I have made <0 posts
Full Name: charles
Company Details: micron applied dentistry SAS
Company Position Title: unipersonal
Linkedin Profile: No

3d laser scanner built with 2d profilometer and linear stage

Post by charmstr »

Hi everyone,

for my doctorate thesis i'm setting up an experiment and i require a bit of advice. please :D

I'm basically building a 3d laser scanner with a 2d laser scanner that will remain in a fixed position. (MLWL131 model from wenglor).
The stage will be sliding under the laser scanner, in one direction on a linear axis (let's call this axis y).

For a given y value, i will need to get multiple 2d laser acquisitions, because i want to stress the object i will scan.
Then i will reconstruct the 3d image and take into account the stress applied to the surface with some software tricks.
note: I intend to use voxels of 10μm volume to process my data.

My question is, do you have an affordable set up that comes up to mind for realizing the following?
My requirements are:
- to know the position of the stage with a 1-2um accuracy. (The laser i intend to use has a ±10μm accuracy on the y and z axis.)
- to end up in my code with a tupple close to this : { y_value_at_given_time_t, laser_acquisition_at_given_time_t }
- be able to do multiple 2d laser acquisitions for the same given y value.
- have a stage that travels at least 150mm in the y axis.

i'm thinking of two solutions:
1) using a stepper motor with the required accuracy (1 or 2 μm), and work only with discrete y values. I could easily do multiple acquisitions then move onto the next y values... so any suggestion?
2) the ideal (more relevant to the context and goal of the experiement), would be for me to have infinite y values, and then after all my acquisitions, to be able to regroup the y values belonging to the same 10 μm voxels.
exemple: all the acquisitions for which y value is within 0 - 10 μm belong to one group, then from 10 to 20μm the second group, and so on.
then i reconstruct my 3d model with voxels.

Do you have something in mind? Any suggestion/question is welcome.

Respectful regards,

charlie armstrong

Return to “Request Help With Projects”