IATA 2023 LITHIUM BATTERY GUIDANCE DOCUMENT

Please post any tips or advice you have in general relating to laser scanning either whilst onsite or office based.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

IATA 2023 LITHIUM BATTERY GUIDANCE DOCUMENT

Post by dhirota »

GeoWeek is less than 2 weeks away and I needed some cinema batteries (to power my RED KOMODO camera) which are not available in HNL unless you are willing to pay US$150.00 to send a US$400.00 1.4 lb lithium-ion battery into HNL by special air freight.

I was debating to purchase the CoreSWX 147Wh or the 98Wh batteries. According to several sources a passenger can now carry 2 each,100-160 Wh lithium batteries as carry-on luggage (with the approval of the airline/TSA person) and up to 15 (unlimited) less than 100 Wh lithium batteries as carry-on luggage.

I decided to check out the sources of carrying lithium-ion batteries for traveling on airplanes. We have been using the 99Wh limit of two per person for many years now with no reference documentation. For the USA, I checked the FAA and TSA and found the following documents for less than 100 Wh and 100Wh to 160Wh lithium-ion carry-on batteries.

FAA.jpg
TSA.jpg

I think the IATA.org is the international group for airline regulations, so I found the following 2023 Regulations:

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/05e6 ... cument.pdf

IATA-DOCUMENT.jpg

A summary are listed below

IATA-1.jpg
IATA-2.jpg
IATA-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: IATA 2023 LITHIUM BATTERY GUIDANCE DOCUMENT

Post by dhirota »

Having returned from GeoWeek in Denver, CO on Wednesday, February 15 with snow falling at DEN with TSA pre-check security lines jammed. I was concerned, so I was carrying the above documentation in case I was stopped by TSA for my carry-on with 7X 98Wh batteries as shown below.

CORE-SWX 98WH.jpg

I do not know if they would have cared if I had 8X more of these Hypercore NEO9 mini batteries, that are just great to use. It looks like most people on LSF are not using these, but they will in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “Tips & Advice”