Full Name: Dimitris Asimakopoulos
Company Details: Self employed
Company Position Title: Land surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Lines do not appear in PointCab

Post by Dimitris80 »

Hello.
Novice laser scanner user here.
I ve used Point Cab 3.8 R6 and i have a problem sometimes.
During the insertion of some point clouds in Point Cab, nothing appears in the tile in any view, all i can see are blanc windows.
In project info there is the number of points and the characteristics of the cloud, but i can see nothing.
This happened twice in some late projects, although in another project with the use of the same scanner and settings in Point Cab everything went fine and i could draw.
The scanner i use is FJD Trion p1 SLAM.
If anyone has any ideas, i would appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Lines do not appear in PointCab

Post by VXGrid »

Dimitris80 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:53 pm Hello.
Novice laser scanner user here.
I ve used Point Cab 3.8 R6 and i have a problem sometimes.
During the insertion of some point clouds in Point Cab, nothing appears in the tile in any view, all i can see are blanc windows.
In project info there is the number of points and the characteristics of the cloud, but i can see nothing.
This happened twice in some late projects, although in another project with the use of the same scanner and settings in Point Cab everything went fine and i could draw.
The scanner i use is FJD Trion p1 SLAM.
If anyone has any ideas, i would appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
There are a bunch of possible reasons for that.
First try to click B, then you should see the bounding boxes of the tiles where data should be available.
Another possible thing is that the unit was wrongly set during the import (normally point clouds are in meters, but some manufacturers write them as mm).
Furthermore you can check that the point cloud files are available, its the lsd files in the _pointcloud folder, there should be a couple of files with that ending.
Lastly check, that the used image resolution in the job editor is somewhat reasonable for your project, I guess 1 or 2 cm.

If all of that does not work, verify how the file in CloudCompare looks

Return to “PointCab”