Best way to manually align RCP / RCS files?

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
loganmcg6
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Logan McGuinness
Company Details: Weitz Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Best way to manually align RCP / RCS files?

Post by loganmcg6 »

Hello! Hoping someone might have some insight into an issue I'm facing. I currently have a bunch of RCP files (with support folders containing .rcs files) that were somehow exported incorrectly from Reg360. (Assuming this was an international foot- US Survey foot conversion bust but that's another can of worms). They are not aligning with the models I need them to, but we do not have time to go into Reg360, reverse engineer our control bust and re-export everything.

So - does anyone have suggestions of the best way to manually align / move rcs/rcp files AND keep them in this format? We are needing to turn over rcp/s files to an owner so they pop right into revit models in place. Have looked at appending into CAD, moving, exporting NWD....this however is not solving our problem of needing to turn over rcp/s files.

Anyone know if it is maybe possible to import a shared coordinates floor plan into recap, move the point cloud and then save that as an RCP? Or something similar?

Any suggestions welcome and thank you in advance!!
GfromMIZ
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Griffin Johnson
Company Details: Olsson
Company Position Title: Associate Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Best way to manually align RCP / RCS files?

Post by GfromMIZ »

If you're saying it might be a conversion bust, I just have to ask: Have you messed with adding the 0.99999803 scale to the scan?
loganmcg6
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by loganmcg6 »

I have not...would that mean applying that scale for X and Y values of targets and re-applying control to see if that fixes the issue?
GfromMIZ
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Griffin Johnson
Company Details: Olsson
Company Position Title: Associate Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by GfromMIZ »

In my mind you could do this in post. If you're bringing it into cad you would use the scaling on import to scale the whole cloud. In navisworks, you can scale the X,Y, and Z after import to fix it's positioning.

Also, is this revit model using site coordinates? Is the scan currently just slightly off by a few feet? or is the scan out in Botswana compared to the model?
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech

Post by Justin Richards »

Open the model in Revit, verify the Coordinate Base value isn't the problem, if everything is good import the point cloud, draw lines and measure from the point cloud to the model what it would take to align them. Apply the coordinates to ReCap under Display settings, Points, Update Origin then hit save. (picture is blurry but the ReCap side is X:10, Y:-10 and I didn't adjust the Z but it's the same concept
RECAP_ORIGIN1.JPG

Delete the point cloud in Revit and reimport RCP to verify.
RECAP_ORIGIN2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justfits84
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Kenneth Gallant
Company Details: Just Fits Oilfield Services
Company Position Title: Just Fits Oilfield Services

Post by justfits84 »

Its been a bit since I have done it in Recap as it can be a bit hit and miss if you are not doing it frequently. You need complete each axis separately, you would shift X save and export bring it into your model and measure Y. Shift Y in Recap save and export, bring it into your model and measure Z. Shift Z in Recap save and export..and everything should be where you intend it to be at that point. Recap seems to do some sort of scaling at the origin wheras if you shift X in Recap Y&Z also move or are no longer relative to the original origin. Perhaps this has changed in the most recent versions.
loganmcg6
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by loganmcg6 »

Thank you for all the responses!

GfromMIZ it is like 6' off from the model when overlaid in Navisworks. The model is tied to civil coordinates, as far as I am aware. Which is why I'm thinking it's a target control coordinate bust
justfits84
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Kenneth Gallant
Company Details: Just Fits Oilfield Services
Company Position Title: Just Fits Oilfield Services

Post by justfits84 »

Sorry minor correction. Rotations need to be done separately. XYZ shift can be done in the same foul swoop. I just did a transformation in Recap this afternoon due to a Scene project file apparently corrupting in storage rendering it useless. It jogged the memory on whats taking place in there I was worked through it.

Return to “Registration Software”