Leica Tripods - Feet are poking through rubber shoes

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
nateofdrake117
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: David Chen
Company Details: Architectural Surveying
Company Position Title: Architectural Surveyor

Leica Tripods - Feet are poking through rubber shoes

Post by nateofdrake117 »

We have these Leica heavy duty tripods and within a year, the metal spikes would start poking holes through the rubber feet. Anyone else experience this? Pretty bad design to be non-replaceable and be experiencing this within only one year.
PXL_20240118_215938807.jpg
PXL_20240118_215940717.jpg
PXL_20240118_220029813.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Leica Tripods - Feet are poking through rubber shoes

Post by Kruse »

While I've never used a survey tripod like the one in your photo (we exclusively use wood/fiberglass tripods) generally our survey tripods don't even come with rubber covers like that, :lol: . Also, ours have replaceble threaded inserts so you can simply replace the tips after they get worn out.

Looking at your photos, I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to rig up a removeable rubber cover (see image) utilizing the rubber coils/springs already attached to your tripod to help make the rubber caps still removeable. Hell, if you exclusively use the rubber feet, then maybe cut off or grid the metal points flat, drill and tap the ends (assuming they're not hardened steel :lol:) so you can simply buy the threaded rubber feet you want. Quick google searches show lots of options that would allow removeable tips to where you could replace all 3 legs for less than $10 after the retrofit. could even buy a set of wheels so you have a tripod you can just scoot around like we do with our NEDO tripods for large floor plans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Leica Tripods - Feet are poking through rubber shoes

Post by Kruse »

Another quick thought... If you never use the metal points, just grind off the tips and keep the rubber covers in tact. The metal point wil no longer reach through the bottom as the rubber cover should have the additional space (from what was ground off) to prevent the metal tips from poking through.

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”