Mesh or Point Cloud: Which is Better?

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.

Mesh or Point Cloud: Which is Better?

Poll runs till Mon May 27, 2024 3:22 pm

- Point Cloud
74%
- Mesh
26%

Total votes: 23

vmalave
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Valentin Malave
Company Details: JP Global Digital
Company Position Title: Project Lead and Technical Sales
Skype Name: N/A
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Mesh or Point Cloud: Which is Better?

Post by vmalave »

The right tool for the right job, right?

It all depends on the end-use of the data collected. For engineering purposes, especially in the design phase and/or Scan-to-BIM workflows, the standard is usually a Point Cloud. And even more on complex projects with components-dense areas.

If you are looking for a more “realistic” visualization, something that can simulate surfaces, then, go with the mesh. If you are working from a photogrammetry standpoint, again, go with meshes because it is data extracted from a 2D and it will render a nice-looking surface and texture, but please mind that it could be less accurate.

If your project requires a higher precision and accuracy, I recommend using point clouds.
pfirmsto
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Peter Firmstone
Company Details: Zeus Project Services Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by pfirmsto »

RobM wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:03 pm
pfirmsto wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:16 am Sequoia produces a high-quality mesh, 360 images can be rendered on top of the mesh, this provides photo realistic quality, far better than any point cloud at 20% of the original size.
Is Sequoia still available? I thought that piece of software was cancelled a few years ago?
Yes, Sequoia has been cancelled, we still have a licence, although it is now unsupported. We're still looking for software that can provide equivalent functionality, quality and detail. Sequoia is capable of producing an accurate mesh, there are people on the forum, who are suggesting mesh is less accurate than point clouds, our experiences from meshing, resulted in the production of higher accuracy point clouds.

We found we had to trim scans to 30 to 40m, radii, otherwise the surface noise cause by registration error accumulations from more distant scans would result in a rough surface mesh; smooth surfaces would appear rough. To improve our mesh quality, we applied least squares analysis with higher accuracy longer range scanners to produce a control point cloud with better registration, that resulted in a smoother mesh, we still trim short-range high-speed scan radii, as short-range high-speed scanners have lower angular accuracy, which results in greater error at distance. What we learned from meshing, enabled us to improve point cloud accuracy, so it really comes down to methodology. If the scan control network doesn't include least squares analysis, then no, the point cloud will be less accurate than a quality mesh and it will be clearly evident in mesh quality. Meshing will definitely show up a poor-quality point cloud, which may not be otherwise evident from inspecting the point cloud. If you want to find out whether you're producing a quality point cloud, try meshing it, errors will stick out like a red nose on a reindeer.

Sequoia allowed us to mesh large industrial plant and it broke it up into a grid, which was beneficial for reverse engineering.
JNally
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by JNally »

As others have said above. It comes down to what do you need it for?

Some people just want a pretty looking model to showcase their site, for the likes of orientation inductions etc.

Others then are as-built modelling and would require a point cloud.

I dont think its as simple as 1 or the other.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

pfirmsto wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 amMeshing will definitely show up a poor-quality point cloud, which may not be otherwise evident from inspecting the point cloud. If you want to find out whether you're producing a quality point cloud, try meshing it, errors will stick out like a red nose on a reindeer.
I definitely agree with this. Although a mesh is a derivative data product and inevitably loses some detail relative to the raw point cloud it will also highlight any defects, even in good point clouds.

I didn't vote in the poll because this question is a little bit like asking "Contour Map or Point Cloud: Which is Better?" The answer depends entirely on how I'm trying to use it.
Jed

Return to “Opinion Polls”