always almost the same so they can continu servicing it. Not to compare with other brands instruments.

Also maybe for larger companies it is easy to change scanners after a while but for a one man shop, allthough it was a great cost i'm happy to have bought a riegl from which i know i can still use the next 4 years.

Also, Riegl is family owned, so i think no major investors who want dividends from sales (which users have to buy regurlarly).

My 2cts of course.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

TommyMaddox wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:47 pm Is 10 years expected serviceability life not reasonable enough here? You don't get that service level out of power tools, phones, computers, cars, appliances, and many other comparable items out there, especially systems where rapidly evolving technology is a major component.
Cars are the only item on that list that are even close to the cost of a scanner and I don’t have any trouble finding parts for my 20 year old truck. I think I also have a well used 15+ year old Dewalt drill kicking around that I can still buy batteries for. Granted Ford and Dewalt did make a few hundred thousand more of them then Faro did. Those are consumer products though, the average age of industrial machines in the US is 10 years and for IT equipment it is 5 years. If those are the averages there is quite a bit out there that is much older.

I think it’s entirely fair to evaluate manufacturers on how long they support their products. Does Leica still offer service for the C10? Their scanners have changed much more significantly over the same period of time then Faro’s have.
Jed
lucamatori
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LUCA AMATORI
Company Details: 3DeFFe
Company Position Title: owner

Post by lucamatori »

Does anyone have any further info about "external" repair services?
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

At this point, for scanners like the X130, if it breaks it will have to be an insurance claim and then fund a newer scanner...

Return to “FARO”