NavVis VLX

BLK2GO, KAARTA, GeoSLAM, Gexcel HERON MS Twin, NavVis VLX, PARACOSM and SurphSLAM
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture
Linkedin Profile: Yes

NavVis VLX

Post by ericguizzetti »

I was curious why we are not seeing any NavVis stuff here in the Dynamic Mapping Scanners Forum. It's almost like it either doesn't exist or NavVis is being brutal about sharing actual data prior. Does anyone have a comment?
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Re: NavVis VLX

Post by smacl »

ericguizzetti wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:13 am I was curious why we are not seeing any NavVis stuff here in the Dynamic Mapping Scanners Forum. It's almost like it either doesn't exist or NavVis is being brutal about sharing actual data prior. Does anyone have a comment?
There's a lot of NavVis content in the forum, just nothing much here, see search.php?keywords=NavVis Some of Dennis Hirota's posts are well worth a read. I pinged Kyle Hodgson recently from NavVis in the UK and he's now following the forum.

Looking at some of your own recent posts, I see you've hit accuracy issues with your own NavVis kit in some scenarios. I think it would be really useful for the forum for you to go into these in more detail so that people are aware of where the pitfalls lie and can either avoid them or take a different approach. I got into a discussion running training course on SCC last week and my opinion is that solely IMU based slam needs to be controlled and QAed using an independent method of measurement. If you have RTK outdoors, this is not an issue, though occupying known points for QA still makes a lot of sense. I've also seen some very large errors on IMU only slam derived point clouds.

Great thing about this place is that, while many of us have our biases, the forum is manufacturer neutral so you can call it as you see it.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

Kyle has helped us a lot.

Eric, are you in the US?

There must be a US version of Kyle over there...probably easier to understand their accent too. :D
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

sim.herrod wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:22 pm Kyle has helped us a lot.

Eric, are you in the US?

There must be a US version of Kyle over there...probably easier to understand their accent too. :D
Kyle's been very helpful for us too, for all the hype about various pieces of kit it's amazing how much comes down to competent and patient local support.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
kyle.hod
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Kyle Hodgson
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Customer Success Manager

Post by kyle.hod »

ericguizzetti wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:13 am I was curious why we are not seeing any NavVis stuff here in the Dynamic Mapping Scanners Forum. It's almost like it either doesn't exist or NavVis is being brutal about sharing actual data prior. Does anyone have a comment?
Hi Eric,

Don’t you have your own VLX data, your company is a happy VLX user? But if you do need some, we have some freely available demo data sets on our website?

If you are having issues more than happy to help you either myself or with my American counterpart.

Maybes a reason why you do not see much regarding NavVis on the forums is because we pride ourselves in having an amazing team of customer success managers as well as support engineers who really go above and beyond to help all our customers wherever possible.

Have a great day Eric and also thanks Sim & Shane for the positive feedback.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

sim.herrod wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:22 pm Kyle has helped us a lot.

Eric, are you in the US?

I don't know who Kyle is, but the NavVis guy I've dealt with in demos and such is Marek Kolton out of NY?
We always used control on all our demos (Wide open village area 3500' linear streets, parking garage and new Hi-rise Office building and perimeter

Return to “Dynamic Mapping Scanners”