Point Cloud to Model

4M, ARES, AutoCad, BricsCAD, DraftSite, GstarCAD, IntelliCAD, LiteCAD, MicroStation, nanoCAD 21, VeCAD, ZWCAD Etc.
tdevil
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jim LaPier
Company Details: IMPACT Designs
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Point Cloud to Model

Post by tdevil »

I haven't seen this asked in a bit but I wanted to ask the million dollar point cloud question:
Is there no easy way of getting a point cloud scan converted into a 3D model and / or 2D plan aside from tracing?
Right now I take the RCP model into AutoCAD, create a slice and trace it or I take the point cloud E57 into Sketchup and effectively trace it with push / pull & shapes. I have tried exporting the AutoCAD slice to a block but the results are usually not worth the time it takes vs tracing it.
I've seen some posts about using software to create meshes for civil purposes but I only deal in buildings, warehouses / stages / studios / some residential homes right now.

Is there no "magic bullet" to convert a point cloud into even a dumb mesh model? I feel like with technology growing every day this should be closer than it is, especially with AI running around creating photo realistic renders from a description.
Thanks!
GCFdesign
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gary Fellows
Company Details: GCF Design Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Point Cloud to Model

Post by GCFdesign »

Mesh modelling isn't too difficult.
Regards,

Gary Fellows

Director

GCF Design Limited

https://gcfdesign.wixsite.com/gcfdesign
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Point Cloud to Model

Post by smacl »

tdevil wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 pm I haven't seen this asked in a bit but I wanted to ask the million dollar point cloud question:
Is there no easy way of getting a point cloud scan converted into a 3D model and / or 2D plan aside from tracing?
Right now I take the RCP model into AutoCAD, create a slice and trace it or I take the point cloud E57 into Sketchup and effectively trace it with push / pull & shapes. I have tried exporting the AutoCAD slice to a block but the results are usually not worth the time it takes vs tracing it.
I've seen some posts about using software to create meshes for civil purposes but I only deal in buildings, warehouses / stages / studios / some residential homes right now.

Is there no "magic bullet" to convert a point cloud into even a dumb mesh model? I feel like with technology growing every day this should be closer than it is, especially with AI running around creating photo realistic renders from a description.
Thanks!
Automated extraction of 2D information is quite straightforward, I've put together short example below using SCC* based on a NavVis point cloud.

youtu.be/7VXRLPuN4dI

Another much older example based on a Geoslam scan;

youtu.be/VHKv7zNiX80

What you can extract comes down very much to the quality of the point cloud, where a floor plan more often ends up being more like a ceiling plan as this is where you are most likely to find a noise free section. The above examples are also using wall and floor classifiers to get rid of noise which are a great benefit for automated extraction. If you're meshing building internals you'll also need to get rid of noise and other objects as part of the process. The newer Leica tools offer good classification as do other vendors. If you want to dig deeper and develop your own classifiers, have a look at Florent Poux's work which is all open sourced.

* Full disclosure, I develop and sell SCC so am entirely biased here. There are other options out there that provide similar functionality.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “CAD Software”