V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RIEGL VZ600i

Post by dhirota »

Not too much news from anywhere on the Riegl VZ600i. Still have not received my demo data sets, maybe this coming week.

RIEGL-SPAR-JAPAN.jpg

I have been invited to see the first demonstration of the VZ600i in the USA January 11,12,13 in Florida. I decided that the 12 hour one-way flight and the US$4,000 round trip airline ticket was too much to handle before the Geoweek demonstration that Riegl will be conducting of the VZ600i. I decided to post this in the event that some folks near Orlando, FL, who might not be attending GeoWeek, would like to see the VZ600i in action. They should contact Riegl USA for an appointment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I never received my VZ600i demo scans. I would like to see it working perfectly in 4 days at GeoWeek.

Here is a question for you, how fast do you think the scanner pictured below can rotate and still capture accurate point clouds?

VZ600i.jpg

I have an answer, but I will let you know in 4 days when I see it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

smacl wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:26 am
dhirota wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:49 pmI am not sure why there are "headaches" from users about files sizes from their scans. I have not heard/seen these comments from the many NavVis users that I personally know, considering that we own a NavVis M6 and VLX, which have scans, images, and other file types as part of the database. The NavVis raw files are larger than their finished files which have the dynamic objects and repetitive points removed (we normally post-process to a 5mm grid). There have been positive comments from LSF viewers on the color and clarity of NavVis finished scan files.
I think you may have misunderstood me here. As I've written on a number of occasions, NavVis are ahead of the field here in that they've successfully addressed the scan size issue through rationalizing (as opposed to simply decimating) the point cloud is such a way as to remove the bloated size we see in some point clouds. My point was that other manufacturers should be applying similar techniques. With a static scanner capturing millions of points per second we see a massive number of redundant points close to the setup position in order to get the desired density further away. Where these points are coplanar and not adjacent a change in the surface, most can be eliminated. Simply decimating by comparison removes points we'd like to keep. The NavVis solution goes further in terms of introducing extra calculated points further away to provide a uniform Cartesian density, where a TLS gives points at uniform horizontal and vertical angles and other mobile scanning systems give points at uniform angle and distance (assuming constant velocity). Given this new Riegl scanner can capture points at 2.2mhz it would clearly benefit from similar techniques to rationalize the density.

Edit: For an example of the 'headaches' relating to large data, see the following very recent thread. This seems to be a rather common theme over the past few years.
This one unique thing about NavVis makes it a very good option for Cloud to mesh software or SaaS operations. There is very good uniformity in the mesh along with greatly reducing the number of necessary points and the size of the files. This becomes a bigger issue for agencies/companies storing an entire library of reference scans/3D data (particularly off site) for documentation, asset management and long-term design projects. (Although shuttling between Low-cost static BLOB storage and active dynamic storage can help)
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

dhirota wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:23 am I never received my VZ600i demo scans. I would like to see it working perfectly in 4 days at GeoWeek.

Here is a question for you, how fast do you think the scanner pictured below can rotate and still capture accurate point clouds?

VZ600i.jpg

I have an answer, but I will let you know in 4 days when I see it.
It has been another month, and I have still not received my demo scans, but hopefully something will happen in another month (if one is patient, occasionally good things sometimes happen).

I unfortunately could not stay for the VZ600i demonstration at GeoWeek, so I did not see it in kinematic mode rotating in RADAR mode in 3sec. I have seen a VZ400i in kinematic mode rotating 360 degrees in 3 seconds.

We completed a simple VZ400i project at a resort along the beach front walkway last week. We processed the scans using Riegl RiScan Pro version 17.0 with an internal filter that retained all the returns (10 using a VZ600i). Although we used a VZ400i, a VZ600i would result with a similar effect of the visualizing the landscape as shown in the image below in RGB (first return, followed in RED for the multiple returns of the buildings + distant coconut trees embedded in the dense tropical vegetation). This can be visualized of the total tree detail located in the center/lower third of the image next to the beach walkway.

RESORT-VZ400i.jpg
In this project, we were trying to locate the buildings along the beach without disturbing guests in their US$2K to $20K per night accommodations. The trick here is to finish the scans early in the morning while guests are still in bed, we used RTK for registration (so did not require physical/surveyed targets). Total field time (less than you think) for 22 scan positions (VZ400i=45seconds, VZ600i=30seconds per scan position including color RGB imaging).
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

For those that might not be familiar with Riegl scanners being part of robotic systems, here is an example I posted many years ago.

viewtopic.php?p=44399#p44399

For those that not have ventured into what Riegl has to offer with their VZi scanning systems, pictured below is the Riegl "ROS driver" to use with their VZi systems.

