arcgiser
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Hoscks
Company Details: hongtaiyang company
Company Position Title: hongtaiyang company

Deformation monitoring of Wind Turbine Blades

Post by arcgiser »

Which software can be used to complete the Deformation monitoring of wind turbine blades? Can you tell me if you know? Thank you very much.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Re: Deformation monitoring of Wind Turbine Blades

Post by Jamesrye »

I guess it depends what level of deformation you are looking to see.

This could be done with a portable scanner like the HANDYSCAN. Then you'd model the turbine in something like CATIA or GEOMAGIC. Then compare to a design model to look for deviations.

If you're not looking for very small deformations, then you could use a laser scanner like the P40 - again make a mesh model and compare to a design model. I think you can do this in CYCLONE 3DR.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

For TLS;
Before and after scans I would recommend newer version of TBC as it shows the direction of the deformation. If you dont have TBC cloudcompare is also an option but it only shows deformation but doesnt tell you what direction it is going.
Scan vs BIM model I would recommend cloudcompare if you are on a tight budget, but best is Geomagic if you can afford the license.
For handheld; Geomagic
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Kruse »

We use Cyclone 3DR for monitoring structural deformations in our construction projects for various steel and concrete structures. Multiple ways it can be done by either comparing scans/meshes against BIM Models or comparing 1 scan vs another follow-up scan to see how things are changing. 3DR has several ways you can align and overlap datasets for this analysis if the various datasets aren't in the same coordinate system or location. It works really well for our applications, but it's not a cheap software license either.
arcgiser
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by arcgiser »

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to Jamesrye, Leandre Robotaile, and Kruse for answering this question. The on-site scanning data can be easily obtained by directly scanning. However, considering the on-site environment, it is difficult for the blades to achieve a true static state, which may cause some deviation in the data results. How did everyone solve this problem?

The scanning results can be completed through 3DR software grid modeling, but the design model cannot be obtained, so the comparison may not be completed in the future. It is still necessary to find the original design model.

Thank you again for your detailed answers! thank you!
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by smacl »

arcgiser wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:34 am First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to Jamesrye, Leandre Robotaile, and Kruse for answering this question. The on-site scanning data can be easily obtained by directly scanning. However, considering the on-site environment, it is difficult for the blades to achieve a true static state, which may cause some deviation in the data results. How did everyone solve this problem?

The scanning results can be completed through 3DR software grid modeling, but the design model cannot be obtained, so the comparison may not be completed in the future. It is still necessary to find the original design model.

Without a design model, the approach I've used is to scan an existing model which can then be used to create a reference model. It would have to be static while scanned and you'd probably also need to create a number of reference points on it that can be used as the basis of a rigid 6 parameter transformation if you will be comparing to a similar object in a different position at some point in the future. Alternatively, you may be able to use C2C to achieve this as what it is doing is very similar albeit for different goals.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
arcgiser
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by arcgiser »

smacl wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:17 am
arcgiser wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:34 am First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to Jamesrye, Leandre Robotaile, and Kruse for answering this question. The on-site scanning data can be easily obtained by directly scanning. However, considering the on-site environment, it is difficult for the blades to achieve a true static state, which may cause some deviation in the data results. How did everyone solve this problem?

Without a design model, the approach I've used is to scan an existing model which can then be used to create a reference model. It would have to be static while scanned and you'd probably also need to create a number of reference points on it that can be used as the basis of a rigid 6 parameter transformation if you will be comparing to a similar object in a different position at some point in the future. Alternatively, you may be able to use C2C to achieve this as what it is doing is very similar albeit for different goals.
Thank you for your answer. I understand what you mean. It is a good method to compare the scanning results between different grids or clouds, but it is important to ensure that the object is absolutely stationary during the scanning process.

Return to “General Chat”