I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Noneya
Company Details: Business
Company Position Title: 3D scanning monkey
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Forgoing cloud manager

Post by Dane »

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this type of scanning but not scanning in general.
Our client has forced our hands (in the most positive way) to utilize Aveva 3d for all deliverables, so that's the route we're going.

We would eventually like to acquire our own terrestrial scanner, but for that purpose several things have to be taken into consideration.

It doesn't seem like Aveva is particularly open to other file types but its' own inhouse LFD. And seemingly, we would need Aveva cloud manager to create that file type.

The question(s?) then become; do we need cloud point manager to create LFD files? Does Aveva 3D accept E57 or similar open file types? Can we use any type of terrestrial with cloud manager or would we need both the accompanying software from the scanner manufacturer and then cloud manager on top of that?

Since we're being forced into the infrastructure, we would like to keep it simple, but this ordeal doesn't strike me a simple.

Many thanks in advance for any insights.
Graham
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: GrahamM
Company Details: AVEVA
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Re: Forgoing cloud manager

Post by Graham »

AVEVA E3D is design to use point cloud data in the Design, Modelling environment and is aimed at the Piping Designer, structural engineer. These users have no idea about capturing point clouds. There is a point cloud engine within E3D this though is not the same as the AVEVA Point Cloud Manager (APCM) as it runs with no UI and cannot import and generate datasets.

If you are a service provider supplying to point cloud data to be consumed within E3D you need to be looking to use the AVEVA Point Cloud Manager. The APCM is used to load point cloud data from multiple source e57, las, Z&F, Trimble, the list goes on and generate the Point Cloud deliverable lfd. As a result unless you as a service provider are delivering to the E3D user DABACON element data you don't need a copy of E3D.
Dane
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Noneya
Company Details: Business
Company Position Title: 3D scanning monkey
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Forgoing cloud manager

Post by Dane »

Graham wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:18 am If you are a service provider supplying to point cloud data to be consumed within E3D you need to be looking to use the AVEVA Point Cloud Manager. The APCM is used to load point cloud data from multiple source e57, las, Z&F, Trimble, the list goes on and generate the Point Cloud deliverable lfd. As a result unless you as a service provider are delivering to the E3D user DABACON element data you don't need a copy of E3D.
In this case we are both the people collecting the would be scan and the piping engineer and it seems we would need the APCM and then the house brand point cloud generator of our choice. I was really hoping to cut out just one of the links. But I'll have a look into APCM to see where i can find value besides just delivering the correct format for the E3d.

Many thanks!

Return to “AVEVA Suite”