ROS2-RIEGL-VZi.jpg

It appears to be using Ubuntu-Linux-ROS which is similar to our NavVIS-Ubuntu-ROS system.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

dhirota wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:09 pm ...
It has been another month, and I have still not received my demo scans, but hopefully something will happen in another month (if one is patient, occasionally good things sometimes happen).
While I have been waiting, for those that are either thinking about purchasing or looking for more information, the following is a better deal for multiple reasons.

GNSS-RTK-RECEIVER+SONY MOUNT.jpg

The RIEGL GNSS RTK Receiver ONLY, Ri-RTKM Part-No. HW-VZI-06-008-00 is approximately the same cost as Ri-RTKM Part-No. HW-VZI-06-007-00, so you would receive a "FREE" camera mount.

If you are planning to use a Trimble R12 as we have on our VZ400i for a GNSS sensor, using a Reigl GNSS sensor will save you US$5K to 25K depending on your purchasing ability for new/refurbished GNSS sensors. We are receiving 10mm horizontal, 20mm vertical with 25 to 30 satellites and our Trimble NetR9 base station using our Trimble R12. Still waiting to check out the Riegl GNSS sensor.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

dhirota wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:18 pm
dhirota wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:09 pm ...
While I have been waiting, for those that are either thinking about purchasing or looking for more information, the following is a better deal for multiple reasons.

GNSS-RTK-RECEIVER+SONY MOUNT.jpg

The RIEGL GNSS RTK Receiver ONLY, Ri-RTKM Part-No. HW-VZI-06-008-00 is approximately the same cost as Ri-RTKM Part-No. HW-VZI-06-007-00, so you would receive a "FREE" camera mount.

If you are planning to use a Trimble R12 as we have on our VZ400i for a GNSS sensor, using a Reigl GNSS sensor will save you US$5K to 25K depending on your purchasing ability for new/refurbished GNSS sensors. We are receiving 10mm horizontal, 20mm vertical with 25 to 30 satellites and our Trimble NetR9 base station using our Trimble R12. Still waiting to check out the Riegl GNSS sensor.
Is it an L1/L2 receiver Dennis?
And which constellations does it support.
My current Riegl Rtk-gnss antenna is not being used because of only L1 and only GPS support, no glonass, nor Galileo.

Don't know about the vz600i but with the 400i you cannot see much info only if it is fixed and the number of satellites, no pdop info.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

It is supposed to be L1/L2 and should support 4 major constellations. It is Part No. HW-VZI-06-006-00 shown below. You need to check with your country's base station, I am assuming it will work.

RIEGL GNSS.jpg

We have used the Riegl L1 antenna on our VZ400i and have received GPS, GLONASS in our area, which results in 10 to15 satellites. To receive better response with Reigl RTK you need the 4 major constellations. If you have a GNSS sensor that receives the 4 constellations already, you are not going to save anything, unless you can sell it for more than the cost of the Riegl GNSS sensor or use it as GNSS unit for land surveying as we are doing.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

While waiting, I decided to check out carbon fiber tripods and purchased a test unit below.

CARBON-FIBER-TRIPOD.jpg

folded length = 57cm=22.5inch
max height=181cm=71.25inch
min height=15cm=6inch
max load=18kg=39.7lbs
weight=2.15kg=4.75lbs

We are using NEDO tripods, which are totally indestructible, but weigh significantly more than 5lbs. We are looking at building our own dollys, rather than continue to use the Manfrotto ones we currently use.

I also purchased 2X SONY alpha 7RV cameras with 10mm lenses. I may have to purchase another tripod if my test works out.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

dhirota wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:25 am While waiting, I decided to check out carbon fiber tripods and purchased a test unit below.

CARBON-FIBER-TRIPOD.jpg

folded length = 57cm=22.5inch
max height=181cm=71.25inch
min height=15cm=6inch
max load=18kg=39.7lbs
weight=2.15kg=4.75lbs

We are using NEDO tripods, which are totally indestructible, but weigh significantly more than 5lbs. We are looking at building our own dollys, rather than continue to use the Manfrotto ones we currently use.

I also purchased 2X SONY alpha 7RV cameras with 10mm lenses. I may have to purchase another tripod if my test works out.
I'm too scared to use these tripods with my vz400i. For lighter scanners like the new 600i i think they're alright.

I normally use my regular wooden sokkia tripods. Been thinking about carbon fibre nestle but haven't purchased yet.

My scanner once fell because of a flimsy tripod so i'd rather stick with sturdy wooden ones.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “Riegl”