How can I make the middle point on the surface?

Discuss Geomagic software here.
clairepark
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Claire Park
Company Details: University of Minnesota
Company Position Title: PhD Student

How can I make the middle point on the surface?

Post by clairepark »

I need the middle point between the finger tip and finger root. I used the "Between 2 Points" function, but I realized that it is in space, not on the surface. How can I make the middle point on surface based on the finger tip point and finger root point?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robertjswells
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Robert Wells
Company Details: OR3D
Company Position Title: Senior Application Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: How can I make the middle point on the surface?

Post by robertjswells »

Good question, there are probably a few ways we could do this depending on what you are trying to achieve. Are we looking at Design X? (I am on my phone and it is not obvious from what I can see)
Of course one way would be to place a vector between two of your points (the finger axis). You can then construct a plane using your mid point and the vector choosing "pick point and normal axis". This plane could then be used to create a mesh sketch around the finger, like a ring. Place a high fidelity spline upon the resulting pink poly line. Then back out of the sketch you can create points using "n division". You can create as many points as you like on the sketch spline which will effectively be on the surface of the finger.
I can check later but it may also be possible to then project the point of choosing to a particular poly face. I know you can create a point of intersection between a vector and an intersecting poly face.
As I say, lots of ways to do this.
What do you need to construct the point for?
clairepark
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Claire Park
Company Details: University of Minnesota
Company Position Title: PhD Student

Re: How can I make the middle point on the surface?

Post by clairepark »

Hi! Thank you for your explanation.

I'm using Geomagic Control X. The reason why I want to make the mid points, I want to measure the distance (finger width) between them. I read your explanation and I drew the plane in my brain (cause I don't have Geomagic my home). I have several questions.

1. When creating a plane, the current mid point is not on the surface but inside it, so I was not able to pick the point. Do you know how to pick this inside point?

2. Assuming that you created a plane (based on the midpoint and the vector of the two finger points) as you described, I don't think the finger will be cut into a ring shape. Am I misunderstanding this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Geomagic”