I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Gary Lawes
Company Details: jagged Edge Design Ltd
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Considering Dot3D

Post by gary_lawes »

Hi we run a (very) small Architectural practice, the majority of our work is domestic buildings. We survey our projects ourselves and since 2015 have been doing that with 3D laser scanners, and mainly with our trusty old Faro X330. We use Autodesk Recap for processing/registration etc.

Adjoining/nearby building are generally a useful addition to the scanning process, and so the range of a device is important to us.

My question is, would anyone recommend a shift to handheld devices using Dot3D, is it likely to deliver the same level of data, are there any limitations, and what configuration would you recommend?

Thank you for your time.
chris_d
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Chris Dordoni
Company Details: laser scanning and CAD modeling
Company Position Title: scanning technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Considering Dot3D

Post by chris_d »

The scanner you are referencing does not use a laser and would have a very limited range.
It also would not be as accurate over longer distances compared to your TLS (ie using multiple scans to cover a larger area)

I honestly cannot see using it as a viable replacement for a TLS, although you might supplement TLS scans with it.
gary_lawes
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Gary Lawes
Company Details: jagged Edge Design Ltd
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by gary_lawes »

Thank you Chris. Very helpful.
cahern3d
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Chris Ahern
Company Details: DotProduct
Company Position Title: VP of Sales and Marketing

Post by cahern3d »

Hello Gary. Dot3D is a great tool to have in your toolbox. Today you can use it simply with an iPhone Pro or iPad Pro. It can augment your surveying toolbox very nicely and inexpensively because it allows the use of survey workflows and integrates with other survey tools such as RTK, total stations, laser scanners and drones. It is true that the range of the sensors that Dot3D currently integrates with (stay tuned) do not equate to a TLS. What is not true is that no laser is involved. Dot3D integrates with multiple sensors, all of which have some active laser component to assist in depth capture. The most popular today is the LiDAR embedded in iPhone and iPad Pros. It is not the same technology as a typical spinning TLS but it does include an active laser component for determining depth and produce point clouds.

We do have a large and growing customer base that uses Dot3D to capture facilities for architecture. It is one of our hottest segments. These are repeat customers who are very happy with how Dot3D augments their toolbox. Also, it is very inexpensive and easy to try. It has a Free mode and a free trial of the Pro features which include the survey workflows.

If your TLS workflow is working fine for you then no worries. What our customers are usually trying to do is scale and/or improve their workflows and through put by using accurate, inexpensive 3D capture to their toolbox. I hope you find this helpful and I encourage you to reach out to us at [email protected].

Return to “DotProduct”