V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Marius Putrimas
Company Details: Terra Modus
Company Position Title: Undet product manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Undet for SketchUp 2023 | New feature update

Post by mariusP »

I know that SketchUp is not very popular in the LSF community. But for those who use SketchUp, the new Undet tools will help you to do point cloud modelling faster ;)

This new Undet release introduces 15 new tools and is compatible with SketchUp 2022 and 2023. If you are new to Undet software, all our software solutions can be found here: https://www.undet.com/

youtu.be/lTXBXn6h-eI

List of new tools:

1. Profile Builder Tool
2. Point Cloud Classification into Logical Classes
3. Reverse Clipping Box
4. Digital Terrain Model (DTM) Builder
5. 3D Polygon Meshing
6. Auto Texturing Tools for Multiple Planes
7. Horizontal Planes Fitting
8. Actual Planes Fitting
9. Box Extraction
10. Space Volume Extraction
11. Circle Extraction
12. Auto Axis Set-Up
13. Scan Data Colouring Mode
14. Model Inspection Report Generation
15. Preview Points Density Control for Visualization
Undet Point Cloud Software provides software solutions for AutoCAD, ARES Commander, Revit, and SketchUp point cloud users to save time, increase efficiency, and reduce errors in creating 3D models and 2D drawings.

:arrow: www.undet.com
Michael1221
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Michael Plehn
Company Details: Alloy Architecture and Construction
Company Position Title: Modeling Manager

Re: Undet for SketchUp 2023 | New feature update

Post by Michael1221 »

Can someone explain the difference between using the feature extraction tool to identify a plane and then generate the ground plane, vs. using the new DTM buiilder? I have had good results with the former, but the new DTM seems to create too much geometry for my computer to process. Is there a difference in the end result?
mariusP
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Marius Putrimas
Company Details: Terra Modus
Company Position Title: Undet product manager

Re: Undet for SketchUp 2023 | New feature update

Post by mariusP »

Michael1221 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:21 pm Can someone explain the difference between using the feature extraction tool to identify a plane and then generate the ground plane, vs. using the new DTM buiilder? I have had good results with the former, but the new DTM seems to create too much geometry for my computer to process. Is there a difference in the end result?
Hi Micheal,

There are two tools to create a surface mesh, as you mentioned.

1. Feature extraction tools.
This tool is more sophisticated because it automatically detects ground points and eliminates non-ground points: vegetation, cars, poles, captured moving objects... The mesh density depends on the recognition step, which must be at least 4-10 times the average point cloud density.
2. DTM builder. This tool is designed to create a mesh when you have already extracted and imported only ground points. The tool takes each point as a vertex and combines it with adjacent points to create a mesh geometry. The detail of the mesh depends on the number of point cloud points in the active clipping box region.

Which tool to use depends on the data you have imported. Examples below:

Situation A. 3D point cloud data covers the measured object: ground cover, vegetation, and structures. In this case, you must use Automatic feature extraction tools to extract the ground mesh. The DTM tool will not work here.

Situation B. The imported point cloud points represent terrain only. The DTM Builder tool is handy here, as you no longer need to detect ground surface points. If you use the Automatic Feature extraction tool in this situation, the algorithm will still try to select points on the ground surface and skip some of the points, resulting a mesh that does not accurately represent the points of the imported point cloud.

Undet Point Cloud Software provides software solutions for AutoCAD, ARES Commander, Revit, and SketchUp point cloud users to save time, increase efficiency, and reduce errors in creating 3D models and 2D drawings.

:arrow: www.undet.com

Return to “Undet”